Normal Range For Intraocular Pressure In Greyhounds?

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

My vet (gotta love her) did some research on normal ranges for intraocular pressures.

Kebo's uveitis is improving (IOP of 10 on right, 8 on left) after pred eye drops. The low-normal on her reference range is 10.

She got to wondering if blood values are inherently different in greyhounds, maybe intraocular pressure values are different.

She said she did a fairly extensive search in the available veterinary literature.

Does anyone here know if GHs have different IOPs?

I believe IOP for greys is the same as any other dog. Our normals here are 15-25. If anyone has any info to the contrary I'd be very interested if a copy/link could be posted so I can print it for my own personal greyhound medical library. (You know you're the crazy greyhound girl at your vet school when you get e-mails from the clinicians with greyhound articles... and you already have the article they're sending you!)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest greytkidsmom

I believe IOP for greys is the same as any other dog. Our normals here are 15-25. If anyone has any info to the contrary I'd be very interested if a copy/link could be posted so I can print it for my own personal greyhound medical library. (You know you're the crazy greyhound girl at your vet school when you get e-mails from the clinicians with greyhound articles... and you already have the article they're sending you!)

Thanks!

I went ahead and sent a consult form to OSU on the off chance the uveitis is related to his fibrosarcoma so I will definitely post any information about difference in reference ranges here.

Edited by greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

After a lightning-fast response from OSU, greyhounds have the same IOP range as regular dogs.

Greyt to know! How is your boy??

He is awesome! He has stopped rubbing his eyes and squinting and his pressures are a little better at each visit so I can't complain. Will just watch him carefully over the coming weeks. Our new vet is very conscientious - does a lot of reading and really seems to know her stuff.

He turned 10 last week and celebrated with a Greenie (yep, those back teeth work just fine).

His one year cancerversary (a new word I made up) is in April and that is when we will really celebrate. It has already been a year since the first surgery.

We still can't believe how well he has done and how fortunate we are to have him here to celebrate this birthday.