Car Shy.....

We've had Gila about a month now. She came from a foster who had her about 6 months. I take her and our other grey, Hadji, to a conservation area nearby for a walk in the woods every morning. At first she would hesitate, but did get in the car, now she puts on the brakes about 20 feet from the car and refuses to get any closer. I've had to carry her to get her in. Once she's in, she settles right down and seems to enjoy the ride. She does enjoy the walks in the woods and is excited when we get to the park. Lately as soon as I get her leash, she hangs her head and goes in the bedroom and lies down on her bed, even though Hadji is spinning around in excitement.The last few days I've let her stay in the house. I thought that she would get used to the routine, that the car ride ended in a happy event, but the opposite is happening. I talked to the foster, and she said Gila had broken her leg at the track and it wasn't set, so they had to have a vet re-set it, so her only experience is going to the vet a couple times a week. I've tried spending time with her treat training in the car, but she's not treat driven. She stands there shaking. I don't want to make her fear worse by forcing her to go in the car every morning, but I'd like to help her get over her fear and I'm not sure how to go about it. I hoped Hadji would show her car rides are fun (he's never seen an open car door he didn't try to jump in). Maybe she's still a little overwhelmed with all the changes, she's a very timid, shy dog.

I would have the leg checked again just to make sure she isn't straining it or having some pain from the increased walking. If you can rule that out, then I would think it's still adjusting to the routine. A month isn't that long to adjust.

We can't even say the words "Car" or "Ride" around here or we have a crazy boy on our hands who runs to the garage door waiting to go. :lol

Edited to add - the car sickness point is a good one. Maybe a ginger snap or two before a ride to settle the tummy. How long before the walk is she eating?

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My thought is the more she goes she'll learn she's going to a happy place and will always come back home again. Our little dog was like that because the only time she had been taken in the car was to board at the vet's or go to the vet so she associated the car with a negative experience. We just kept taking her, always treating her when getting her out of the car and back home again and she got over it. It took several weeks though so I guess patience is the key.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When you take her to the park, does she get in the car OK on the way home? or is she still reluctant/unhappy? Maybe she thinks you are going to take her and leave her someplace? Are there any loud noises outside you home on the way to the car?

I'm thinking if she was in a foster home for 6 months (long enough to begin to settle in and care for the family) she might be afraid you are "getting rid of her" too. I'd continue to take her places and make it as positive as possible; premium treats, scritches, lovin's.

Edited by june

I don't think it's car sickness, it's literally a 5 minute ride in a rural area. I don't think it's her leg either, that seems to have healed well, she races around the yard with Hadji with no ill effects or noticeable limping. She is afraid to get back in the car after going for the walk, too. I don't want to push it too much, she's still getting used to the wind blowing, which scares her, and all doors. I'll keep trying with treats and praise.

What about just taking her to the car and getting her in and then taking her out immediately without going anyplace. Then take a little walk around the block and do the same thing again.

If it turns out the problem is more getting her to the car then start by getting as close as you can to the car and then turn in another direction and walk down the street and then on the way back try getting close again to the car.

As someone mentioned - it will take patience but, you should be able to work it through given enough time.

some dogs just have trouble w/ car rides. but i don't give in to them. one of my dogs peed before i got out of the driveway, then pooped by the time i hit the main street, puked a couple of blocks past that(i kept him crated in the car). this went on for 6 months until we took him on a 6 hr ride to vermont. he ran out of bodily fluids(ha-ha) and figured out that he had to hang in there. annie took 9 months to figure out how to get into the car! to this day 2 years later she can only get into the car on the passenger side, she freezes and needs to be inserted other wise. she doesn't sleep in the car, no matter how long the trip is and has to hang her head down to the well in the back of the car when lying down. other wise she pants in your ear. i have never seen her spralled out on the back seat.

as i said, some like the car- some don't but they can learn to tolerate it and won't die while learning. just take your pup with you and don't act as it it's something tramatic. they read into your body language and verbal tone.