Contstant Water?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

Im curious to find out what people on here that work full time do about water during the day? Do you leave it readily available or well I will just let everyone answer.. I leave t big bowls oput for the boys a day and Im wondering if that is just torcher for them seeing as I am gone around 9 to 10 hrs a day?

Summit is baby gated in the bedroom (and at night we close our bedroom door with us and him in it) so I keep a stainless steel bowl of water in there. In the kitchen he has his main water which is a big 6 quart bucket. He has an iron bladder so I don't really worry about leaving water for him. I know he likes to have a drink after he eats (so after his Kong and at night after he eats his bedtime snack).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would never leave a dog without water, except for some special medical reason.

Here in the UK RSPCA advice is that a dog should have 'constant access to clean drinking water'. I believe it's one of the things their inspectors check on when investigating reports of animal cruelty, under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I leave plenty of fresh water for the boys while we are gone so that have access to it.

I noticed they tend to drink the most volume just after we get home, almost like "okay, now that they're home, we know we're going to go outside." Smart boys.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

It's not appropriate to leave a dog without water. What if something were to happen to you and no one could get to them for, say, 24 hours? Unlikely, but I would NEVER leave any animal without water.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Unlike people, dogs only drink when they are thirsty.

People drink for lots of reasons besides thirst. -- many of them social. Coffee to wake up or give a boost...soda or more coffee during work breaks...Starbucks to be cool...iced tea or water with meals...beer with the guys after work...wine with dinner...hot chocolate by the fireplace...that pina colada with the cute umbrella by the pool....

As a result people envision their healthy dogs needing to pee as much as they do, but they don't. I have a dog door and am amazed at how few times a day they do go out. I'd certainly leave the water down. They won't drink it just because it is there.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest BrianRke

Unlike people, dogs only drink when they are thirsty.

People drink for lots of reasons besides thirst. -- many of them social. Coffee to wake up or give a boost...soda or more coffee during work breaks...Starbucks to be cool...iced tea or water with meals...beer with the guys after work...wine with dinner...hot chocolate by the fireplace...that pina colada with the cute umbrella by the pool....

As a result people envision their healthy dogs needing to pee as much as they do, but they don't. I have a dog door and am amazed at how few times a day they do go out. I'd certainly leave the water down. They won't drink it just because it is there.

"Starbucks to be cool" B) For me, Starbucks is a necessity :lol Food, clothing, shelter, and STARBUCKS!

Water is out 24/7 but we don't large amounts of water in crates. So crated dogs here only have limited supplies of water. We don't crate them all day though. Luckily someone is home most of the day. And after the initial adjustment/training period ours are out all day.

An exception to this is night time. We crate newbies in our bedroom with us & there's never water in there for them. Later they are left loose but with an xpen blocking them from going far during the night. There's no water access then.

I have found that most of my dogs drink very, very little & some not at all while I am away. Going without water for a few hours is no big deal.

It's not appropriate to leave a dog without water. What if something were to happen to you and no one could get to them for, say, 24 hours? Unlikely, but I would NEVER leave any animal without water.

"Unlikely, but..." Excellent point. Two of the dogs at my house right now came from just such a situation. Owner went to ER with no idea she would not return. Dogs were trapped in home for over 48 hours. They had had water but initially but it was long gone by the time we got in there.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne always has access to water. There is a communal bowl in the kitchen that she shares with the cats. She also has a bowl in her crate that I keep filled. She's crated while we're at work and when we sleep at night (she likes to sleep on DH and hurts his back, so she has to stay off the bed)

Chips had polydipsia and our vet recommended that we limit the amount of water we gave...normally dogs drink about two cups a day I think? But he wouldn't stop until the water was gone. If we left him with a full bowl, he would gulp it all down straight away, so we avoided doing that if we had to leave him home alone. But I agree that most dogs only drink to satisfy their thirst and no more. Gussie is fine with a big bowl of water on days that she stays home from the office.

I have key fobs and a plastic "credit" card that I carry in my wallet that says, "My dogs are home alone." There is a place to put emergency contact numbers on the card. I love having the peace of mind that if something happens (car accident, sickness, etc.) and I can't get home whoever looks through my wallet or at my keys will see my dogs need care.

• 2 weeks later...

Always lots of water. With one grey in the house I leave one big bowl of water. When I had 3 greys I left 2 big bowls of water. Even in summer, they were never empty when I came home from a long day at work.

IMHO - the greys do "the big drink" a couple, or three times per day. They go to the water dish, and drink to replenish. They don't sip all day like humans do. I've never had a grey drink then need to pee right away. They drink when their body tells them to.

BTW- as weird as it sounds - I don't use "in the tank" ongoing toilet bowl cleansers- 1, for the fear that a dog might drink out of the toilet and be poisoned, and 2, in case something catastrophoic or unexpected should occur and we couldn't come home for some reason - my dog would FIND a source of water in the toilet to sustain her for a few days if completely necessary. There's certainly no fear in this house that somebody would actually put the toilet lid down (dispite YEARS of me asking! :lol)

Edited by sobesmom

Always lots of water. With one grey in the house I leave one big bowl of water. When I had 3 greys I left 2 big bowls of water. Even in summer, they were never empty when I came home from a long day at work.

IMHO - the greys do "the big drink" a couple, or three times per day. They go to the water dish, and drink to replenish. They don't sip all day like humans do. I've never had a grey drink then need to pee right away. They drink when their body tells them to.

I'm retired and am with Annie Bella almost 24/7 (she goes with me when I visit friends, etc.). I can attest that, at least during the winter months, Annie Bella visits the water bowl twice a day for big (messy :P ) drinks. She also gets water mixed into her two meals a day. She sleeps upstairs with me and I have a water bowl up there but she never drinks during the night. I can tell because the level doesn't go down and there's no water on the floor.

I can't imagine not leaving water for an animal whether it be a parakeet or an elephant! :lol

Guest WhiteWave

We leave a 2 1/2 gal bowl in the kitchen. Small bowl in the bathroom where Pongo stays. And we have a dog door and have 5 kiddie pools filled with water outside.

My dogs prefer the water inside and it usually had to be filled 2-3 times a day.

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie drinks when she eats, and she will drink however much water is in her bowl so we have to pace her. She has been to the vet 2 times for this, and there is nothing medically wrong with her (thousands of $ of tests later I feel confident to say this!). But basically she eats 3 times a day, dry food mixed with water, plus drinks 1-2 cups with each meal. If we give her too much she throws it up. She drinks a big bowl of water with her breakfast and then we take a long walk before work. She is home about 8 hours and then we take another long walk and she gets a meal (both with water) at 6pm and at 9pm.

We can't leave a bowl out for her because she won't leave the water in it. I have family and friends and neighbors all with keys close by, so I am not worried about something happening to us and not being able to get home.

We've always left water out 100% of the time, for all our greys, and we've never had an issue (other than when we've had a sick dog, a couple times when they've been on various meds). Up until 3 years ago, we both worked out of the home, I would come home for lunch to let them out - so they'd be home for 5-6 hours without a break and all the water they wanted. On occasion, they'd be home all day (10 hours) with no potty break and we never had any issues.

We recently had our boy checked out because he drinks a HUGE amount of water, we thought his kidneys were shot. But...he is in perfect health and our vet told us he drinks when he's thirsty, but his body is fine.