Glucosamine

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

I was using glycoflex and I just ran out... Can I buy human grade? What is a cheaper alternative that will still be beneficial to my boys?

Edited by BlackandTan

At Costco I buy a combo Glucosamine 1500mg/MSM 1500mg for ~$18.99/375 caplets.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest jbbuzby

People call and ask this a lot at my work (a vet's office). Our tech's typical answer is no, because there is such variety in doses and combinations with other products in the human grade medication, they feel it just isn't safe or worth the risk of your pet to try with glucosomine. This isn't just to promote our business either; once the question is asked, they suggest trying at pet stores to see their off brand for the product (like Petco might have one, as opposed to using pfizer's) if the owner is concerned about price. For other supplements, such as meletonin, benedryl, and pepcid, this is not the case, and we're more than happy to give information on dosages.

So, in short, try looking for the off brand, but stuff that is still made for dogs.

Others may very well have differing opinions on this, and that's fine. I just feel like it's better safe than sorry when it's your babies we're talking about :).

I use Best Pet Health Hip & Joint Plus (Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSN) from Costco. They don't always have it in the store, but you CAN always order it online.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11232670&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-BrandTopSellers&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|BrandTopSellers

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest WhiteWave

I normally buy horse powdered supplement and add to their food.

Currently using this one: http://www.jeffersequine.com/product.asp?camid=EQU&pn=0026537&cn=2353

IMO, there is nothing wrong with using human grade supplements. I have used them for years, I just find the horse powder easier and cheaper since I have a dog that I can't get to take a pill to save my life!

Just want to make this point- while human grade products will not be harmful they may not be helpful either. Unless the product you are buying says its standardized you may not be purchasing what you think you are. I buy nutramax products- guaranteed and standardized. The pet line examples are Cosequin and Dasuquin-- human line is Coseamin. NutraMax has a lot of info out there regarding standardization of nutraceuticals (which I believe is more the norm in Europe but, not in the US).

Guest tricolorhounds

Just want to make this point- while human grade products will not be harmful they may not be helpful either. Unless the product you are buying says its standardized you may not be purchasing what you think you are. I buy nutramax products- guaranteed and standardized. The pet line examples are Cosequin and Dasuquin-- human line is Coseamin. NutraMax has a lot of info out there regarding standardization of nutraceuticals (which I believe is more the norm in Europe but, not in the US).

My Vet agrees with this... and the Cosequin and/or Dasuquin are all she recommends.

Another vote for equine products.

I have fed Sinew-X for years...however, it is a liquid and somewhat messy to dispense.

canine dosage is 1ml per 10 pounds

I am switching both the horses and dogs over to Recovery EQ

Canine dosage is 1/4 tsp per 20 pounds.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I was using glycoflex and I just ran out... Can I buy human grade? What is a cheaper alternative that will still be beneficial to my boys?

I use Synflex liquid glucosamine for both my dog and me. It's safe to use for humans and pets, but you won't want to use the 1500 formula because it contains one ingredient that really isn't good for dogs. The dosage is based on weight, so if you have a 40 lb dog, it's about $0.45 a day and the bottle would last for a little over two months. My vet recommended it, and we haven't tried anything since. They have a 'Beef' flavored formula, but since we both take it, it's easier for me to just get the berry flavored. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I use these for my dogs. Easy to give, they love them and think they are treats.

LINK

They get 2 a day.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I was giving Dasuquin, but found out Nutramax donates money to an anti-choice "emergency pregnancy clinic" (Baltimore Center For Pregnancy Concerns). I wrote to them expressing my disappointment and letting them know that if I couldn't find a replacement product as good as Dasuquin that with each bottle of Dasuquin I buy I will make a donation to NARAL in their name. Gee, I never heard back from them. :lol

I told my vet about it, don't know if she still carries it or not, but she switched the dogs to MegaFlex. The dogs seem to love the taste of it and I've seen no difference in terms of less mobility. Claire gets stiff in the hips sometimes when it is really cold.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014