Good Raw Source In Nova/dc Metro?

vjgrey

My hounds aren't raw fed, but they get (boiled, shredded) chicken every meal as a kibble topper. We also make 95% of their treats (dehydrated chicken). We go through SO MUCH of it and are wondering whether it would be worth it to get a dedicated freezer and buy in bulk. We'd also be interested in buying other things occasionally - marrow bones, turkey necks, chicken feet, etc.

Any good local sources? I think we pay about $1.50 a pound at the commissary, so we'd like to beat that if possible.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Opie_Boy

We're about to make our first order to topqualitydogfood.com I believe it's a smaller operation but the prices are very good and I've heard good things about the quality. I know he has delivery drop offs on Saturday in Silver Spring and I think Frederick? We've also had good luck picking up some "randoms" at Shoppers Food Warehouse. They carry a lot of organ meat, chicken backs, chicken feet, turkey necks, etc. and sometimes have good sales on chicken meat. I know the chicken backs we buy are only 79 cents/pound there. I think we've found chicken breasts w/ rib bones attached for somewhere around 1.00/pound on sale. Hope that helps a bit. I don't have a deep freezer so I don't buy in serious bulk, just a couple weeks at a time (I only have one dog).

I get chicken backs and turkey necks by the case at the farmers market. I have to ask them a week in advance, so they can bring it along.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

We're about to make our first order to topqualitydogfood.com I believe it's a smaller operation but the prices are very good and I've heard good things about the quality. I know he has delivery drop offs on Saturday in Silver Spring and I think Frederick? We've also had good luck picking up some "randoms" at Shoppers Food Warehouse. They carry a lot of organ meat, chicken backs, chicken feet, turkey necks, etc. and sometimes have good sales on chicken meat. I know the chicken backs we buy are only 79 cents/pound there. I think we've found chicken breasts w/ rib bones attached for somewhere around 1.00/pound on sale. Hope that helps a bit. I don't have a deep freezer so I don't buy in serious bulk, just a couple weeks at a time (I only have one dog).

I fed raw and buy a good portion of my food from Peter at TopQuality. He carries a lot of organic meat, too! Opie-Boy, the Frederick food pick-up is every other month. I will be there this weekend! Otherwise, when I need something, I arrange to drive to Silver Spring. It interferes with playgroup though!

I also buy chicken quarters in 10 pound bags from Bottom Dollar. They are not "enhanced" with salt, as they are from Walmart. The price varies, but it just went up to .68 a pound.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

It really depends on what quality of meat you want. I buy almost exclusively from Peter at Top Quality because his meat is either free-range/grass fed or at least of the quality of Whole Foods (it actually is the same stuff that goes to Whole Foods in many cases). But, his prices have gone up recently and some of his stuff has gotten pretty expensive (lamb and rabbit come to mind).

You're not likely to get reasonable prices at all from the farmers at the "urban" markets - the ones in DC itself and NoVA or just outside in MD in places like Silver Spring, but you could look into individual VA farms. I actually buy my chicken feet from Polyface - it's the only thing they sell at "dog food" prices so I buy them up when they have them. :)

If you don't care as much about the source of the meat or how it's raised, there are tons of ethnic markets in the area where you can get really cheap meat. Check for the nearest H Mart to you (it's a large asian market), I know there are ones in Wheaton and Ellicott City, but don't know about VA locations. If not, there are smaller ones sprinkled throughout - I have one in Laurel - and there are also a lot of Spanish/Mexican markets.

If you're mainly interested in chicken, you can also order directly from Whole Foods. Just call the meat department, order by the case and make sure you request the discounted case price (it's usually about 20 cents less per pound). Like I said, much of what Peter sells is what goes to Whole Foods. His chicken (the non-organic) is Bell & Evans all natural and he sells is at the same price as the case discount from Whole Foods.

It's definitely easier if you have an extra freezer so you can buy in bulk or stock up when you see good sale prices. I found a small (5 cu ft) chest freezer on ebay from someone local. The smaller side is reserved for the meat I buy in bulk through buying clubs with local farms and the deeper side holds over 4 weeks worth of raw for 2 dogs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."