Do They Get Anxious As They Age?

JAJ2010

Rainy has always been my confident bombproof pup. 100% fine with gunfire, fireworks, strangers, cars zipping by, horses, llamas, etc. We've always traveled often, are constantly meeting new people and dogs, etc.

I guess everything started last July when the fireworks spooked her enough that I thought she would jump through a window. Mentioned this at her next vet check and verified that all her vitals were fine (sight, hearing, etc) We have moved into a new home in Nov and we now have a fireplace. The fireplace just concerned her a little bit at first and now it sends her into a shaking frantic panic. She will literally run into things! My spooky shy pup can only stay in that anxious state for so long before she exhausts herself and settles. Not Rainy! Yesterday she was in a shaking state of frantic-ness for 6 hours. Instead of her adjusting to the fireplace she is just getting worse and worse.

She also has always been very excited/happy for car rides. Now she is shaking as soon as she gets into the car and is pulling on the leash to avoid the car. Once we get to where we are going she is bounces right back to her happy self (until it's time to get back into the car)

She's 7 turning 8 in April. Very healthy and active... Could this be an age thing? We have a vet app next Monday night. She does have a heart murmur so I'm not sure medication (like Xanax) is going to be an option. This is the first dog that I have by myself as they age. Is this normal? I think I'm going to request a thyroid panel to be run also... What else should I ask about?

She's my easy dog! There should be a warranty here somewhere... :lol

------

Jessica

My girl has always been anxious outside of her comfort zone but, yes, as she ages she has become more and more anxious- again, only outside of her comfort zone.

I just had to take her on a long drive (8hrs) and I gave her 2mgs of Xanax - did the trick. It didnt make her wonky just relaxed and allowed her to sleep. Normally, she would have had a meltdown/ panic attack during the drive- this time she slept most of the way.

Rainy has always been a very roll with the punches type of dog. Sunshine gets anxious even with meds anytime she's outside of her comfort zone. Which puzzles me since this is so out of character for Rainy.

Jess, you know my dogs. Echo seems to be getting less anxious as she ages, Frosty seems about the same - that is not anxious about anything and Stampede was about the same until his last 3 months.

I don't blame Rainy. I get really anxious around a fireplace too. Fire is a very scary thing.

It's possible that her hearing isn't what it was, it's possible that she might be developing mild cataracts--there are age-related things that MIGHT make her seem more anxious. But I would not say it's a normal part of aging.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Stampede was about the same until his last 3 months.

OK that did not help me! :lol I understand about the fireplace but it's slowly creeping into anxiety about the car, and noises, clicks and pops. If it was just the fireplace we can deal. The fireplace seems to be the most violently apparent part of it. I've always been anal about their mental health as well as their physical health. Sunshine made me very aware of the needs for the mental calmness.

Do you think I should just let it go for another 6 months and take another check point? Or ask the vet for some options? I also worry about her anxiousness since her heart gets pounding so hard that I can hear it from a few feet away. That's can't be good for her murmur...

------

Jessica

Stampede was about the same until his last 3 months.

OK that did not help me! :lol I understand about the fireplace but it's slowly creeping into anxiety about the car, and noises, clicks and pops. If it was just the fireplace we can deal. The fireplace seems to be the most violently apparent part of it. I've always been anal about their mental health as well as their physical health. Sunshine made me very aware of the needs for the mental calmness.

Do you think I should just let it go for another 6 months and take another check point? Or ask the vet for some options? I also worry about her anxiousness since her heart gets pounding so hard that I can hear it from a few feet away. That's can't be good for her murmur...

Oops. I'm sorry. You can yell at me when I see you. Have you tried something like melatonin or Rescue Remedy? It sometimes helps Echo. I know you must have a collection of stuff for Sunshine.

Maybe approach this from a different angle - can you cover up the fireplace and put furniture in front of it so she doesn't see it or can't get near it?

Also, you might want to get the chimney cleaned - it could be that there are animals (birds, squirrels, mice) in there that have nested and your dogs are hearing them. At the same time, check whether the anxious behavior starts when the furnace turns on/off. Also, have you furnace checked - could be some vibration that only she is hearing that is setting her off.

She's been on 6mg of melatonin twice a day for the past 4 months. I don't want to start any other drugs that I have on hand without a vet ok. What I'm thinking of right now is maybe a long term anxiety med to help with some conditioning and training? Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong then since both of my dogs will be on anxiety meds!

Her reactions to noises started before we moved here so I'm not thinking they are related to this house. You can hear the wind whistle through the chimney on windy days. Boarding up the fireplace is not an option. We have free wood and are using that to help heat the living room during extra cold days!

She's not reactive unless the fireplace is on....

------

Jessica

She's been on 6mg of melatonin twice a day for the past 4 months. I don't want to start any other drugs that I have on hand without a vet ok. What I'm thinking of right now is maybe a long term anxiety med to help with some conditioning and training? Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong then since both of my dogs will be on anxiety meds!

Her reactions to noises started before we moved here so I'm not thinking they are related to this house. You can hear the wind whistle through the chimney on windy days. Boarding up the fireplace is not an option. We have free wood and are using that to help heat the living room during extra cold days!

She's not reactive unless the fireplace is on....

Don't use the fireplace then. Use the regular heating system and see if that makes a difference. Maybe next year you'll be able use up the free wood.

I'm not an expert, but it doesn't sound like normal aging to me. I've had dogs aged 11, 12, and 13, and they didn't display any of the extreme reactions you're describing. Plus, Rainy's just barely into official "senior" status -- relatively young. I would talk to your vet again, as you're planning. Getting a full thyroid panel sounds like a good idea.

As I understand it, she became spooked at fireworks before you moved into your present house, but it's been worse since then? There have been a couple of GT hounds who developed extreme nervous reactions to noises, such as a fire alarm with a run-down battery. Humans couldn't hear it, but the hounds sure could. Outside construction noise that didn't bother the humans was another nerve-wracking experience for a hound. The dogs became generally fearful and nervous. Maybe do a whole-house check for weird stuff like that?

I'm sorry you and Rainy are having to go through this.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

And it's only some noises... Bf is currently using an impact driver to mount a TV to the wall. Sounds like a jack hammer it's ripping this room apart. Both dogs are laying on dog beds in the same room calm as can be!

I hope the vet won't think I'm crazy and will have the beginning of a solution on Monday.

------

Jessica