Biting Sleeves And Sometimes More

Guest capers7

Guest capers7

Wondering about Theo's pattern of biting at my sleeves when he starts playing. I noticed it early on when I first got him and others have said they thought it was a game the trainers play with the track dogs as they have seen it too. He just barely grabs shirt sleeves when he dashes by or if he is barking in a frenzy. On occassion it is the shirt front as well. He has multiple times included a little pinch of skin along with it. Always just with the front incisors, never the canines, but man does it hurt and leave a whopper of a bruise. Is this common? I want to encourage play with him, but not if this is the result. He does not seem to think there is anything wrong with it, at least he does not appear abashed in any way. Thanks!

Play-biting is normal and fairly common, but as you say, it can leave painful bruises so it's best discouraged when it gets rough! I don't know about trainers playing a game with them to encourage it, to me it doesn't seem likely - why would trainers want to get bruised any more than you do?

Anyway, it's usually pretty easy to discourage. All you need to do is yelp loudly like a pup when the teeth make contact, and immediately stop the game. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My Annie Bella does the same thing while walking on a leash. She'll kind of snort and then very gently take my fingers in her mouth. If I respond, she starts jumping and nibbling a bit harder or going after the bottom of my jacket, sleeves or my scarf. It's fun to interact with her like this. She knows what she's doing and the enjoyment is written all over her face and eyes. It took me a few times, but I've figured out where her nibbling is going to get too much and I stop it.

I doubt very much anyone teaches this game--you've seen how dogs play with each other, right? They bite!

Best way to make the point that it's not acceptable to bite your human is to scream like a dog would when he does it. Respond in a manner that he understands.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest shanesmom

Ace used to nip playfully all the time when excited. That's how he played with other dogs. I just firmly told him no and he rarely does it now. Only a little when he's too happy and playful but he quickly stops when I tell him no.

Beth does this to me both on and off leash -- I would say it's her one seriously bad or at least annoying habit. And I haven't been able to do much to discourage it. She is really ramped up when she does it and if I yell or whatever that just seems like part of the game to her -- I see the glint in her eye and she's really not in obedience mode at all then. I read somewhere that it sounds to her like I'm barking! I don't think a yelp/scream would discourage her either, as dogs typically pack up on a dog who yelps in pain.

What does work is rattling a "penny can" in her face. This knocks the behavior right out of her for a couple of days -- so sometimes when she's in a stretch being especially annoying I carry one with me on walks for a day or two. (She is not a timid or oversensitive dog at all, so the loud rattle doesn't spook or traumatize her much; she's just like "Whoa!!")

With my next dog I will be much more vigilant about discouraging this behavior from Day 1. I have inadvertently reinforced Beth a good deal in that when she gets crazy on leash a treat often settles her down -- so she'll start the behavior to get a treat sometimes.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest KennelMom

We discourage this behavior. I don't like my dogs to think that putting their mouth/teeth on a person is OK. It's just inviting an accident to happen. A voice-of-God "NO!" and then immediately end the play session. They learn pretty quickly that that kind of play isn't appropriate with people. DH and I can handle the rough-housing, but we've always thought long term...what about when we have a kid? Or what about when our older parents are visiting? Or really just anyone that gets them excited...They might seriously hurt or scare someone even accidentally.

Consistency is the key for extinguishing this behavior. It can't be OK for 5 minutes and then suddenly not ok. Or it can't be OK today, but not tomorrow.

Guest capers7

Okay, thanks! Lots to think about. Theo has the most gentle mouth when taking treats, even when really ramped up, if he leaps for a treat and gets any amount of flesh he backs right off, never biting down at all. This biting I am concerned about is a drive by nip that is just once in passing and I believe is a progression from the sleeve biting/pulling. I had noticed that yelping and even the "voice of God" (I do have that down!) pulling up his leash real short made little difference, but the last time he did it, I KiyiyedI(like the greyhound scream of death). That made him stop and get all worried. We went right home. Maybe a couple of those will set it right. I love the air snapping, I love most everything he does, but the this I need to put a stop to! Thanks again for all the information. He is the love of my life. If I ever get married, the guy better fall in love with greyhounds first!

Guest jettcricket

Beth does this to me both on and off leash -- I would say it's her one seriously bad or at least annoying habit. And I haven't been able to do much to discourage it. She is really ramped up when she does it and if I yell or whatever that just seems like part of the game to her -- I see the glint in her eye and she's really not in obedience mode at all then. I read somewhere that it sounds to her like I'm barking! I don't think a yelp/scream would discourage her either, as dogs typically pack up on a dog who yelps in pain.

My Dave does it too and like you, when I try and discipline and yell at him he just does it more. Not fun....

We discourage this behavior. I don't like my dogs to think that putting their mouth/teeth on a person is OK. It's just inviting an accident to happen. A voice-of-God "NO!" and then immediately end the play session. They learn pretty quickly that that kind of play isn't appropriate with people. DH and I can handle the rough-housing, but we've always thought long term...what about when we have a kid? Or what about when our older parents are visiting? Or really just anyone that gets them excited...They might seriously hurt or scare someone even accidentally.

Consistency is the key for extinguishing this behavior. It can't be OK for 5 minutes and then suddenly not ok. Or it can't be OK today, but not tomorrow.

We also do not tolerate any teeth on humans. At all. Ever.

Ruby can get pretty wound up and mouthy.

When this happens I turn and face her, put hands on my hips and give her 'the look' and within 5 seconds she's calmed right down.

Then she gets a pat and a scritch.

I do not give any attention at all to misbehaving dogs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg