Moonlight Billy

Guest Fasave

It's taken me way too long to write this post. My former foster Moonlight Billy, Silly Billy, the Jerry Lewis of all greyhounds, passed of osteo on New Year's eve just three short weeks after I had to say goodbye to my first greyhound Avalanche. So much loss in such a short amount of time.

I met Billy one night at the kennel only three months after adopting Avalanche. I was helping with the final turnout of the night and Billy came running over to me, leaned against me and refused to leave my side. This got both of us in trouble as Billy was turned out to take care of other business. A few short weeks later, the kennel needed some weekend repairs and all dogs needed to go to homes. I jumped at the opportunity to take Billy. He was perfect and beyond silly. I've never seen a dog that could make his head go in one direction while the rest of his body went in another. From here on in, he was called the Jerry Lewis of greyhounds. I desperately wanted to keep him but Ave was new and we were working through SA issues, sleep aggression issues, and non-grey aggression issues. In addition, I was traveling for work and I knew finding someone to take two greyhounds would be more difficult than one. As it turned out, at the end of the "foster weekend" I found out my dog sitter had left her husband and was no longer able to care for pups in her home and I had a trip planned. The adoption kennel agreed to board Ave for that trip and I've never felt so lousy as I drove away from the kennel leaving both boys behind EXCEPT for, when I returned from my trip and left Billy behind.

As it turned out, Billy found a home within a couple months. I made sure the adoption group gave his new family my number is case they ever needed anything. Well, within 48 hours I got a call from them asking if I could take care of Billy over the Christmas holiday in a couple weeks. I jumped at the opportunity forgetting that I was traveling to my mother's in Vermont and she was hesitant about one dog coming home let alone two but if she wanted to see me, she would have to deal with the dogs. :lol As the years went on, rarely three weeks would pass before Billy would come to stay. His new owners were a young active couple and enjoyed traveling. Billy spent extended times with me when their house would undergo construction projects, or when their first child was born followed 18 months later by a set of twins. I always saved a place for Billy here. You hear too many stories about pups being returned because when the kids come along, the owners no longer have time. But Billy's owners loved him dearly and would never give him away. Billy, not surprisingly, was perfect with all the babies and enjoyed the extra table scraps they provided.

Then in November, Billy came to visit. I noticed a slight limp when he got up but he would walk it off. Billy was now 12 so I talked with his parents about supplements. They took him to the vets, clean x-rays and 10 days of Rimadyl and Tramdol should fix him up and it did.....until the medication ran out. He returned for a weekend in early December with another round of drugs on board. I cuddled with him all day Sunday believing it would be his last visit. Little did I know, I would lose my Avalanche later that night instead. Billy returned to spend the Christmas holiday with me and we traveled to Vermont as so many times before. He enjoyed the trip but as the days progressed, he got worse. On the Friday before New Year's Eve, I returned him to his home. I was a blubbering mess. I knew for sure, this would be my final goodbye. On New Year's eve, he went back to the vets, again the vet did not see the osteo (lesson here to always have x-rays read by a radiologist) and they switched drugs. That night I got the call that Billy's leg broke when he tried to stand and Billy was about to take his final journey on this earth.

Billy was the perfect greyhound. I may never understand why he came into my life but even though he wasn't "mine", I believe we both filled an important void in each others lives. How lucky was I that I could remain in his life all those years (eight years to be exact). There aren't enough words or time to tell Billy's full story but perhaps these pictures will tell the story of yet another pup gone too soon.

Billy's first stay in a "home". Billy is in the harness and Ave is showing him the comforts of my bed.

STwins.jpg

Billy with his Mom and Dad who miss him sooo much

familywithflag.jpg

My favorite part of Billy....his little pouty bottom lip.

2011misc018.jpg

Some of the best days of my life was when Billy came to stay with me, Avalanche and Safari (Ave's littermate who spent four years with me). How I miss my bevy of brindles. Billy is on the far right.

FEB2007138.jpg

This is one of the last pictures I took of Billy. Godspeed sweet Billy. I hope you know how much you are missed.

lastof2011014.jpg

What a lucky hound Billy was to have not only a Mama and Papa who love him, but a Godmother, too!

He was just beautiful. That last picture made me leaky.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Billy was a lucky boy to have two concurrent families. My sympathies to you and his other Mom and Dad.

Godspeed Billy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't know many pups who have a forever home and a vacation home. What a great tribute to him.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

So sorry for the loss of dear sweet Billy. He is a loss to all the families who loved him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I just love that last picture - so sweet, just like Billy. I am sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for the loss of Billy. His tribute is beautiful and my sympathy goes out to you and his forever parents.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So, so sorry for the loss of 'your' Billy.

Sincere condolences to his other Mom and Dad, too.

Run free, Billy.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry. Billy was very fortunate to have two families to love. Godspeed, Billy.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest madredhare

Wow, how sad. I am so sorry for everyone's loss. I have a little brindle girl that I care for when her family is away. I love that dog like she is my own, so I can understand how devastated you are.

I'm so sorry for your and Billy's other family's loss. What a sweet handsome boy :wub: .

Godspeed, perfect Billy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry Dec was such an awful month for your loss of Avalanche & Billy. Please tell Billy's other rents we are sorry for their loss

Edited by sabrina

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

My condolences to all who loved Billy - and it appears that there were many. What a wonderful boy he must have been & how rich his life was in love. Not many hounds can claim being called the Jerry Lewis of hounds but I'm sure it's how he expressed his joy at life. I'm so sorry it was his time to leave. Godspeed Billy! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so very sorry!!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 he was lucky to have so many that loved him so dearly :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway