Duncan/boarding Place//update

Guest hattiepumpkin

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hi,

I had started a thread yesterday explaining the terrible thing that happened to my mother's greyhound, Duncan, who died after being boarded at an animal hospital for a week. Because my mother is pursuing legal action against the clinic, I asked Jeff to remove my original thread which named the clinic. I will keep everyone updated as to how her legal proceedings are going. Thank you so much for your heartfelt condolences to her and Duncan. She is heartbroken and extraordinarily depressed. I know a few people had asked me for her address to send a card, but I don't remember who those people are. If you PM me, I will give you the address. Thanks, again, for your words and thoughts. They are bringing her a small measure of comfort when she most needs it from other greyhound lovers. Your words and encouragement to hold the clinic responsible have also helped embolden her resolve.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please give your mom a big hug for me.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I didn't see the original thread but I am so sorry to hear of your families loss. I can't imagine how upset your mom must be. grouphug.gif

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

I read your original thread when it was up and it was so heartbreaking. I can't imagine what your Mom must be feeling. I certainly understand her anger towards the vet/boarding facility, but I wonder if she wouldn't be better served by involving the media rather than pursuing legal action. I don't know what she incurred in boarding fees and medical bills, but that's all she'll likely be able to recover, along with the depreciated value of her dog, which I'm sure won't be much. I'm not sure an attorney would even take the case, since it's surely a small claims matter. It just seems like the way to approach this is to involve any tv or newspapers that she can, as well as any pet-related websites and so on. Good luck to your Mom no matter what she decides to do, and again, my condolences.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I read your original thread when it was up and it was so heartbreaking. I can't imagine what your Mom must be feeling. I certainly understand her anger towards the vet/boarding facility, but I wonder if she wouldn't be better served by involving the media rather than pursuing legal action. I don't know what she incurred in boarding fees and medical bills, but that's all she'll likely be able to recover, along with the depreciated value of her dog, which I'm sure won't be much. I'm not sure an attorney would even take the case, since it's surely a small claims matter. It just seems like the way to approach this is to involve any tv or newspapers that she can, as well as any pet-related websites and so on. Good luck to your Mom no matter what she decides to do, and again, my condolences.

Very sad, but true. Dogs are considered property under the law. She's apt to spend more on a lawyer than she recovers, and her heart won't be any less broken. :(

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Very sad, but true. Dogs are considered property under the law. She's apt to spend more on a lawyer than she recovers, and her heart won't be any less broken. :(

It depends on the state. I don't remember what state your mum is located in (and I am not asking, of course), but laws are changing. Very, very slowly, but they are changing. As they should. To compare the loss of a companion we are emotionally invested in with the loss of a set of golf clubs or any other inanimate object is patently absurd.

I wish your mum lots of luck with this case and I do think that it should hit local TV, newspapers, etc. She can do a lot of damage to the clinic's reputation, which will ensure that they think twice before behaving in such an abominably unprofessional and disgraceful manner. However, timing could mean the difference between a successful (or partially successful) outcome of the legal case and a not so successful outcome, so she should discuss the matter with her attorney to make sure that any negative publicity she generates for the clinic in question does not have a deleterious effect on the lawsuit she is preparing to engage in.

Good luck. My thoughts are with your mum. I have been thinking of her a lot since I read your original thread. I am absolutely heartbroken for her. I know that if it happened to me I would want justice too, and regardless of the possible outcome I would definitely try to make waves, at least.

:grouphug :grouphug

ETA - If your mum's attorney does not have much experience with this sort of case, she should definitely consult an attorney who does. Animal Law is one of the fastest growing legal fields and she should be able to get a free consultation, even if it isn't in her state.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.