Bloat Pdf Or Link To Share With Newbies?

Does anyone know of/have a good link or pdf file that I can share regarding bloat? There are quite a few newer people within our play group, and I'd just like something to post up on the fb wall regaring bloat/symptoms.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have had a dog with bloat... as far as I know, we could not have prevented it.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened with that particular dog on that day.

However..

You should not allow your dogs to gulp their food down quickly, and do not let them exercise after a meal.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Here is the link that has a comprehensive list of links for bloat, torsion, etc.

http://www.ginnie.com/bloat.htm

"Do not give water one hour before or after a meal"

Wha...I've never heard of that one before. Has anyone else?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

So bloat just happens inexplicably? I thought it was solely related to food consumption ( speed and amount) in combination with feeding immediately before/after strenuous exercise. I know horses should not gulp water after they have been running so they wont colic. Same deal?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest verthib
1329446549[/url]' post='5169448']

So bloat just happens inexplicably? I thought it was solely related to food consumption ( speed and amount) in combination with feeding immediately before/after strenuous exercise. I know horses should not gulp water after they have been running so they wont colic. Same deal?

Maybe others will chime in, but after mine have been running they're very thirsty so I let them drink.

Guest HHHounds

Bloat can happen for no apparent reason. My Vanilla suffered from it in December - started in the afternoon - food, water and excercise were not a factor. She is a bit freaky and had had an iffy stomach so the symptoms were hard to catch. I have had many hounds. I had read the charts and seen the video - but took her to the vet not knowing she had bloat. She had emergency surgery and is now fine.

You don't want the dog to tank up on water or to eat a big glob of food when the dog is panting hard. A quick drink is fine; sucking down a whole bowl/bucket (or two or three) is not a good idea.

Two of the more subtle signs that tend to get missed:

- Expanding ribcage. In a sighthound or other lean-bodied dog, tuck might never change shape or be tender.

- Restlessness. Dog who won't settle when he usually does could be in trouble.

You can have initial productive vomiting or poop and still bloat.

With or without torsion, bloat kills fast. If in doubt, get to the vet. Expensive is better than dead.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No they are very different phenomena. My soulmate Slim crossed over at only 6 yoa from bloat/GDV. It was a terrible death. He was treated very early in the process but coded after surviving the surgery. They got him back. Later he coded again. They told me each time they had to discontinue the pain meds as part of teh resusitation protocol. The second time DIC developed and he was in a painful fight for his life which of course was mercifully ended but not before he suffered. The big thing I think people should know is do NOT wait for a bloated appearance. It may NOT present that way. Slim had what I thought were initially minor symptoms of a little hind end weakness and just didn't look right. I only rushed him to the vet because I wanted to confirm that he had just gotten a little too hot etc.-something minor as I take no chances and am like a mother hen. The studies I have read suggust it can be caused by several factors including genetics but it doesn't actually seem preventable per se unless they have had the surgery to tack their stomach down so it doesn't happen. Some people actually go that route if they are gravely concerned. I wouldn't but that's me.

The horse thing you mention is pure physiology IMO from 54 years of horse experience. But colic (the #1 horse killer by the way) is not your biggest concern. If they are allowed too much water after significant exercise founder(laminitis) is. You get them hot and sweaty and then let them drink all the water they want you might as well shoot em because more than likely they will founder. Despite all the good intentions and reasearch money and hopin' and prayin' actual founder(not borderline, almost founder) is basically a death sentence still. It can be initiated by MANY things, too much concentrate feed, road founder, placenta retention, even standing on balck walnut shavings! Anything that upsets a horse is a concern. All the money in the world couldn't save Barbaro, or Secretariat, or any of the others that developed it. I lost my amazing stallion Dollar (Job's Answer HC) to it when he developed it after being ill too. The pointy bone in their foot basically rotates down toward the ground and will actually push a hole in the bottom of the hoof. It is excruciatingly painful and of course by that stage death is imminent one way or another. But genetics do not seem to influence this as much as the horses physiological response to physical challenges they may face.

Edited by racindog

Guest IndyHound

My Oldest friend who's been a vet for 8 years had this to tell me about bloat. Everyone has an idea about what causes it. But the truth is we don't know really what the definitive answer is. Are there things we can do to help prevent it? Yes we can be cautious with feedings and exercise but I've known dogs who even after having the prevention surgery (she said part of the stomach is sewed to the abdominal wall? I may have misunderstood this part) get bloat. The best thing to do is be aware of the signs and be cautious with feeding.

We've experienced bloat in a Dobe.

This chart is excellent!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg