Looking To Adopt

Guest Meggylou

Guest Meggylou

Hi Everybody,

I've been lurking around for a little while and decided to join up last night. My husband and I lost our chihuahua to old age in september 2011 and are now ready to get another dog. We are going with a greyhound because they're a breed we've always loved and figure we might as well just bite the bullet and do what we want. We won't be applying to adopt until March, so I'm hoping I can get a dog in April maybe. The dog is a "gift" to myself for my birthday lol. We also live with a guinea pig and are owned by a tuxedo cat. I just hope it doesn't take too long for the adoption agency to find a dog that is cat/critter safe. The guinea pig is in a giant cage that's "secure" but not secure enough that a full sized adult GH couldn't break into if it wanted to. Does anyone have any experience adopting through Greyhounds in Need of Adoption, based out of Toronto? There are no agencies in Northern Ontario and we live in Sudbury, so we will be travelling to get the dog. Basically I just wanted to say hi, ask for any persona experiences of adopting through GiNA, and if anyone has any advice for a first time GH adopter.

Thanks!!!

Welcome!

Gina is amazing, they help so many...dogs and people. I didn't adopt from them, though I wish I did (I didn't know any better at the time, let's just say that). They hold numerous events...one of they greyt ones being a wine event in the Niagara area. Check them out on facebook: GiNA - Greyhounds in Need of Adoption :)

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I am a volunteer for GINA. In fact, this past Saturday my friend and I brought up some hounds from Buffalo so they could go to their GINA foster homes. They do a great job of matching dogs with the right people.

You can try the League of Extraordinary Greyhounds, also, but they might be further away.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

T-Legs would be an 8-hour drive for you, then add on the drive from Montreal to the kennel in Vermont.

GiNA/Toronto looks to be about 4 1/2 hours.

GRA/London (Mount Elgin) is almost 6 hours and they have a kennel of dogs that you can choose from.

Glohw/Hamilton would be 5 hours.

There's also a fabulous group in Michigan, "GEM" (Greythounds of Eastern Michigan). They are in and around Ann Arbor & the drive from Sudbury is 9 and a bit hours. They foster AND have a great prison dog program.

Congratulations on your upcoming adoption. I'm sure you're going to love it.

ETA: I have a question... many, if not all, of the foster-based groups require a home visit. Ummm... how is that going to be handled? You are really far away! Solely because of that, you may be more successful with a kennel-based group.

And if you want a vacation... head down south to a track and visit the adoption kennels on-site (some aren't on-site but are located close by)!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE... and did I mention LOVE GINA.

We fostered for them to show our landlord that we would make responsible greyhound owners. The folks at GINA were so wonderful. I called the adoption coordinator every day for the first 3 days. I was so excited and nervous and stressed out because I wanted to get everything right since our chances to adopt our own greyhound were riding on this foster going well. They were so patient, answered all my questions, helped me through teaching the foster how to adjust to home life. Just fantastic. You won't find a more dedicated bunch. You will have so much support with your new dog. They foster all their dogs so you WILL get a cat/critter safe greyhound. I own 3 rabbits. Some people have cats. Some have kids. Some have little dogs. They'll get you a dog that will tolerate your littles.

Did I mention that I love GINA?

ETA: Oops, just remembered you're in Sudbury. Most of the southern Ontario groups have a geographical range. GINA's is no farther west than Guelph. I don't know what their north, east, south boundaries are but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a lot farther south than Sudbury. You can always contact them and if they can't manage the adoption they'll certainly point you in the right direction. I do know someone in the Sault that adopted from a lady up there. I'm not really sure where she gets her dogs from, but you could certainly talk to Azi's mom about it. Her GT name is greysmitten.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I think GINA has already agreed to consider Sudbury.

Yay! This is why I love GINA!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Many moons ago, I accompanied a friend of mine on a home visit for a collie rescue. She was skilled in doing g'hound visits, and the collie group had no one in the area, so they asked her to do the home visit. They sent along a list of specific questions they wanted answered in the interview, and what requirements they had for the house/yard/etc. Perhaps the greyhound group here could do something of the same? BTW, the interviewees were collie-savvy folks, and passed with flying colors, and were eager to drive several states away to pick up their new dog...

Guest jbbuzby

Congrats on deciding to adopt a hound!

As for the cat and guinea pig, I think you'll find one that will work out fine. I don't doubt you can find a cat-safe hound, and with work, you can teach them the piggy is off-limits too. However, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you, I'd never trust the hound with the piggy not in its cage! It might be best to house the pig in another room for a while until you bond/train. Then put a gate in the doorway of the pig's room so it can see it/get used to it moving, then gradually allow access to the room with you in it. I had a few rats when I first adopted my male and just assumed I couldn't trust him, but it got to be that I could leave the door open, care for the ratties, and keep him at bay with a simple "NAH UH!" and finger snap if he so much as put a paw through the doorway (and he could definitely see them hopping around all over the cage!). He learned to just lay outside the doorway and wait for me. Every hound is different though, but I can at least tell you of one trustworthy one!

I hope whatever group you choose finds you a greyt pup! Don't forget to post pictures!

IMG_1155.jpg

This is the only picture I have of Summit with one of the bunnies because he is afraid of them. This was shortly after we adopted him. Since then he has learned that the black and white bandit CAN and WILL jump up on his chest when he's sleeping (of course I never allowed this without very close supervision... hand on collar close) and now he runs whenever he sees the little monster coming. He refuses to step foot into their room. Cage doors can be open, bunnies can be ripping it up in there and he just sleeps on his bed at the door.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Meggylou

They are going to adopt to us in Sudbury. I asked on their facebook page because I didn't want to bug any volunteers more than necessary (time is valuable). We will do a skype home visit. Plus my vet is open to having someone call to ask about how I care for my critters. I'm SUPER excited and REALLY happy to hear all the positive feedback re: GiNA. I just really wanted to make sure we were making the right choice with adopting through them and I'm really happy to hear that we are. It's especially important that our future dog is kid and critter friendly.....I will have, after the birth of the two due in March, 4 nephews under the age of 3. Two live in Orillia and two in town here. My nephew in town here loves dogs so much we watch the dog whisperer, ER Vets, Breeder of the Pack and basically ANY programming involving dogs....Dog was his third word lol! He ADORED my chihuahua....though it wasn't reciprocated, my chihuahua (Goliath), did put up with a lot and had no teeth so couldn't harm anyone even when he did occasionally snap.

All the info on this site is awesome! We already have a costco membership so will continue the food that the foster was feeding and gradually change to kirkland, probably buy a costco dog bed, get elevated ceramic food bowls, and take our new dog to petsmart to pick out its own toys. We don't care what colour, or what gender, just a loving, hopefully cuddly (velcro dog, though not necessary), critter proof GH. We've already picked out the name...we're going to call our new dog Digby! after one of our favourite Britt comedy sketches from the show That Mitchell and Webb Look. The full name is actually Sir Digby Chicken Caesar lol!!! I'm just really excited, my life is so empty without a dog and with the loss of our rabbit yesterday (very sudden), our house is feeling quite empty with only two critters left. I can't wait!

We adopted Ben from GINA but when I went to their wine tasting event last year, no one from 7 years ago was around. However, I can tell you that they choose the pup for you but made an exception for us by letting us choose Ben. Of course, it might have been because I said if I couldn't have Ben, I didn't want any others tongue.gif I'm not sure if that is the case now, but they foster greys so I'm sure it's easy to get cat/critter safe greys since they test for that.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest 302Crew

I figured I would chime in too.

Welcome from another newcomer....who is also adopting from GiNA. :colgate

I have to say that when I started this journey, I didn't know what route I wanted to take. It didn't take me long to decide that going through GiNA was the right way for my family to go. It's just me and my husband...no kids, or other animals. But it is going to be our first Grey. So I figured I should let the experts help us.

So far, EVERYTHING with GiNA has been an absolute pleasure. Our home visit with 'Paul' the grey was amazing. The people that accompanied him were just as amazing and informative. The support that is available is exactly what we want.

So far, the only difficult part of the whole process is the wait for our pup to come home - and we're the ones making it difficult because we're so damn excited! :blush

Good luck with your adoption. :colgate

I figured I would chime in too.

Welcome from another newcomer....who is also adopting from GiNA. :colgate

I have to say that when I started this journey, I didn't know what route I wanted to take. It didn't take me long to decide that going through GiNA was the right way for my family to go. It's just me and my husband...no kids, or other animals. But it is going to be our first Grey. So I figured I should let the experts help us.

So far, EVERYTHING with GiNA has been an absolute pleasure. Our home visit with 'Paul' the grey was amazing. The people that accompanied him were just as amazing and informative. The support that is available is exactly what we want.

So far, the only difficult part of the whole process is the wait for our pup to come home - and we're the ones making it difficult because we're so damn excited! :blush

Good luck with your adoption. :colgate

Isn't Paul a sweetie? He was recently adopted himself.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest 302Crew

Oh my goodness....he was AWESOME. He had a toe injury when he was here...but he was just a dream. His owner was here with Blair. I haven't stopped telling people about the visit, and all the amazing work that GiNA does.

The hubby and I were swooning over him....heck, we still are!

Oh my goodness....he was AWESOME. He had a toe injury when he was here...but he was just a dream. His owner was here with Blair. I haven't stopped telling people about the visit, and all the amazing work that GiNA does.

The hubby and I were swooning over him....heck, we still are!

Do you know when you'll be getting your dog?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest 302Crew

No idea! They were here the week before the last run. We were told to get out and get all the stuff we need...so we've started doing that.

I've been watching the FB page like a hawk. I don't know how much notice they give you (1 week, 2 weeks). I'm assuming each dog is different. I see 'Manny' went home yesterday - AWESOME.

So...we're just sitting here waiting....not so patiently. :blush LOL!

Manny was one of the dogs we brought up. He's very sweet and relaxed. Hogged up the back of the car, though :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

You usually get about a week's notice. Foster families keep the dogs for approximately 3 weeks. On day 10 the foster assessment gets sent in about the dog's personality and how the dog is doing in the foster home. The adoption committee looks at all the foster assessments and all the adoption applications and then makes proposals for which dogs should go where. They send those proposed matches out with the adoption applications and the foster assessments to everyone on the board and to the foster parents. If anyone has any concerns about the match (including the foster family) they can share those reservations and changes are made if warranted. Then the foster family calls the chosen adoptive family and sets up a time for the adoption... usually about a week later.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest 302Crew

Krissy,

Thank you very much for the information! I figured it was something very similar to that. I wasn't sure though - Thank you! I figured it would have to be at least that long so that they could gather as much information and assess the dog as thoroughly as possible.

We're just so excited. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

I think GINA has already agreed to consider Sudbury.

That would be great!

I have heard wonderful things about them, too.

I'm in Eastern Ontario and none of the Toronto groups would consider us.

I went with a Group in Ottawa for Nixon and then T-Legs in Montreal for Ruby.

Both those groups have you choose your hound from a kennel in Northern Vermont. It was a long drive, but I took a travel companion and made it into a two-day trip.

Nigel originally came to us as a foster from the Ottawa group, so he was delivered right here to us. He did originally come from the kennel in Vermont, as well.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg