Advice Needed ... Goldie Won't Go Jump Into The Van!

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Hello All

~Last week, we decided to take the dogs away to the beach for a week. They are all getting older, 9-11.5, and I wanted to go before it gets any hotter (no winter this year). Anyway, we rented a cargo van, which we have done in the past. Goldie loaded wonderfully on Sunday, and both times for potty breaks. Today, we decided to drive them to the public beach during low tide for a nice walk. Goldie REFUSED to load, and pulled away from the van! We tried walking her around, then loading ... nope. We tried a luring her with a piece of roast beef ... nope. We tried uploading the others and loading her first ... nope.

After we got all the others out of the van, we took them for a nice walk up the road, etc., and she was fine. No limp, etc, AND, she has been jumping off and on the higher beds with no problems or pain. I think she is AFRAID for some reason, and I don't know why. The trip down was great, and went without incident.

We have to leave Sunday morning, and there will be two potty stops on the way back. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am puzzled! ***She did have .5 of Valium on the trip from home to here, so HOPEFULLY, the Valium will help her Sunday.

Thanks a lot for any ideas of help! Dee

Sounds like she just didn't want to go. :lol There's obviously nothing wrong with her back or she wouldn't be jumping on the furniture. If all else fails, pick her up and put her in. Once she realizes she doesn't have a choice in the matter she may cooperate.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Sounds like she just didn't want to go. :lol There's obviously nothing wrong with her back or she wouldn't be jumping on the furniture. If all else fails, pick her up and put her in. Once she realizes she doesn't have a choice in the matter she may cooperate.

That's what we were thinking, too. Didn't want to push it today, cause she HAS TO GO on Sunday, but DH said the same thing. Zowie, they can be stubborn! Poor Staggerlee wouldn't GET OUT of the van :( HE was looking forward to the ride.

Stay tuned!

Has anything changed in the van since you arrived? Something new in there or was her bed in there before and now it's not? Maybe try putting something that is uniquely hers (stuffy, bed or toy????) in there and see if she will get in? Just a thought anyway....

I always laugh because every time Rocket does something weird like that, he won't do it the next time in the same situation. I would love to know what goes through their minds sometimes...:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Energy11

Well, their beds (*really some comforters and pillows from home, are in the rental house here. There were some items from home in the van, though, so who knows. She really didn't get close enough to see what was in there, though. She walked out with the other four, and just dead stopped like they do (put on her brakes), about 2 feet from the van.

Let's HOPE that she will load on Sun. If not, DH has to put here in, bad back and all :( He may try her alone again tomorrow.

Yes, what does go through their minds?? THEY LOVE TRAVELING, and she couldn't wait to load last Sunday ... ugh!

Manero did this for a while. He thought that everywhere we were going was a dog show, and he hated that. A couple years ago when I went to Canada with a friend, she helped me get him in the crate in the van by feeding the leash through the crate to me on the other side, I put tension on it, and gave him no choice but to jump in.

Once we were away from home, he saw the van as the only familiar thing, and jumped in willingly after that.

Once home, though, he started balking again. We fed the lead through the crate again, and "forced" him to go places. Once we started going fun places again, and rewarding him for good behavior, he realized it was not the end of the world. Now he loads with no trouble again.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DragonflyDM

Hello All

~Last week, we decided to take the dogs away to the beach for a week. They are all getting older, 9-11.5, and I wanted to go before it gets any hotter (no winter this year). Anyway, we rented a cargo van, which we have done in the past. Goldie loaded wonderfully on Sunday, and both times for potty breaks. Today, we decided to drive them to the public beach during low tide for a nice walk. Goldie REFUSED to load, and pulled away from the van! We tried walking her around, then loading ... nope. We tried a luring her with a piece of roast beef ... nope. We tried uploading the others and loading her first ... nope.

After we got all the others out of the van, we took them for a nice walk up the road, etc., and she was fine. No limp, etc, AND, she has been jumping off and on the higher beds with no problems or pain. I think she is AFRAID for some reason, and I don't know why. The trip down was great, and went without incident.

We have to leave Sunday morning, and there will be two potty stops on the way back. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am puzzled! ***She did have .5 of Valium on the trip from home to here, so HOPEFULLY, the Valium will help her Sunday.

Thanks a lot for any ideas of help! Dee

It is a bribe, but find a treat that your dog really likes… let him see it, try to get it and then put the treat on the seat out of his reach unless he gets in the vehicle. Their motivation will change. Boomer had this problem and that is what I did. He also occasionally remembers that he hates tile floors, but conveniently remembers when I have a biscuit in my hand for him. It is about directing his attention and motivation. Now Boomer jumps into the car and pulls me towards it hoping for a treat.

I have the same problem with my grey, Tipper. She is fine once in the car, but every once in awhile she plants her feet and absolutely refuses to even get close to the car door. Usually what works is I open the car door, walk around the car a couple of times and lead her back to the door. When she is close to the car she usually goes right in. If not I physically push her closer from the rear and force her in by lifting her paws. There is not pattern to this behavior, but I do notice it rarely happens on trips back home. Maybe a little anxiety about leaving?