Changing Foods

Guest driser

We are trying to change kibble after learning the Iams lamb/rice has chicken in it (which was previously determined to be an issue). At first we tried 50/50, but that made loose stools worse so we slowed down and fed 75 old/25 new for a good week and things seemed to be improving, but now that we've moved onto 50/50 diarrhea again. Is it safe to say this new food (California Natural Lamb and Rice) isn't going to work??

Guest verthib

Yup. I've been posting umpteen threads about this. Generally you'll know within the first 3-5 days if it's going to work. For what it's worth, no animal I've ever had has done good on California Natural. I would scroll through the most recent threads in the Food section and you'll get some ideas of other dog food. If you know lamb works, rachael ray's nutrish Just 6 is a limited ingredient lamb based diet with beet pulp which is a pretty good food for firming up poops without corn, soy or wheat.

You might know that a food is not going to work as early as a few hours after they have had it. If there is no problem with doing the 1/4 cup twice a day then the next point that I usually see problems is when it gets to 1 cup twice a day. A dog's digestive tract is faster so if they make it about 24 to 36 hours without a problem then I would usually increase the food slightly by 1/4 cup increments.

If you are not sure it is the food then go back to the old food and let the digestive system rest for a few days and try again.

24-48 hours max.

Are you sure the dog is chicken intolerant, or just intolerant of a particular chicken-based kibble? There are a *lot* of ingredients in kibble, and a dog can be intolerant of any one of them. Just mentioning this because it can be hard to find a food with no chicken or chicken fat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

I will give a new food about 5 days of transition if there is not horrible D before I quit. If it immediately causes bad D, I donate it to the shelter or try and get a refund.