Last Weeks Emergency

This is more sharing my experience than anything else.

Last Weds I came home around 4 and Sailor had opened up a rubbermaid container of food and helped himself. This happens occasionally and leads to diarrhea. I gave him 2 Immodium then, another at about 1 am (dinnertime here) with a quarter of his dinner. I gave him another around 11 am with a quarter of his breakfast. (Every walk he had had diarrhea.) When I came home around 4, he had thrown up undigested food and had diarrhea. Later we went for a nice walk and when we came back he threw up bile, a bit of food and there was a touch of blood in it, but not much. So I knew to keep an eye on him, but I wasn't freaked out. I figured he had scratched himself with food when he threw up the food earlier. At 9, he threw up again. This time mainly blood with blood clots in it. I called my vet at home and double checked that I should just go to the evet (instead of meeting him at his office). So off we went. Overall he was acting normal. He was alert, curious, had tried to steal my dinner an hour earlier and was jumping and spinning in circles when he realized we were going for a ride. He was panting and seemed a little uncomfortable though. The vet took xrays to make sure he hadn't eaten anything sharp. They were clear, but there was some thickening of the stomach wall, possibly from vomiting. He also had bloodwork done and everything came back normal. Even the BUN which is normally off when there's GI bleeding. She wanted to keep him over night to monitor him and give him fluids and do an ultrasound the next day. He had been drinking fine all day and had no signs of dehydration, so I took him home. He was treated for an ulcer. She said if he didn't get better or got worse he needed an ultrasound. Friday morning he threw up again. It was mainly bile with a bit of blood in it. I have kept up with all the meds and he seems to be doing really well. He is completely hungry. I don't think the 4 cups of chicken and rice a day really equals the 4 cups of kibble a day. Plus even with the flagyl, his poop is loose. I don't think chicken really agrees with him.

I wasn't nearly the nervous wreck I could have been because he was acting mostly normal. Had he been lethargic and really off, I don't know if I would have been functioning.

II was told that a dog vomiting can cause an ulcer and vomiting can cause a split in the stomach. These are the only reasons we can think of for why this happened.

Sorry this happened, that sounds scary. I hope he is on the mend soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am sure that I am stating the obvious, but if this happens "occasionally" you may want to think about a different place for the food that he cant get into so that you are not agravating his medical condition. Hopefully he is feeling better.

How is he doing now? better i hope!

:goodluck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I hope he is feeling better! FWIW, I had a cat the was repeatedly vomiting, just bile after the first few times, but I got really worried when I saw blood. I took him to the evet, and they told me that repeated vomiting can irritate the esophagus and stomach lining, causing them to bleed. Once he stopped vomiting, the bleeding also stopped.

I had moved the food where he can't get out, but we had been away and I forgot to move the travel food container. He had never vomited from getting into the food before let alone vomited blood. Hes back on his normal food and done with his meds and seems to be doing well. His poop is still soft, but he hasn't had real diarrhea since friday I think.

Guest verthib

I had moved the food where he can't get out, but we had been away and I forgot to move the travel food container. He had never vomited from getting into the food before let alone vomited blood. Hes back on his normal food and done with his meds and seems to be doing well. His poop is still soft, but he hasn't had real diarrhea since friday I think.

Good to know. Glad he's feeling better! Angus and Gracie are almost back to normal too.