Canine Papilloma

Guest Charmedseed

Guest Charmedseed

About two weeks ago we took Indy out for his first trip to the dog park! Aw yeah, running and playing with other doggies! It was awesome! Another retired grey even showed up! And man did they ever put on a show for us, tearing around that park. It was amazing to watch!

However, Indy ended up with a bloody claw on one of his back paws. Fortunately we already had a vet appointment that day for his initial check up (really, I think the check up was more for Nick and I.... nervous parents!), so we brought it up while we were there. The vet had a look and said he had basically torn a papilloma there, and of course they bleed a lot (like human papillomas do). She got it all taken care of, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experience? Our doc says it's pretty normal for younger dogs to have them, as it shows up in the juvenile immune systems, and they're usually mostly around the mouth and paws.

Anyone else experience this? Oh, and the removal went fine and Indy is tearing it up around the back yard again!

My staghound had one on her lip when she was young. It went away on its own. My horse had several when he was a yearling. Vet said he could do something for it but it would probably clear up on its own in the same amount of time. Opted to let nature handle it & he never had any more after that.

Guest Charmedseed

That was one of our options, but the vet recommended removing the one on his toe because he'd torn it open and I guess it was a risk for infection. Poor baby! She also said that a lot of the time once you deal with them once, it stimulates the immune system to fight the virus and you don't see them much anymore. Good info!

No doubt your vet did the right thing. Yours was a very different situation.

At the stable one person suggested a remedy. Take a pair of pliers & squeeze the wart. The idea is apparently to squeeze part of the contents into the blood stream specifically to stimulate the immune system. I wasn't brave enough to try it. Sounded too painful for my horse & too likely to get me plastered to the stall wall. Horse vet said that might actually work but leaving it alone was just as likely to work.

Hope Indy is fully healed in record time & has no recurrences.

No doubt your vet did the right thing. Yours was a very different situation.

At the stable one person suggested a remedy. Take a pair of pliers & squeeze the wart. The idea is apparently to squeeze part of the contents into the blood stream specifically to stimulate the immune system. I wasn't brave enough to try it. Sounded too painful for my horse & too likely to get me plastered to the stall wall. Horse vet said that might actually work but leaving it alone was just as likely to work.

Hope Indy is fully healed in record time & has no recurrences.

It DOES work. MANY years ago a vet told me to just scrape them real good with my fingernail till you start to see a little blood and/or some of them come off and they would go away. That particular horse started to get them in the ear. I did and it worked. It has worked for 54 years worth of horses now and amazingly has never failed! And before everybody says I'm stupid for possibly getting it under my fingernail etc. I have also been unaffected for 54 years as well.

Edited by racindog