Worms, Worms, Worms

Guest mariah

Our poor Gussie bird. Last week I noticed she had tapeworms in her stool, took her into the vet. They ran a fecal and didn't see anything else come up besides the tapes. We gave her 3 doses of Panacur–that was finished up on Thursday. She's had kinda soft stools since we got her, but I had assumed it had to do with the stress of entering a new home. But after the Panacur was finished up, (and it looks like the tapes are gone :goodluck ), she started having some diarrhea. She woke us up to go out a few times Saturday night, so I know she wasn't feeling very well. Sunday she appeared to be in good spirits, however, and was eating and drinking as usual. Early this morning, she began urgently waking us up every two hours or so to go out. Lots of liquid poo. :(

Took her back to the vet this afternoon. The vet was looking back over her file and saw that she had tested positive in early January for hookworms and whipworms and had been dosed once with Panacur. She figures she still has one or both of them, and that's what's causing the problem. So we're back on the Panacur again, and flagyl for the diarrhea. Will be bringing in another stool sample for them to retest.

Worm-savvy folks, does this sound about par for the course? I've read that hookworms and whips may sometimes not show up on tests depending on where they are in their life cycle. And that they're hard to kill? I'm also curious as to whether or not the round of Panacur last week may have...I don't know, irritated the worms without fully killing them? Or if it's merely coincidence that she started having the B.M. issues shortly after finishing up with it. This will be her third round of Panacur in the last month. Hoping that it will be the last (assuming that the worms are the culprit). Any advice or insight would be appreciated; I've only had to deal with tapeworms in the past!

Guest GreyMom1998

Hi, I never had a 'real' problem with worms until I got my boy, Boz. He came to me with diarrhea & gas which is par for the first week or so after I get them; new home, new food, new stresses of just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. His first vet visit my vet found Whipworms..YUCK!!

We did our first course of Panacur and retest 4wks later. Whip larvae still showed up so we did a second round of Panacur. Three weeks later he tested clear. But I did a 3rd fecal just to be sure.

NOW, our yearly fecal revealed he has lung worm. My vet had them run the test twice because it is really rare here in So Cal. So now we are on Panacure once again, but now a 10 dose course; altho it is without the flagyl because we don't have the diarrhea.

Panacur is the drug used for worms (round, hooks, whips and tapes) so don't think your vet is misprescribing, and Flagyl (metronidazole) is for the diarrhea. That is exactly what my vet had given Boz for our first adventure in worms. I do think that maybe only three doses are not enough even tho that is standard doseage.

Good Luck - Laura

We give every dog Drontal Plus when they arrive in our program. We have never had an issue with worms.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Panacur does not kill tapes. As others have said, try Drontal Plus to start. It is expensive, but effective.

Perhaps that's what your vet gave you when she first had the tapes?

Down here, we do 5 days Panacur, wait two weeks, then do 5 more days.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

When I gave mine panacur, it did soften up his stools for a bit on the second round, but he got back to normal after a bit. If I have learned anything, it's that a minor irritation in the digestion tract of a greyhound can take a long while to get back on course, depending on how you proceed. Panacur works -- I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

On a side note, I don't think we've run into one another in JP yet. There are a ton of other greyhounds around, and new ones seem to be arriving by the week. I know of six different greyhound within just a few blocks of where I live, and a whole bunch of others in town.

Edited by jaym1

+1 on the Drontal Plus. Awesome stuff!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest verthib

One of my greys is on Panacur for 10 days. Vet says it coats their stomachs. He has IBD.

I thought Flagyl did that, not Panacur? All these worm treatments confuse me. I thought it killed tapes but now I read it doesn't?

Panacur does not kill tapes. As others have said, try Drontal Plus to start. It is expensive, but effective.

Perhaps that's what your vet gave you when she first had the tapes?

Down here, we do 5 days Panacur, wait two weeks, then do 5 more days.

Nope, she only prescribed Panacur. My understanding was that it does kill tapes...I just looked it up though and it says it only kills this one species. I guess there are several types. Thanks for pointing this out! I didn't see any more after she finished up with the first round last week, but I'll be careful to keep an eye on things.

I'm glad I posted about this. I'll ask about Drontal if we don't see an improvement.

On a side note, I don't think we've run into one another in JP yet. There are a ton of other greyhounds around, and new ones seem to be arriving by the week. I know of six different greyhound within just a few blocks of where I live, and a whole bunch of others in town.

JP is full of greyhounds! It's wonderful. I'm not sure we have, either, but if we see you around we'll be sure to say hi!

Guest GreyMom1998

One of my greys is on Panacur for 10 days. Vet says it coats their stomachs. He has IBD.

I thought Flagyl did that, not Panacur? All these worm treatments confuse me. I thought it killed tapes but now I read it doesn't?

I think what the prev poster was refering to was Fenbendazole (Panacur) is used against roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the common tapeworm, Dipylidium caninum. It is up to the lab to decise which tapw worm it is and the vet to prescribe the correct drug.

Droncit Plus is a single dose treatment for the common tapeworm Dipylidium caninum, is the usual target of this medication although praziquantel is also effective against less common types of tapeworms such as Taenia species and the more dangerous Mesocestoides species and Echinococcus species.

Guest verthib

I think what the prev poster was refering to was Fenbendazole (Panacur) is used against roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the common tapeworm, Dipylidium caninum. It is up to the lab to decise which tapw worm it is and the vet to prescribe the correct drug.

Droncit Plus is a single dose treatment for the common tapeworm Dipylidium caninum, is the usual target of this medication although praziquantel is also effective against less common types of tapeworms such as Taenia species and the more dangerous Mesocestoides species and Echinococcus species.

But another poster said his vet gave him Panacur to cost the stomach for IBD. I thought Flagyl did that. Thank you for the explanation about the worms. Can Droncit be taken alone to cover all worms, or is it taken in conjunction with Panacur?

Guest GreyMom1998

But another poster said his vet gave him Panacur to cost the stomach for IBD. I thought Flagyl did that. Thank you for the explanation about the worms. Can Droncit be taken alone to cover all worms, or is it taken in conjunction with Panacur?

Flagyl is an antibiotic. It can be used for a number of ways, sort of off label uses like botox now being used for migraine treatment. Flagyl can be used for the treatment of colitis which can be caused by IBD, it can also be used as an anti-diarrheal as it has anti-inflammitory properties in the large intestine.

As for Panacur vs Droncit - There are a lot of factors that need to be looked at with that one. First it needs to be determined which type of worm it is. Neither treatment kills ALL forms of worms. Then does the vet even carry Droncit?? Some may not. Think about it. As a business do you charge $30 for a three day course of treatment or $15 for one treatment. But there is one drawback I read with the Droncit, in cases of flea infestation it is possible for the dog to be reinfected almost immediately if the environment is infested as well. You would really have to have a vet who is really willing to work with you and be open to your request for input into treatment.

Can Droncit be taken alone to cover all worms, or is it taken in conjunction with Panacur?

Droncit is praziquantel and pretty much just deworms for tapeworms.

Drontal Plus contains praziquantel, pyrantel, and febantel and is a broad-spectrum dewormer that covers all the major intestinal parasites - roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm going to double check with them when I go in today, but I think from doing some further reading that the taenia tapeworms are the ones they get from eating wild animals, while the common tapeworm comes from fleas? Is that correct? Regardless, after reading here I'm a little confused as to why they would prescribe panacur as their first choice for tapes...we started that before they even got the lab results back.

We had a long fight against hooks when we first adopted Bootsy. 2-3 rounds of panacur took care of it. Then he got them again about a year later because I wasn't good about keeping up with the revolution. Two doses of drontal took care of them. Now I'm good about keeping him on the revolution monthly.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~