Happy Tail Is Looking Yucky

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

Minerva has had happy tail since the day she came here (January 28th). It has stopped bleeding so I stopped wrapping it so it could get some air. I've noticed her licking it, but nothing that raised red flags. Well, I got home from class today and I was quite surprised to see what it looked like. Now she won't leave her tail alone.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic. That white stuff is gooey, it almost seems like skin to me.

-1-4.jpg

What do you guys think? Continue wrapping and hope for the best? Or is it time to see a vet?

Guest verthib

So it's barely been a couple of weeks? From what I've read on here people keep the tails wrapped longer. And probably while you're gone just to be sure she isn't aggravating it. I'n sure someone that has experience with happy tail will chime in. I would probably go to the vet if that was my dog's tail.

Summer had it! I wrapped it for the first few days and after that, I only wrapped it when we went out (don't want bleeding at Grandma's or to have a car accident because I keep checking on her), when I knew her blood pressure would be raised but she wouldn't be licking (like at a fun run) or when she'd be unattended. If she'd licked it while I was sleeping, I would have wrapped it then, too, but I was lucky there.

I can't tell how awful it may be from the picture. Can you get a better pic? I think we need one...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Bree,

Personally, I would shave the tail down 1/2" or so past the wound. Then clean the wound well. I put a tampon tube over the tip of the tail and tape to fur, this seems to protect the tail when wagging. I would not wrap the wound, leave it open but covered. Each day I would put a fresh spray or coating of EMT spray or Gel.

Chad

Hi Brie, When Sterling cut his tail I had wrapped frequently and used neosporin. Unfortunately his would not heal. Took him to the vet and ended up amputating 4". Tails are tricky. I'd have Miss Minerva'a tail checked by the vet. Good luck.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Further to Chad's suggestion, I've heard that some people also use the foam part of a curler. Or the foam insulation wrapping for water pipes. So that you can keep it open yet protected.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I totally disagree on the shaving part--and YES. Keep it wrapped for at least two weeks after it's stopped bleeding. You need the fur near the wound to hold the tape.

George's took naerly 2 months to fully heal, but has been fine since.

My last dog's tail bled for 16 weeks before we gave up and had 2 inches removed during his major orthopedic surgery.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest happygrey

Don't have any happy tail experience but have had plenty of wound experience. Does it smell at all? If it does I'd take her to the vet. It could be infected.

Poor Miss M! Hope she's better soon. :)

Guest Marlil2

We"ve had two greys with happy tail. The first one we were successful in healing. I used neosporin on the wound and dressed it using a metal finger splint to protect it and allow it to get some air.

The second grey's tail broke open frequently despite treatment and wrapping. We had "blood splatter" several times in the house and car that looked like a crime scene! The tail refused to heal and the tip developed 'granulated' tissue that the vet said would never heal properly. We finally had about 5" of the tail amputated. It healed perfectly and no more happy tail! Our pup felt much better afterward also.

You may consider amputating the tip of the tail if she continues to have a problem. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Guest OurIndy

Hi Brie! Sorry to hear Miss Minerva's tail isn't doing the best :( I'm no expert, but as you know Piper's happy tail was pretty bad when she first came home with us so I thought I'd let you know what I've been doing. Basically we re-wrapped the tail everyday until it stopped bleeding and then when the scab was well established we let the bandage stay on until she wagged it off (2-3days). Now there's a bunch of new tissue growth and some hair growing back, but we're planning on keeping it wrapped until the hair is all the way back and the tissue isn't so fragile! I think in the beginning it's important to dry the wound out (antibiotic sprays instead of ointment usually work) so that it isn't as necessary to give it air. Once it's not oozy you can just keep it covered and protected until the tail has rebounded.

Basically I think protection is more important than aeration.

Kisses to your pups, and extra scratches to your patient :colgate