Playing With Humans

Guest abarnet1

Guest abarnet1

My recently adopted grey will play by herself. She will throw her toys around and bark at them. When I try to play with her she does not know what to do and will drop her toys. :( I would love for her to play with me, like tug and go and get her toys when I throw them for her. Is there anything I can do to show here that playing with me is okay?????

It takes time for some of them to realize that we can play with them. Be patient. I have special games with both of my 2. They are goofy little things that we made up. Sailor steps on my heels when he wants me to chase him and Bu body slams me when he wants me to make him dance.

Guest jbbuzby

What I'd suggest is getting some really REALLY NEAT squeaky toys and only bring them out when you are physically there (when you go away,the toys go away too). If you're out in an open space (like outdoors), bring out a super awesome toy and throw it. Then, once they make a few laps with it, smile and tell them good, and encourage them to come back. If they don't, toss the next super really awesome neat toy, and while they go for it, take back the original. Then repeat. It doesn't hurt to throw in a few sudden stomps in their too to imitate the play-bow.

It took months for my dog to understand this concept though, as they need to trust you first and bond. Just keep trying and they'll get it eventually! They really can't help it, as many have never seen people as playmates before...just caretakers/a whole different category.

As for tug, this really isn't a typical play-style of sight hounds (they are known for play-chasing). No doubt some of them learn it on their own, but it is kind of a confrontational game, and greys tend to not be into that. I'm sure it is something that can be taught (you could try clicker training/rewarding for even holding the item and progressing from there) but honestly, I've had no luck with it either, and I've had my grey for a year! My second one reacts the same way; I'll get them to bite at the toy, but as soon as their is pressure, they surrender. Again though, I think this is just their nature, and mine are both submissive dogs.

The fetch-thing though, they've totally got down. They'll also get super excited and return my play "bows" of sudden happy jerky stomp and will do three laps for every little stomp. It's very cute ^_^

I'd give him more time to settle in and figure out his new life.

That said, we've had Nixon for nearly 2 years, and he does not play at all.

Ruby, either.

Very occasionally I can get one of them to 'chase' me.

Nigel, who has only been here for 2 months, will catch a stuffie if you throw it.

They do play 'tag' with each other out in the yard.

Not all dogs are 'players'.

We've had other breeds of dogs (Spaniel, 3 Dobes, GSD, Pointer) over the past 30 years, and only one of the Dobes and the Pointer liked to 'play' with humans.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Did you adopt through a group? If so, did they tell you that greyhounds don't really "play" like regular dogs. If you want a dog to play tug of war, fetch, etc, you adopted the wrong dog. Their natural instinct is to chase, so those types of games is what they like. Try throwing a stuffy, they will chase it down usually, but don't expect them to bring it back. Have a pile of toys and throw them one at a time. It may work. Another thing they love that you can do is a "lure pole". Get a horse whip (if you have a farm-n-fleet or something similar) and a fox tail or other small animal tail. Tie the tail to the end of the whip and pull it around in a large sweeping arc. Your hound should go nuts chasing the tail.

Chad

Guest BrianRke

My first grey would never play with me. If I would "catch" her playing with her toys, she would immediately stop. She did this her entire life. Two of the three I have now will play with me. Frank however, is not very interested in toys.

It took Batman a while, but he definitely plays tug - not for hours and hours like other dogs, but he will enjoy it for a few minutes. I didn't do anything special - just hung out with him while he was playing, tossed toys for him, offered toys for him to grab out of my hand, and occasionally grabbed them while he was playing with them (even if that caused him to drop them).

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

my dog JUST started to understand he could chase and be chased by me and have fun playing a week ago. ive had him for about four months. they have never in their lives interacted with people like this, so you just have to be patient. itll just happen spontaneously she's ready.

Guest WhiteWave

It takes some time. Ronon didn't play or anything for the first 6 months we had him. Now he is comfortable and will play, but he prefers to run and likes for me stand in the middle of the yard and scream "go Ronon go" as he tears around the yard like it is a race track and then he comes running to me and likes to be told his is the fastest stripey hound in the world! That is his idea of play.

Now Riddick plays rough, but he is a puppy we raised. He will play tug, chase, wrestle, etc. But he was brought up in a home doing these things.

I did have one that loved fetch or frisbee. Everyone is different, you just have give her time to settle and find out what she likes.

I've had my dog for close to five years. He does not play. Well, about once a month, for about 10 seconds, he'll shake the one stuffy of dozens I gave him that he EVER touches, but that's it.

He's just not into it!

Your dog may come around, or not.

Hopefully you'll be willing to accept which ever sort of dog she ends up being! For me it's a nice break. My last dog was a mix and he NEVER wanted to stop playing. 12 years of throwing stinky stuffies around every night...I miss him horribly, but I don't mind a dog who is cool with just snoozing and looking handsome!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Beth's way of playing with me involves jumping and play-biting when she gets ramped up -- greys playing with each other involves a lot of "bitey-face" so she's treating me like another dog. It's cute but I probably should have done more to discourage it. She has run after a thrown object only very occasionally in the 3+ years I've had her, and never tugged anything. The lure pole, yes -- but only after I attached a real fox tail to the end.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Kasey took forever to learn how to play in general. Ryder picked up on it the day he came home. Each one is different. I think some greys get it and like it and others don't care. I can also get Ryder to play with me in seconds, Kasey takes a lot of work - he's older now too and could care less and only plays now when he's in the mood. I think the fact that she is playing by herself is really good news for you - means that she does like to play.

I agree with grabbing some really cool squeaky toys. I would suggest something squeaky and LARGE so you can hang on with one end and still have room for her to grab. Squeak it in her presence to get her attention, and dangle and throw it around in front of her to get her excited. Genuinely interact with her and the toy. If she grabs for it let her have it. If she drops it, grab it again and try again. It seems like she is not possessive of the toy which is good.

I'd say don't approach her to play when she is playing by herself. You should start the play with her first.

You can also use play as a reward for good behaviour. Ask her to sit (if she knows how) and then give her the toy as a reward instead of food. If she doesn't know how to sit, this is a great time to teach her! This might be very motivating for her and she might "get" it.

We also play with blankets at our house. If Ryder is laying around being a bum, I'll start to play with him by draping his blanket over his head and playing hide and seek. He gets excited and tugs, etc. You just have to bond with her a bit more. I'm not sure how "new" she is to you, but she might just need a little more time to make it out of her shell.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Wasserbuffel

My grey only wants to play tug when I've got something I don't actually want her to have. Over time it's become customary for us to hand her the junk mail to shred when we walk into the house. She also gets grocery bags to beat up too (supervised, of course). So, now she's come to expect that when we come inside and are holding something, she'll get part of it.

I treat training as play time. Jayne likes learning new things, and repeating old tricks for treats. Her favorite way to play, however, is to wrestle with me. She loves to roughhouse, but she's the one who initiated that type of playing.

Guest ashphobiax

I've found that glider will only play with me in the morning while I'm laying in bed an he's on the floor just as I'm waking up I'll stick my hand out from under the covers and just Pet him which then turns into playing since he's all excited im getting up :)