I May Need Some Help!

Well, I have had Bacardi for 5 days now and everything was going splendid with the housetraining until yesterday. I have housetrained puppies before but this is my first grey. She sits by the door to ask to go out but last night she suddenly started going pee in the house. This morning I let her out to potty as soon as she was awake. she went both pee and poo outside and I let her back in and I turn around and she has pooped on the carpet! and then peed in the kitchen. I have been picking up the water dish so as she does not have access to the water all day, and I keep a very close eye on her cause she does have run of the whole house.

Should I be leaving her water down? Or should I just offer it to her a few times a day? As a rule after she drinks I let her outside to pee after about 15 minutes. I am not sure why she is suddenly going potty in the house, she gets let out a ton and goes outsideto potty frequently. I do have a crate too that I have been using as I would love to have her crate trained as well. Any advice anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated, especially because we just had new carpet put into the majority of the house.

thanks

Congratulations on Bacardi! I love the name!

I don't think that 5 days is enough to have a new grey housetrained. Or any dog, for that matter. So I'm not surprised that she is eliminating inside. But I wouldn't take away her water access -- you said you were taking it away ALL DAY?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

she does have run of the whole house.

I would limit her to the kitchen or a few rooms to start. She is probably not use to so much freedom and getting off kilter. Leave her out until she pee's and poo's twice at least. If she is right off the track she may be use to being rotated between 3 or 4 areas to go in before she has to go back inside.

At the track I was at they only have their water when they are outside. Maybe try the water outside. I keep a small bowl inside but the large water bowl is outside.

You will have to learn her potty routine.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

It has been a while since I raised a puppy, but this "Umbilical cord" technique worked well the last time. See what you think.

(I used this technique on my fresh-off-the track adult Greyhound, too. Not only did it work wonders, I think he and I developed a deep bond from those early days! I didn't reward him with treats, but every time he pottied outside, I acted like he had just won the Kentucky Derby! I am sure the neighbors still talk about what goofball I am!)

I am not a fan of withholding water from the dog. I believe you can keep her hydrated - and keep your floors dry - by vigilantly using this technique.

I know it is exasperating. Especially with new carpet. Stay the course, though. Don't give her the opportunity to fail. Either keep her in her crate, or tie her to you. Once you get through this phase, you will be well on your way to having the best dog ever! (that is, after you get through the teething phase, which umbilical cord training will help, too.)

Good luck!

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Well, I have had Bacardi for 5 days now and everything was going splendid with the housetraining until yesterday. I have housetrained puppies before but this is my first grey. She sits by the door to ask to go out but last night she suddenly started going pee in the house. This morning I let her out to potty as soon as she was awake. she went both pee and poo outside and I let her back in and I turn around and she has pooped on the carpet! and then peed in the kitchen. I have been picking up the water dish so as she does not have access to the water all day, and I keep a very close eye on her cause she does have run of the whole house.

Should I be leaving her water down? Or should I just offer it to her a few times a day? As a rule after she drinks I let her outside to pee after about 15 minutes. I am not sure why she is suddenly going potty in the house, she gets let out a ton and goes outsideto potty frequently. I do have a crate too that I have been using as I would love to have her crate trained as well. Any advice anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated, especially because we just had new carpet put into the majority of the house.

thanks

Others have more experience than me. However, if she pees after 15 minutes, and then again later, is the first pee what she has stored up and the second one the pee from the drink? In other words, how long does it take for water to pass through?

Second, one of mine poos once only, unless we are on a long walk. This is obviously a good thing as it makes life very easy. The other has one poo as a warm-up, and then poos again in about 15 - 30 minutes. If I brought her in early (as I have done in the past), I would find presents in the house. This is replicated with pee. One looooooong pee for one, one medium sized pee for the other, with plenty left in the tank for marking. Or peeing in the house. The only exception is last turn-out which is one pee from both of them.

Third, one of ours (the one having accidents) pees when she is especially excited or frightened. So now we know that if they've been left alone for about 6 hours, we need to get them outside immediately, or failing that, staying on tiled floors and not on the carpet until we do get them out (within 5 minutes, but sometimes icecream does need to be put away). If they have been left for less time (say two hours), we come home and then they're left again, for another two hours, they need to go out immediately because of the same issue.

Factors that change things: the weather. It's been really odd weather here, but it is summer and they have water whenever they want it. I would never leave an animal without access to water and really, it's too hot not to. This means that they may drink more or less depending on temperature, but on very hot days, they've needed to pee more. These are the days they really shouldn't be outside, however, we make the best of it. Changes in diet: we struggled for a long time with this, but have finally found a food which works and we now have a routine. This means that I can predict, within reason, what will happen and when. Before this, things were always being adjusted and so were the toileting habits. If you'be only had your guy for a few days, is this one of the issues with his body adjusting?

As I said, there are people much more experienced than me, but these are some of the things that I've noticed with our two. Getting to know them and setting them, and us, up for success has been critical. Now I'm ready to get our carpets steam-cleaned and some new rugs down.

Guest verthib

thanks

Mine poop and pee twice, especially in the morning. I wouldn't take her water away. They should have free access to water unless there is a medical condition or they hoard water. Give it a few weeks, she'll be house trained beautifully.

If you've had experience housebreaking puppies, then you should have no trouble. Despite her being an adult, she has had NO housebreaking, so the easiest thing is to go about it as if she were a puppy.

Don't withhold water. Once she learns it's always there, she'll learn to only drink when she's thirsty.

You also need to remove ALL traces of prior accidents in the house.

Go outside with her. Praise her to the heavens when she goes outside.

Put the accidents behind you, start as if it's day one and she's 8 weeks old, and I'm sure she'll have it in no time since it sounds like she has a decent idea already! Also, if you haven't already had her to your vet for an exam, now is a good time. It's possible she's got a mild UTI and that's why she's starting having accidents!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

well, I have been praising her bigtime when she goes outside, and I made a huge mistake by punishing her and puting her in her crate for a few minutes cause I had to clean up the mess she had made. I put her water back down so she can drink freely. and we have done better today since I had let her out more. she seems to be picking up on my bordercollie going potty outside, cause she follows her outside and goes when she does. my BC is helping pottytrain her, lol. I am hping it will get better and I am guess I just need to keep a closer eye on her.

she seems to be picking up on my bordercollie going potty outside, cause she follows her outside and goes when she does. my BC is helping pottytrain her, lol. I am hping it will get better and I am guess I just need to keep a closer eye on her.

:nod

In my experience other dogs will help train the newbies.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BrianRke

OH ok...thats good info. I would crate train her at that age(just my opinion). Crate when you are not home, take her out immediatedly after you get home. Stay out with her for a good 20-30 min. Crate her at night and take her out as soon as you get up. When you are home with her, watch her closely and take her out every couple hours.

Personally, I would never let an 11 week old puppy have free reign of the house when you are gone. There are lots of things that could happen. I would crate her for her safety and for your peace of mind.

I'm not as experienced as some people at this site but for what it's worth, every puppy I've had was taken out every two hours while very young and as control improved on their part gradually lengthened the time between potty trips. Doing it that way in my opinion prevents the accidents from happening. Act like a lunatic when the pup does the right thing and I also didn't give the puppy run of the house. They would have eaten the house and left poops and puddles all over. An entire house is too much for a puppy. IMHO. Have fun with your cute puppy. I've never had a greyhound puppy. Have read on greytalk that they're a handful but sooooooo cute. Good luck!

Guest PhillyPups

Well stated above. I would never take away water from any dog, just my personal opinion and experience, I am glad to see you put it back for her. Time, remember babies do not potty train overnight, it will take time and patience. I have heard that the leash to your belt method works well, that and when you do nothave her tied to you, babygate her in an uncarpeted room. A babygate where she can see out, NOt a closed door, she is a sighthound and needs to see around her.

Good luck. I have found that my 2-1/2 year old puppy is enough puppy for me. :lol:lol

Edited by PhillyPups

I think I am going to crate train her but my problem is, I am home a lot with her and she comes to work with me so essentially we are never apart. I have tied her leash around my waist now so she cannot get up to go anywhere without me knowing. And she is never left in the house alone so thats no problem. She is doing much better today about it!

And she is never left in the house alone so thats no problem.

I am not a puppy expert, but I think alone training something you'd better start practicing -- eventually you will have to leave her alone, and you are likely to be in for some very unpleasant surprises if you haven't carefully worked up to her being used to being left (and preferably with a crate).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest cuchulainn

I too adopted a 10 week old grey pup and although I have had years of experience of house training border collies and lurchers, this was altogether another kettle of fish. All the advice given so far is spot on it's worth mixing and matching until you find what suits your pup but patience and not having high expectations are the order of the day.

Whenever I couldn't give him my full and uninterrupted attention he went into a soft travel crate but rarely for more than 15 minutes unless he was already sleeping. He was taken outside on the leash every

few hours. Whenever he ate or drank anything he was taken into the garden immediately to do his business and I tapped him on his back twice and said wee wee. He quickly figured out that he wouldn't get back into the warm house until he had produced something. So far so good. However, nights were a nightmare. The crate was easily moved from room to room as needed so the family took turns keeping him close by so that at the first hint of stirring he was taken out. This went on and on and although everyone says that a dog won't mess it's own sleep area, I can attest to the opposite. We all made a fuss over him if he asked to go out; he was praised and rewarded every time yet I couldn't say he was house trained until he was nearly 8 months old.

Now, we love him dearly but laid back and lazy don't begin to describe him and I think that maybe the things that we love him for a re the things that made the training so fraught. By the way the "wee wee " and patting routine has paid off. For example, if we are setting off on a car journey or such like, we say the magic words and he performs every time.

Guest verthib
<br />
And she is never left in the house alone so thats no problem.<br />
<br /><br />I am not a puppy expert, but I think alone training something you'd better start practicing -- eventually you <i>will</i> have to leave her alone, and you are likely to be in for some very unpleasant surprises if you haven't carefully worked up to her being used to being left (and preferably with a crate).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

:nod