Softish Orangey Poop

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

So I just started switching Angus from Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon to Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato. He got his first quarter cup last night mixed in his food. This morning his poop was formed but really soft and barely pick-up-able. It was also on the orangey side. Is this normal when switching over? I guess I'm wondering if I should just scrap the switch or might his poop get better after a few days. I know some of you who have had many greys for many years and have done switches say after 2 or 3 days you can tell if it's not working. I realllllllly have high hopes for this food. I'm kind of feeling discouraged. So many people feed ND with good results, not to mention the cost savings, so I just really thought this was finally the answer. Thoughts?

I know the orange could be from sweet potatoes. The salmon part could cause mushiness. There is a sweet potaote venison one that natural balance makes. Lexie is on that one and she has a sensitive tummy. I am sure others will help out too.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Not working. What I usually go by ... if after their first 1/4 cup if the next poop was soft (12 hours or less) then that food wasn't going to work. Time to try another one.

If you keep on giving that dog food, the diarrhea could get worse so it's not usually wise to think that more time might make it better. If you want to try again, go back to the regular food until the poop is better and then try adding 1/4 cup again and see if you get the soft poop again.

Not working. What I usually go by ... if after their first 1/4 cup if the next poop was soft (12 hours or less) then that food wasn't going to work. Time to try another one.

If you keep on giving that dog food, the diarrhea could get worse so it's not usually wise to think that more time might make it better. If you want to try again, go back to the regular food until the poop is better and then try adding 1/4 cup again and see if you get the soft poop again.

yes, this.

Guest verthib

I know the orange could be from sweet potatoes. The salmon part could cause mushiness. There is a sweet potaote venison one that natural balance makes. Lexie is on that one and she has a sensitive tummy. I am sure others will help out too.

But the Natural Balance is SO expensive, that's why we were trying to find something cheaper but still good quality. He's had venison liver with horrid results so venison scares me.

You're right -- Natural Balance is expensive but the alternatives are a home-made diet or a food like prescription ID ......or the countless vet visits when it moves past just being diarrhea and becomes an "immune issue".

If you are feeding food that gives soft poop and is close to diarrhea - think what it is doing to the insides of the dog. It's diarrhea because the intestines are pushing the stuff out so fast that it is not able to be formed and that means the gut is having a bad reaction to it.

Just as long as the Natural Balance still works then you can try other dog foods every few days and maybe another one that is more reasonable will work out. Some stores have sample packets - ask next time you go in. Also, check out some web sites and they might have some "free" coupons.

If you haven't already done it, you might want to consider doing an elimination diet to determine what food ingredients will work.

I had (or rather Isaac had) a very bad experience with one of the NB food -- I think it was the fish & sweet potato. Isaac is now on duck & potato NB and doing well.

Can you get Prairie beef there? Everyone else is one that and they get one cup of kibble a day and one feeding of BilJac frozen.

Lots of people feed Costco food and their dogs do well.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest verthib

He doesn't get diarrhea, it's just soft. I noticed the higher the fiber the better his poops. Where Gracie is the opposite.

ETA: I just want normal poop from all my animals in this house! :lol It's my daily wish.

Edited by verthib

All I can tell you is that if it isn't working, you can get a full refund from Costco. I returned to large bags of lamb and rice. One was even opened and about a 1/4 gone. They asked why, and Len said the dogs were sick since they started taking it and he got a full refund. All their products are guaranteed.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest verthib

All I can tell you is that if it isn't working, you can get a full refund from Costco. I returned to large bags of lamb and rice. One was even opened and about a 1/4 gone. They asked why, and Len said the dogs were sick since they started taking it and he got a full refund. All their products are guaranteed.

I'm going to give it a full three days (one down, two to go). If it doesn't get better I'll return it. I didn't know they took returns. Thank you for telling me!!

Guest Audeamus

With us normally I can tell right away if the food is going to work or not. The big deciding factors for me are : is Gir licking more than usual and how are his poops. If he's having smooshy poops and they're off coloured then I'll give the food a couple more days if he's not licking himself more. If right away he begins to lick himself more then I don't give the food a chance other than that.

The best poops and less licking he's had have been on NB Vension and Sweet Potatoe, Duck and Potatoe and Orijen the light blue one (the one without a lot of fish in it).

Have you tried Iams green bag? I didn't read the whole thread, but Iams has helped many dogs with soft stools. If he is allergic to chicken that won't work.

Also I know someone who mixes Iams with another food to firm up the stools.

Guest verthib

Have you tried Iams green bag? I didn't read the whole thread, but Iams has helped many dogs with soft stools. If he is allergic to chicken that won't work.

Also I know someone who mixes Iams with another food to firm up the stools.

He can't have chicken (diarrhea) or corn (itchy). But I'm in the process of mixing two foods, one of them being lamb with beet pulp. We'll see what happens.

When ever we swich foods for our dogs I always add in some canned pumpkin unsweeted :) Thae fiber from the pumpkin helps with the transition. works like a charm ;)

Guest verthib

Ugh Nature's Domain isn't working. Not only does Angus have soft poo, now Gracie my girl with the iron stomach, has it too. :(

I had such hope for this food!! Back to the drawing board!

what do you mean by orange -- are would talking like ORANGE orange, or more of a burnt umber with yellowed undertones?

after i switched to iams with success, there was sudden brief period of softer stools. i started adding a heaping 1/4 tbsp for psyllium husk powder, and ever since his poop has been grade-a perfect. positively sculptural. at this point i dont know if i need to keep adding it, but i'm going to go with it for a while. its very inexpensive and all-natural. might be worth trying it out.

Guest verthib

what do you mean by orange -- are would talking like ORANGE orange, or more of a burnt umber with yellowed undertones?

after i switched to iams with success, there was sudden brief period of softer stools. i started adding a heaping 1/4 tbsp for psyllium husk powder, and ever since his poop has been grade-a perfect. positively sculptural. at this point i dont know if i need to keep adding it, but i'm going to go with it for a while. its very inexpensive and all-natural. might be worth trying it out.

Orangey. Kind of like brownish orange. Tried yet another food, Kirkland. No go. Up in the middle of the night with potty breaks. Ugh. We're going back to what worked really well for Gracie, and kinda well for Angus- Natural Balance with a scoop of Rachael Ray for the fibrous beet pulp. I guess cost savings can't be in our equation right now. It's more important that they eat something they tolerate. We can try something else later, I just want their bellies and bowels to get settled.

PS Where did you buy the psyllium husk powder?

Edited by verthib

Guest sirsmom

We feed red bag Iams (lamb & rice) mixed with a little of our girl's favorite Purina One shredded blend small bites beef and we've had perfect poop since we started. (we tried most of the high cost brands with no luck) The red bag Iams has lower fat than green bag and some dogs do best with lower.(she can handle the green bag but does excellent on red) Iams is not her favorite so thus, we mix but its worth the extra effort. I do add a fish oil capsule every other day as it is not included in either of the foods and they both get a few extras from what we eat. I would definitely go back to what they did best on and keep it that way for at least a few months to get the tummy to calm down and would not experiment further (just my opinion) If price is the problem I would just feed all Rachel Ray and forget NB-- you can always add things later on like a spoonful of good quality canned or a little homecooked.

Guest verthib

I had (or rather Isaac had) a very bad experience with one of the NB food -- I think it was the fish & sweet potato. Isaac is now on duck & potato NB and doing well.

Can you get Prairie beef there? Everyone else is one that and they get one cup of kibble a day and one feeding of BilJac frozen.

Lots of people feed Costco food and their dogs do well.

I know they do, that's why I tried it.... It sounded like that would be the answer to our nightmare. Oh well. I'm going to give it a rest for a bit so things can settle down. (I did try the NB duck and it was explosive diarrhea...probably because duck is generally more fatty? Who knows.... all I know is Angus has a terrible digestive track!)

I feed mine the Costco salmon and sweet potato. They seem to do well on it. On longer walks Olive will poop about 3 times. The first time is firm, second is softer, and the third is very soft. It is also an "orangey" color. I don't worry about it - I think a long walk gets her bowels moving.

Bill

We switched from NB Venison/Sweet Potato to KIrkland Lamb/Rice along with cooked sweet potatoes, veggies, turkey, chicken, or beef with no problems. Now I mix in the Iam's mini since our access to Costco is sporadic, and poops are solid, and NO GAS at all. I supplement with raw beef neck bones, chicken leg quarters, chicken feet or turkey necks a few times a week too and all that does is make the poops better :)

I slowly introduced the veggies/fruits, etc. to assure that no gut issues developed. Since both sleep with me, I am grateful for the happy tummies and no gas! yay.gif We have grey sleepovers from time to time and everyone gets the mix and it seems to work for all - even the one sensitive guy that visits has no problem.

I have never noticed that feeding sweet potatoes caused orange poop, but agree that after much exercise and elimination they get softer and lighter color usually.

Good luck!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest verthib

Well all poops are back to normal with Natural Balance and a small scoop of Rachael Ray...do we're sticking with it for now. I thought for sure the Nature's Domain salmon would work but there are just too many ingredients I think.

Guest Sonya_Thomas

I feed mine the Costco salmon and sweet potato. They seem to do well on it. On longer walks Olive will poop about 3 times. The first time is firm, second is softer, and the third is very soft. It is also an "orangey" color. I don't worry about it - I think a long walk gets her bowels moving.

Bill

This is exactly what happens with my Rosie. She is on ND salmon and sweet potato and her poops in the yard are PERFECT, but when we go on a walk, she has the same series of events as your pup - 1st poop is perfect, 2nd is softer, 3rd is orange and VERY soft. I came to the same conclusion as you - she gets so excited to be on a walk and I think that coupled with all the movement get her bowels moving as well.

Sonya