Sliding Glass Doors

Guest Eyeblaura

Micah ran through the sliding screen door after he had been with us for almost a year. The screen door was totally destroyed .......thank God the screen took the hit and Micah was fine. Taught us a lesson! Dogs forget stuff just like we do. We are ver careful with all of our sliding doors now. They're marked.

Forever. I have two Greyhound decals at eye level on my living room sliders.

One of my closest friends lost a hound to running into her slider. This was not a new dog in her home. This was not even a young rambunctious dog. This was a middle age girl who had lived in this home for a couple of years. She had used the same door multiple times each day for those two years. One night she just 'forgot' the doors were there and ran head on right into them. She broke her neck and died instantly. I was with my friend when she got the call from her husband who was home with the dogs while we attended a Greyhound fundraiser. Trust me, you don't ever want to be with someone when they get a call like that. sad.gif My friend has since replaced her patio sliders with french doors with many panels. The pain and guilt never goes away though.

Something extra that I do is lean a tall wooden baby gate in front of the doors when the dogs go out. It is an impossible to miss reminder that the glass is blocking their entry to the house. I have learned from what happened to my friends' hound.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest verthib

I don't use decals at all because my dogs don't use the sliders. We have a curtain hanging in front of them. If we did use them, I'd have decals. Also when the slider is open during summer months, we have hanging things on the screen. We do have a double safety net by having a gate at the stairs of the deck, so if they burst through the screen, there would still be a barrier out there.