Introducing....

BertnLil

When I saw Melony's post Link something spoke to me. We had just lost Lily a few days before, and I was (and still am) mourning her loss. I've lost other pets (and my father) before, but Lily's loss is different. It's different because although I'm so sad and miss her so much, there is a large part of me that is so grateful just to have known her. That I was able to share my life with such an amazing soul. And that feeling makes the sadness less at times. It's difficult to explain.

Anyway, I saw this post, and showed my husband (who is absolutely DEVASTATED at the loss of Lily), and he said, "It's like it's a sign. Lily never got to be a senior. Tell her we'll take two." :blink: TWO? Are you nuts?

We had wanted a female to balance out our pack (male JRT and male lab), but Melony said all the girls were spoken for. There WAS, however, a female shepherd mix, 12 years old. I said we could take her and one of the CALM males. She matched us up with Sockem, a fawn male. Plans were made; Melony was bringing them up in a hauler to the east coast on Saturday the 28th, and I could pick them up at the GFNJ kennel on Sunday morning.

Nervous, nervous, nervous. It's a two hour drive from my house to the kennel. I was working on 3 hours' sleep (I'm a restaurant manager and had closed the night before). What the HELL had I gotten myself into?

I got to the kennel, I picked them up. Met a real GT "celebrity," Phillypups! It was so great to meet you, Pat!

Shelby is adorable, Sockem is GORGEOUS. Lovable, calm. Perfect.

Stopped by my sister's house to pick her up to help with introductions (DH had plans that day that had been set in stone for months, and would be home later that day). Initial introductions with Birdie (JRT) are ALWAYS difficult. Repeat--what the heck am I getting myself into? Sometimes I think it's a good thing we have him, otherwise I'd have a house full of dogs. Hmmm, some people might argue that four IS a house full of dogs, but... I digresss....

Birdie was a jerk, as usual. Not with Sockem, surprisingly, but with Shelby. He acted as if Sockem had always lived here. We were shocked.

Shelby has flea dermatitis and two infected ears. Before I had picked them up I had made a vet appt. for Wednesday, but when we saw how uncomfortable she was, called the vet first thing Monday morning, and they fit them both in. They gave her a cortisone shot, she's on 2 antibiotics, and enzymatic drops for her ears. Because of the cortisone shot, she has to go back in two weeks for vaccinations. Sockem got all his shots, and I want to schedule a dental for both of them--both their mouths are pretty bad.

Sockem. Sockem is gorgeous. He looks like a skinny polar bear. He reminds me of a ghost. He has Cleopatra eyeliner, it goes over his fawn eyelashes. He is SO furry, he has the thickest, softest coat, he even has a super fuzzy butt! We looked in his ears, turns out he is Kass Sockem. His birthday is July 11, 2003. What would have been my father's 68th birthday. My father died July 6, 2003. Sockem was born the day after we buried my father. I kept saying he was like a ghost. Hmmm.....

Things are getting easier every day with Birdie. He still growls at Shelby every once in awhile, so we are keeping her crated when we aren't home.

Thank you, Melony, for just being plain awesome for doing what you do, thank you GFNJ for kenneling these pups overnight while having pretty much NO info on them.

Okay, I'll stop boring you and post a few pictures. I still need more photos, but I know the rules.....

mail-1.jpg

Sockem resting his head on DH's shoulder.

mail_2.jpg

Shelby relaxing on the couch.

mail_3.jpg

I'm pretty sure we need a bigger couch......

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Love Love Love this!!! I know how much your hearts are hurting missing Lily. Look at how she is trying to help you heal with Shelby and Sockem. :grouphug Reading your intro gave me the biggest wave of goosebumps. Congratulations, and many happy years together. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What a wonderful story...that pic with Sockem melts my heart and Shelby is adorable. dogs are the best grief counsellors.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Pam,

I have been watching for this post, it was greyt to meet you. :)

Bless you for taking both of these incredible beings and giving them a home and love for the rest of their days.

Shelby was so very very sweet, poor baby, you could tell her ears and skin were bothering her,but she was still sweet and gentle. I am so happy you bumped up her vet appointment. Sockem is a stunner, I love the picture of him with your DH,Sockem is such a love bug.

Wishing you all the joy and happiness with your B'babies. :confetti:confetti

And who says 4 are a lot of dogs? That is just an average number I think. :lol:lol

What a wonderful turn of events! Welcome home Sockem and Shelby! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oh they look so relaxed & at home. wub.gif How wonderful for them! You can tell how bad poor Shelby's ears are. sad.gif I hope she's feeling better very soon. kiss1.gif

But congrats to all of you! confetti.gif I hope you have lots & lots of time together. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

TWO of 'em! That's wonderful. :)

Good for you and your DH.

Great for Sockem and Shelby. Welcome home you TWO.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh my. You didn't say how good-looking they are. Congratulations to the whole family!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How wonderful! You guys are my heroes! I love them both! Shelby is absolutely gorgeous and Sockem is a stunner! Looks like your DH will take great care of them while we're in Chile next year :evil:lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

How wonderful! You guys are my heroes! I love them both! Shelby is absolutely gorgeous and Sockem is a stunner! Looks like your DH will take great care of them while we're in Chile next year :evil:lol

Oh, no, Robin, he has to come with us--it's his famiy we'd be imposing on!

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.