Waking Up At 2:30Am To Eat?

Guest HyperJ83

Ok, I am really frustrated and do not know what to do! Last night Lila was in her crate and Maddy was in the same room with her. She starts crying at 1:30am, 3:00am, 4:00am, and around 5:45am. All times I went out and told her to be quiet and lay down except the last, I fed them breakfast and let her out from there. We've been giving cookies before bed and feeding later. During the last 2 months she got sprayed by a skunk twice because we let her out in the middle of the night. I constantly sleep with earplugs and she still keeps me up. I cannot imagine what it will be like when the baby's here in June! I don't know what else to do! If it doesn't get corrected I'm going to have to give her back, which is not what I want to do.

You are 'rewarding' her every time you go and tell her to be quiet and lay down.

I know it is hard...but PLEASE just do nothing when she cries an whines.

NOTHING.

Do not look at her.

Do not speak.

Try to not even move.

Pretend she is not there.

We have 'been there, done that' and I know how hard it is to do NOTHING.

We have been dealing with a barking hound in the late afternoons. ..he just wants an early supper

After three or four days of totally ignoring him, it has almost dissappeared.

He barks so loud and close to my head that my hair blows from his breath. I just plug my ears and sit very still. Yesterday he only barked 4 or 5 really loud ones, then went and laid down.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HyperJ83

Ok, I am really frustrated and do not know what to do! Last night Lila was in her crate and Maddy was in the same room with her. She starts crying at 1:30am, 3:00am, 4:00am, and around 5:45am. All times I went out and told her to be quiet and lay down except the last, I fed them breakfast and let her out from there. We've been giving cookies before bed and feeding later. During the last 2 months she got sprayed by a skunk twice because we let her out in the middle of the night. I constantly sleep with earplugs and she still keeps me up. I cannot imagine what it will be like when the baby's here in June! I don't know what else to do! If it doesn't get corrected I'm going to have to give her back, which is not what I want to do.

You are 'rewarding' her every time you go and tell her to be quiet and lay down.

I know it is hard...but PLEASE just do nothing when she cries an whines.

NOTHING.

Do not look at her.

Do not speak.

Try to not even move.

Pretend she is not there.

We have 'been there, done that' and I know how hard it is to do NOTHING.

We have been dealing with a barking hound in the late afternoons. ..he just wants an early supper

After three or four days of totally ignoring him, it has almost dissappeared.

He barks so loud and close to my head that my hair blows from his breath. I just plug my ears and sit very still. Yesterday he only barked 4 or 5 really loud ones, then went and laid down.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to completely ignore her. She's been in the crate. I was thinking of baby gating her in the living room with Maddy tonight. See if she cries less? And also ignore her if she does. I'm just worried that she may pee in the living room, even though she wasn't peeing in there (by the back door is her spot). That's why we started crating her, because every night when we ignored her cries she peed. So maybe I should keep her in the crate tonight, but totally ignore her? (She never pees in the crate)

Thanks again. I'm trying everything I can.

If you can't have her in the room with you, then keep her in the crate and ignore. You're basically starting from scratch with her. Can't trust her outside the crate at night? Keep her in the crate. Making noise and whining? Ignore. Just as if she was fresh off the track. Keep her in the same room as the other dog, that may help too.

Guest HyperJ83
1330279000[/url]' post='5176781']

If you can't have her in the room with you, then keep her in the crate and ignore. You're basically starting from scratch with her. Can't trust her outside the crate at night? Keep her in the crate. Making noise and whining? Ignore. Just as if she was fresh off the track. Keep her in the same room as the other dog, that may help too.

Thanks. I ignored her last night completely. She basically cried the entire night starting around 1:45am. When I woke up to feed them I noticed a piece of poop on the outside of the cage, but right next to it. No pee. So she probably pooped and ate it? Except a small piece that fell out of the crate? She goes in the backyard late too, around 11pm. Normal or not?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You said in one post what I think is the problem. You said that you are up throughout the night because you are pregnant, is this correct? You are getting up to go to the bathroom for yourself? If so, THIS is your problem. It would seem that your hound has NO schedule at all. You feed her in the middle of the night, in the morning, you take her out all over place. I am not trying to lay blame, but realize where the problem is coming from. I bet this problem didn't start until after you were pregnant and waking up at strange hours of the night to go to the bathroom. I know my pups used to get excited when I would get up in the middle of the night to pee. I just had to ignore them and after a few weeks they realized that I do not get up in the middle of the night for them.

I would say in your case you need to start house training over again. When they are awake, take them out every 1-2 hours. Make a huge fuss over the elimination outside (treats and such).

Personally if you changed where they sleep, that probably has a bit to do with the issues. Also, why do you feed your two hounds at different times? Seems a bit odd. In my house (3 of my own hounds, 1 foster) our routine is close to this:

1) 6am wake and feed

2) immediately let hounds out to bathroom after eating (takes about 3 minutes)

3) everyone back to bed

4) wife usually works evenings so she gets up at 9-10, I stay up after I feed them to go to work

5) wife lets the foster out before she leaves for work (we have a doggie door, but fosters are crated when we are out)

6) I get home around 5-6pm and feed the hounds when I get home

7) they immediately go outside after I feed them dinner

8) I go to bed around 10, the hounds are let outside one last time

9) 6am starts the next day

Greyhounds are very used to routine and the more you change things up, the more they will get out of whack. Personally I would not allow them much room to move around, and I would keep them in the room with me. If you wake to hear them having an accident, get them out quick and praise when you are outside. Otherwise there is no reason to get up for them in the middle of the night. If you have to go to the bathroom, then simply go and ignore them. No talking, petting, or otherwise acknowledging them.

Chad

I've not read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating something already suggested, but it sounds like this started when the dogs were moved from sleeping in your bedroom, to the spare room.

Seems maybe this change in routine has caused mild anxiety, so she's no longer sleeping well and gets up at night and wants your company and reassurance. The peeing would point to anxiety too.

You could try a plug-in DAP diffuser and see if that helps?

It would be interesting to know if she still got you up if she was back sleeping in your bedroom.

Guest HyperJ83
1330448455[/url]' post='5178438']

You said in one post what I think is the problem. You said that you are up throughout the night because you are pregnant, is this correct? You are getting up to go to the bathroom for yourself? If so, THIS is your problem. It would seem that your hound has NO schedule at all. You feed her in the middle of the night, in the morning, you take her out all over place. I am not trying to lay blame, but realize where the problem is coming from. I bet this problem didn't start until after you were pregnant and waking up at strange hours of the night to go to the bathroom. I know my pups used to get excited when I would get up in the middle of the night to pee. I just had to ignore them and after a few weeks they realized that I do not get up in the middle of the night for them.

I would say in your case you need to start house training over again. When they are awake, take them out every 1-2 hours. Make a huge fuss over the elimination outside (treats and such).

Personally if you changed where they sleep, that probably has a bit to do with the issues. Also, why do you feed your two hounds at different times? Seems a bit odd. In my house (3 of my own hounds, 1 foster) our routine is close to this:

1) 6am wake and feed

3) everyone back to bed

4) wife usually works evenings so she gets up at 9-10, I stay up after I feed them to go to work

5) wife lets the foster out before she leaves for work (we have a doggie door, but fosters are crated when we are out)

Greyhounds are very used to routine and the more you change things up, the more they will get out of whack. Personally I would not allow them much room to move around, and I would keep them in the room with me. If you wake to hear them having an accident, get them out quick and praise when you are outside. Otherwise there is no reason to get up for them in the middle of the night. If you have to go to the bathroom, then simply go and ignore them. No talking, petting, or otherwise acknowledging them.

Chad

Guest HyperJ83
1330448455[/url]' post='5178438']

1) 6am wake and feed

3) everyone back to bed

Chad

Chad, That definitely would be a reason for the dogs to get excited, but I never get up to pee because I know once I do I will have a hard time sleeping and I disturb the dogs. So it's not part of the routine at all.

I think we may be looking at anxiety for Lila. However it started while she was still in our bedroom. She'd get up, shake, pace, and end up peeing by the back door in the middle of the night.We use a very similar schedule to yours. Except I'm up at 6 for work. But we do the same routine and times as you use.

Thanks for the help :)

1330553388[/url]' post='5179733']

I've not read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating something already suggested, but it sounds like this started when the dogs were moved from sleeping in your bedroom, to the spare room.

Seems maybe this change in routine has caused mild anxiety, so she's no longer sleeping well and gets up at night and wants your company and reassurance. The peeing would point to anxiety too.

You could try a plug-in DAP diffuser and see if that helps?

It would be interesting to know if she still got you up if she was back sleeping in your bedroom.

I would like to try the diffuser. Can I get it at the pet store? Maybe this will relax her. She is getting better in the crate though. So maybe she's getting used to it. Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by HyperJ83

Guest HyperJ83

So two nights ago my husband accidentally fell asleep on the couch. That night there was no crying from Lila in the crate. Last night he was not in the living room with Lola in the crate and she cried the entire night again. Obviously she wants to be in the room with someone other than Maddy (other grey). But I'm afraid to take her out of the crate because she may pee. NOW what to do?Thanks in advance for all your help, I do appreciate it!!

Guest verthib

So two nights ago my husband accidentally fell asleep on the couch. That night there was no crying from Lila in the crate. Last night he was not in the living room with Lola in the crate and she cried the entire night again. Obviously she wants to be in the room with someone other than Maddy (other grey). But I'm afraid to take her out of the crate because she may pee. NOW what to do?Thanks in advance for all your help, I do appreciate it!!

First, is she crated all night, and then again during the day while you guys work? It may be too much crating honestly. The other thing is that going in to tell her to be quiet when she really wants to be with people really just tells her if she cries someone is going to come see her. Lastly, can you find any place AT ALL for her in your bedroom? We had to do some arranging and our bedroom doesn't look like I want it to but they want to be with us. We're gone all day and they miss us. Dogs are social animals. If there's anyway to put her in your room I really think that would help. I'm a light sleeper too and I'd do anything to get my two to stop crying.

Good luck.

Guest HyperJ83
1330779905[/url]' post='5181636']
1330774908[/url]' post='5181602']

First, is she crated all night, and then again during the day while you guys work? It may be too much crating honestly. The other thing is that going in to tell her to be quiet when she really wants to be with people really just tells her if she cries someone is going to come see her. Lastly, can you find any place AT ALL for her in your bedroom? We had to do some arranging and our bedroom doesn't look like I want it to but they want to be with us. We're gone all day and they miss us. Dogs are social animals. If there's anyway to put her in your room I really think that would help. I'm a light sleeper too and I'd do anything to get my two to stop crying.

Good luck.

Thanks. No we don't crate during the day. We only crate at night and it's usually from 11 or 12 till 6am. We do not go out anymore and tell her to be quiet. I cannot fit the crate in our bedroom. It's way too small. I tried that already because I know it would help. I will eventually try having her baby gated in our bedroom and see how she does. But for now I want to stick with the crate to re-train her. I just bought a diffuser with the calming dog pheromone. So well see how that works tonight! Thanks for your help am I'll keep everyone updated!!