Waking Up At 2:30Am To Eat?

Guest HyperJ83

Guest HyperJ83

How old is your grey?

I have seniors and they do sometimes need to go out at 2am- you just go with it.

My Lou in the past would wake me up whining and wanting to eat-I soon figured out that the food he was on was not holding him. I have since changed to Costco brand food and there has not been a problem. I do give them a 7:00pm hand ful of food and then out to potty

Hope you can work out the problem.

Lila is 7. My greys are on Costco brand as well. They do enjoy it! Ok, so I will feel Lila less in the morning, and more at night, feed her later so hopefully it will hold her over. Let her out a lot before bed. If it was a "sometimes at 2am" thing, I'd go with it, but we've been dealing with this for a few weeks now, so I think it's becoming habit. I will ignore her tomorrow morning, but if she pees on the rug again, I can't ignore her and I'll have to figure something else out :(

See like this morning. Lila started crying at 3:48am. So I get up and let her out. I watched her pee. Then at 5:30am, she's crying again. This is where the food comes in. I KNOW she doesn't have to go because when I let her out this time she just stands on the deck and I have to tell her to go. I fed them at 5:30am and know she will be totally silent and happy until whenever I decide to get up now. Food is definitely part of this issue. It's so annoying. I can't stand being waken up twice.. Before its even light out.

I'm not sure how food got pulled into this issue! If she's urinating in the middle of the night, I fail to see the connection between that and eating. My dog needs to pee AFTER he eats, not when he's hungry.

She probably holds it during the day because she's sleeping--is it possible something is preventing her from sleeping at night? Does she some exercise above and beyond trips outside?

I'm glad to hear you had her checked for a UTI!

Does she sleep in your bedroom with you? Are there other pets in the house?

If something is going on outside that she hears, it could wake her up. Simply being up and awake after a few hours of sleep is enough to make her need to tinkle. So MAYBE if you can figure out why she can't sleep you can stop this issue?

Until then, you might try putting some pee pads on the floor. At least you won't have to clean up piddle if she manages to go on them.

We walk them regularly, so they do get exercise. She does go out during the day a lot, I just meant that she's not crying to go out. She used to sleep in the bedroom but both dogs sleep in the next room because I'm pregnant and always tripped over the bed at night (small bedroom). So now both greys sleep together in the next room. I don't think something's waking her up outside. She's inconsistent with her waking hours. She's got warm pjs and usually has no problem sleeping.

The food got brought into it because even when I let her out at night (2-4am), if she doesn't eat when she gets up, she pees. If I feed her when she gets up, say 4am she wont pee. I always let them out after they eat. Feeding her later is pushing her waking time back though. So we're experimenting with food amounts and feeding times to hold her over through the night.

How old is your grey?

I have seniors and they do sometimes need to go out at 2am- you just go with it.

My Lou in the past would wake me up whining and wanting to eat-I soon figured out that the food he was on was not holding him. I have since changed to Costco brand food and there has not been a problem. I do give them a 7:00pm hand ful of food and then out to potty

Lila is 7. My greys are on Costco brand as well. They do enjoy it! Ok, so I will feel Lila less in the morning, and more at night, feed her later so hopefully it will hold her over. Let her out a lot before bed. If it was a "sometimes at 2am" thing, I'd go with it, but we've been dealing with this for a few weeks now, so I think it's becoming habit. I will ignore her tomorrow morning, but if she pees on the rug again, I can't ignore her and I'll have to figure something else out :(

See like this morning. Lila started crying at 3:48am. So I get up and let her out. I watched her pee. Then at 5:30am, she's crying again. This is where the food comes in. I KNOW she doesn't have to go because when I let her out this time she just stands on the deck and I have to tell her to go. I fed them at 5:30am and know she will be totally silent and happy until whenever I decide to get up now. Food is definitely part of this issue. It's so annoying. I can't stand being waken up twice.. Before its even light out.

I'm not sure how food got pulled into this issue! If she's urinating in the middle of the night, I fail to see the connection between that and eating. My dog needs to pee AFTER he eats, not when he's hungry.

She probably holds it during the day because she's sleeping--is it possible something is preventing her from sleeping at night? Does she some exercise above and beyond trips outside?

If something is going on outside that she hears, it could wake her up. Simply being up and awake after a few hours of sleep is enough to make her need to tinkle. So MAYBE if you can figure out why she can't sleep you can stop this issue?

Until then, you might try putting some pee pads on the floor. At least you won't have to clean up piddle if she manages to go on them.

We walk them regularly, so they do get exercise. She does go out during the day a lot, I just meant that she's not crying to go out. She used to sleep in the bedroom but both dogs sleep in the next room because I'm pregnant and always tripped over the bed at night (small bedroom). So now both greys sleep together in the next room. I don't think something's waking her up outside. She's inconsistent with her waking hours. She's got warm pjs and usually has no problem sleeping.

The food got brought into it because even when I let her out at night (2-4am), if she doesn't eat when she gets up, she pees. If I feed her when she gets up, say 4am she wont pee. I always let them out after they eat. Feeding her later is pushing her waking time back though. So we're experimenting with food amounts and feeding times to hold her over through the night.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandTan

How old is your grey?

How old is your grey?

Exacly the same with Diago..

OK,it sounding to me that in her head, its feeding/peeing time early in AM.

During the day do you let her out and when she comes in she gets a reward like a cookie? My Plummer will pace if I forget to give her her cookie after she pees in yard.

Could it be your pupper is waiting for some kind of ritual that is missing early AM.

These guys are so ritual orientated that it could upset them.

She does have to pee when she whines so I would not ignore or she will think it is perfectly acceptable to pee/poop in house.

Afterthought, maybe she is just prepping you for the early AM feedings when the baby arrives :lol

Hope we can meet - Joan, Forked River

You have trained her to be fed at this early hour.

At 5:30, once it has been verified that she does not have to pee, I would NOT feed her.

Tell her to go lay back down.

Babygate her into her room.

She must learn that 'go lie down' means exactly this....no matter what time of day/night it is.

Do not give in to her AT ALL !

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest HyperJ83

OK,it sounding to me that in her head, its feeding/peeing time early in AM.

During the day do you let her out and when she comes in she gets a reward like a cookie? My Plummer will pace if I forget to give her her cookie after she pees in yard.

Could it be your pupper is waiting for some kind of ritual that is missing early AM.

These guys are so ritual orientated that it could upset them.

She does have to pee when she whines so I would not ignore or she will think it is perfectly acceptable to pee/poop in house.

Afterthought, maybe she is just prepping you for the early AM feedings when the baby arrives :lol

Hope we can meet - Joan, Forked River

Haha she is definitely prepping me for baby! Well I don't give them treats for going potty outside, just a lot of praise. Maybe I should start giving treats every time we let them in the yard?

Oh we're so close! Yes we should meet sometime!

Guest HyperJ83

BatterseaBrindl, I totally agree with you. Only thing is, when I do not feed her when she cries the second time, she will pee! I know it's said they don't pee out of spite, but she could've just went out at 4am, and will pee in the house sometime between then and 6am if not fed.

How old is your grey?

How old is your grey?

Then I wake up myself at 8:30am and call to let them out, she would've kept sleeping.

I appreciate all of these comments and help!

So the problem is, waking up too early to pee, but I don't see a solution without finding pee on the floor. If I ignore her the first and second time she whines, that's what I'll get either way.

BlackAndTan - if I were you I'd get earplugs! I use them with Lila sometimes, but since mine pees I usually have to get up. If Diego isn't peeing, you have nothing to worry about! It's horrible to deal with :(

Guest DorasMom

I had one that used to pee every night, without fail. This was after being let out at midnight and with me getting up at 6am for work.

I started putting him in his crate at night in my room and the peeing just stopped like that.

Guest HyperJ83
1328364092[/url]' post='5155802']

I had one that used to pee every night, without fail. This was after being let out at midnight and with me getting up at 6am for work.

I started putting him in his crate at night in my room and the peeing just stopped like that.

Same exact thing with Lila! Did you have to use the crate forever? I can't fit our crate in our bedroom though.

Guest DorasMom

No, I used it for a couple of months and then tried letting him out and all was good. It was almost like to he needed to be retrained about night time potty issues.

Crating is what I would try at this point. She should learn to hold it. I wouldn't consider her housebroken yet. She may be close but still needs some help. I would treat her like a puppy or brand new dog at night. When she can make it through the night in the crate then it might be time to try giving her a bit more room at night but not the run of the house.

So you have the dogs sleeping in another room right now. Can you set up a crate in there? Also may want to set up a baby gate to keep other hound in the room with her so she won't end up lonely.

Just some ideas. You will find a solution sooner or later. Am hoping sooner! Good luck.

Guest HyperJ83
1328464866[/url]' post='5156739']

Crating is what I would try at this point. She should learn to hold it. I wouldn't consider her housebroken yet. She may be close but still needs some help. I would treat her like a puppy or brand new dog at night. When she can make it through the night in the crate then it might be time to try giving her a bit more room at night but not the run of the house.

So you have the dogs sleeping in another room right now. Can you set up a crate in there? Also may want to set up a baby gate to keep other hound in the room with her so she won't end up lonely.

Just some ideas. You will find a solution sooner or later. Am hoping sooner! Good luck.

Thank you! I will try the crate!

Years ago when Kasey was a single here, he wasnt a big eater and would leave some kibble always in his bowl. In the middle of the night he would go out there to finish it off.

I've also had trouble with Ryder vomiting bile in the early morning which basically came down to him being hungry.

These two stories relate a bit because I feel they need a really good snack before bedtime to tide them over to morning. We did get meds to help break this cycle and it was a godsend.Not only did it stop him vomitting but it calmed him down and he slept through the night.

I'm not sure what is happening with the pee and poop situation you have though. She is thoroughly empty before bed? How late is bedtime? We went through a phase with Kasey where he would want to go out early morning and when we took him out he did nothing but wander in the dark. The last straw was when hubby slipped on the deck in the middle of the night going out to get him because he wouldn't come in and was eating poop. We ignored his desire to go out at 230am and in a week he settled and slept through the night.

Edit: Typing on a tablet I seem to have missed a whole page of discussion......yes crating is a great suggestion....i had no idea your grey was still new. That changes things in my statement above. Good luck.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HyperJ83

That's a good idea. Well we crate her now at night but she still starts crying around 4am and she will continue until someone gets up. This morning I told her to "lay down" firmly and she was quiet. Not sure if I should do that or ignore her.

Guest DragonflyDM

One of my two greys, Lila has been waking up early in the morning lately. We got her in July and she never displayed this behavior. She started waking up at 5:30am which is totally normal. However, it's been getting earlier and earlier. Last night she woke up at 2:30 am crying. We let her out and you think she'd be good? No, shes crying 30 mins later. So we feed the animals. And after she eats she's fine. I don't think it's normal to feed them at 2:30am! Also, the night before she is let out at 11:30pm... And she lays all day and never rushes to go to the bathroom. The issue is how early she's crying! We are having a baby in June and I'm wondering how that's going to work out. I don't know how to make her stop! I've fed them later (usual is 5:30pm), I pull their water at 7pm. I tried ignoring her in the morning and she pees in the house!

Also, if I ONLY let her out without feeding her, she usually pees, spite?

Any help would be great, she's a really sweat dog except for mornings!

Thanks,

Jen

Is it possible that she is just scared. As she adjusts and changes her environment (and how she adjusts to her new environment, which can take many many months) she has developed an irrational fear or anxiety? Lots of dogs (not just greys) get up late at night when they first come to a new home-- it is scarey. Imagine when you were a kid and slept at a rarely visited relatives house? Waking up can be disorienting. Peeing could be a stress reaction. Eating could be a comforting maneuver.

During the day she is fine and all makes sense in the world. But at night, in the dark, by herself (and we all often feel alone in the dark)-- it can be scary place.

Just a suggestion-- take the dog for a long walk before bed. Spend 10-30 minutes petting and playing with the dog so that these are the memories they associate with most before sleep. When they wake up, don’t be a concerned mother hen with worry in your voice-- be the alpha (strong and reassuring). Spend a moment to reassure your grey and then ask him to go back to bed. If they don’t sleep in bed with you…then go sleep on the floor with him.

IF (and I am just guessing here) I am right and your Grey doesn’t have a medical condition-- you just need to do build in a new reaction and world view for your four-legged friend when they wake up in the middle of the night.

What about keeping a frozen stuffed kong on hand to occupy her when she wakes and has gone out to potty ?

She sounds lonely and is anxious to begin the day and have you in the same room.

Do you leave a radio on for her and Maddy... night is much quieter than the hum and activity/routine of day time... maybe too quiet for her.

Glad there's some improvement with the crate. Keep that up, and I would definitely give her a cookie before bed. It's part of our nightly routine - feeding around 7pm and a cookie right after she pees at night before we go up to bed. Everyone - humans and dog - sleeps better with a little something in their stomache.

Guest HyperJ83
1330114774[/url]' post='5175463']

Glad there's some improvement with the crate. Keep that up, and I would definitely give her a cookie before bed. It's part of our nightly routine - feeding around 7pm and a cookie right after she pees at night before we go up to bed. Everyone - humans and dog - sleeps better with a little something in their stomache.

I'm going to try the cookie tonight! Thanks

1330105816[/url]' post='5175339']

What about keeping a frozen stuffed kong on hand to occupy her when she wakes and has gone out to potty ?

She sounds lonely and is anxious to begin the day and have you in the same room.

Do you leave a radio on for her and Maddy... night is much quieter than the hum and activity/routine of day time... maybe too quiet for her.

I was giving her a kong when we put her in the crate. I want to avoid letting her out in the middle of the night for a few reasons. One is we have skunks and she got sprayed twice in 2 months from going out in the middle of the night. Also, I'm a very light sleeper and if I get up I won't go back to bed and I have to sleep because I'm pregnant and wake up at 6am as it is. I want to break her habit of crying at night. She does it in or out of the crate. Only difference is.. In the crate she's not peeing. Which is great! So we're trying to see what we could do to relax her at night.

1330096780[/url]' post='5175189']

I didn't read through all the entries and I do apologize if this has already been covered but, are you going outside with her to make sure that she goes pee or is she just being let out by herself.

Yes, we go out to make sure both dogs go. I can see how that's important.

1330083710[/url]' post='5175041']
1328149348[/url]' post='5153834']

One of my two greys, Lila has been waking up early in the morning lately. We got her in July and she never displayed this behavior. She started waking up at 5:30am which is totally normal. However, it's been getting earlier and earlier. Last night she woke up at 2:30 am crying. We let her out and you think she'd be good? No, shes crying 30 mins later. So we feed the animals. And after she eats she's fine. I don't think it's normal to feed them at 2:30am! Also, the night before she is let out at 11:30pm... And she lays all day and never rushes to go to the bathroom. The issue is how early she's crying! We are having a baby in June and I'm wondering how that's going to work out. I don't know how to make her stop! I've fed them later (usual is 5:30pm), I pull their water at 7pm. I tried ignoring her in the morning and she pees in the house!

Also, if I ONLY let her out without feeding her, she usually pees, spite?

Any help would be great, she's a really sweat dog except for mornings!

Thanks,

Jen

Is it possible that she is just scared. As she adjusts and changes her environment (and how she adjusts to her new environment, which can take many many months) she has developed an irrational fear or anxiety? Lots of dogs (not just greys) get up late at night when they first come to a new home-- it is scarey. Imagine when you were a kid and slept at a rarely visited relatives house? Waking up can be disorienting. Peeing could be a stress reaction. Eating could be a comforting maneuver.

During the day she is fine and all makes sense in the world. But at night, in the dark, by herself (and we all often feel alone in the dark)-- it can be scary place.

Just a suggestion-- take the dog for a long walk before bed. Spend 10-30 minutes petting and playing with the dog so that these are the memories they associate with most before sleep. When they wake up, don't be a concerned mother hen with worry in your voice-- be the alpha (strong and reassuring). Spend a moment to reassure your grey and then ask him to go back to bed. If they don't sleep in bed with you…then go sleep on the floor with him.

IF (and I am just guessing here) I am right and your Grey doesn't have a medical condition-- you just need to do build in a new reaction and world view for your four-legged friend when they wake up in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the help. I don't think she's scared, not sure though. She started this a few months ago so it wasn't always this way. She sleeps with our other grey Maddy too. I'll try and be reassuring if she cries at night. Maybe that will soothe her. Well see how it goes!

Guest HyperJ83

Ok, I am really frustrated and do not know what to do! Last night Lila was in her crate and Maddy was in the same room with her. She starts crying at 1:30am, 3:00am, 4:00am, and around 5:45am. All times I went out and told her to be quiet and lay down except the last, I fed them breakfast and let her out from there. We've been giving cookies before bed and feeding later. During the last 2 months she got sprayed by a skunk twice because we let her out in the middle of the night. I constantly sleep with earplugs and she still keeps me up. I cannot imagine what it will be like when the baby's here in June! I don't know what else to do! If it doesn't get corrected I'm going to have to give her back, which is not what I want to do.