Waking Up At 2:30Am To Eat?

Guest HyperJ83

Guest HyperJ83

One of my two greys, Lila has been waking up early in the morning lately. We got her in July and she never displayed this behavior. She started waking up at 5:30am which is totally normal. However, it's been getting earlier and earlier. Last night she woke up at 2:30 am crying. We let her out and you think she'd be good? No, shes crying 30 mins later. So we feed the animals. And after she eats she's fine. I don't think it's normal to feed them at 2:30am! Also, the night before she is let out at 11:30pm... And she lays all day and never rushes to go to the bathroom. The issue is how early she's crying! We are having a baby in June and I'm wondering how that's going to work out. I don't know how to make her stop! I've fed them later (usual is 5:30pm), I pull their water at 7pm. I tried ignoring her in the morning and she pees in the house!

Also, if I ONLY let her out without feeding her, she usually pees, spite?

Any help would be great, she's a really sweat dog except for mornings!

Thanks,

Jen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having this problem with a foster of mine. I now feed dinner at bedtime, then walk the dogs then go to bed. It solved the problem immediately for us. I would try feeding Lila at 9 or 10pm then let her out as close to bed as possible. Also, try keeping meals about 12 hours apart. That way she won't get as hungry.

Guest HyperJ83

I was having this problem with a foster of mine. I now feed dinner at bedtime, then walk the dogs then go to bed. It solved the problem immediately for us. I would try feeding Lila at 9 or 10pm then let her out as close to bed as possible. Also, try keeping meals about 12 hours apart. That way she won't get as hungry.

Thanks. We did try feeding them later, around 7-8pm but saw no improvement. I will definitely push it back. Right now they eat around 5:30-6pm, should I push it to 9right away or gradually? And do you think she's waking up to eat? It seems that way to me because all day she can go without the bathroom (7-8 hours) and then at night she goes out at 11pm and is up to go at 2:30am? It just doesn't make sense.

Guest verthib

One of my two greys, Lila has been waking up early in the morning lately. We got her in July and she never displayed this behavior. She started waking up at 5:30am which is totally normal. However, it's been getting earlier and earlier. Last night she woke up at 2:30 am crying. We let her out and you think she'd be good? No, shes crying 30 mins later. So we feed the animals. And after she eats she's fine. I don't think it's normal to feed them at 2:30am! Also, the night before she is let out at 11:30pm... And she lays all day and never rushes to go to the bathroom. The issue is how early she's crying! We are having a baby in June and I'm wondering how that's going to work out. I don't know how to make her stop! I've fed them later (usual is 5:30pm), I pull their water at 7pm. I tried ignoring her in the morning and she pees in the house!

Thanks,

Jen

I second the feeding later thing. I'm not sure I'd pull the water at 7 if you go to bed at 11:30. Maybe pull it at 9:00.

Guest HyperJ83

Thanks,

Jen

I second the feeding later thing. I'm not sure I'd pull the water at 7 if you go to bed at 11:30. Maybe pull it at 9:00.

I go to bed at 10, but my husband goes later. So we can pull it later if we feed them later. Makes sense. So should we ignore her in the morning? Even if she pees? I have my alarm set for 6:15 during the weekdays, and she should have no problem holding it from 11:30pm till then, but she goes anyway! (not this week tho because we've been letting her out and feeding her when she whines, prob a bad habit/idea.

Guest HyperJ83

Thanks,

Jen

I go to bed at 10, but my husband goes later. So we can pull it later if we feed them later. Makes sense. So should we ignore her in the morning? Even if she pees? I have my alarm set for 6:15 during the weekdays, and she should have no problem holding it from 11:30pm till then, but she goes anyway! (not this week tho because we've been letting her out and feeding her when she whines, prob a bad habit/idea.

Ok, so I decided to ignore her last night. She started whining at 3am. I woke up at 6am and found pee on the floor. I really don't understand and am totally frustrated and don't know what to do!

I feed dogs when I get home from work, which varies from 7-9 PM. If I've fed earlier the dogs get a snack at bedtime. If I had one that started waking me up early & I was relatively confident a potty trip wasn't needed I would start ignoring the dog. If the dog quits getting rewarded for waking us up early then the behavior will almost certainly disappear. Though you may feel like it will take forever, if you persevere the ultimate reward is getting uninterrupted sleep until your alarm clock, rather than the Greyhound, wakes you.

Ok, so I decided to ignore her last night. She started whining at 3am. I woke up at 6am and found pee on the floor. I really don't understand and am totally frustrated and don't know what to do!

She may have really needed to go potty OR she may have gotten herself so excited, in anticipation or frustration, that she basically made herself need to go potty. You are just going to have to experiment some.

I don't see a single word about "we had her checked out at the vet for a UTI."

That's what I'd do if my dog could no longer hold it.

After you find out she's perfectly healthy, you need to pick a schedule that works FOR YOU and stick with it.

She does not need to eat just because she wants to eat.

I'd be concerned that she isn't 100% herself first, and once you eliminate that as an issue, work on getting her back on a schedule.

And dogs don't pee out of spite.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

After you find out she's perfectly healthy, you need to pick a schedule that works FOR YOU and stick with it.

I'd be concerned that she isn't 100% herself first, and once you eliminate that as an issue, work on getting her back on a schedule.

:nod Everything you said :nod

Guest HyperJ83

We've had her checked for a UTI and it was negative. I really do not think she is peeing because she cannot hold it. She goes from 7:30am until 4pm without peeing in the house. The problem is at night, she goes out at 11pm and has to pee at 2:30am again? It doesn't make sense. I know she does not need to eat at 2:30am. When she does eat at 2:30 am, she does not pee. I can ignore her without a problem, but cleaning up the pee every morning is not fun, of course.

I feed dogs when I get home from work, which varies from 7-9 PM. If I've fed earlier the dogs get a snack at bedtime. If I had one that started waking me up early & I was relatively confident a potty trip wasn't needed I would start ignoring the dog. If the dog quits getting rewarded for waking us up early then the behavior will almost certainly disappear. Though you may feel like it will take forever, if you persevere the ultimate reward is getting uninterrupted sleep until your alarm clock, rather than the Greyhound, wakes you.

She may have really needed to go potty OR she may have gotten herself so excited, in anticipation or frustration, that she basically made herself need to go potty. You are just going to have to experiment some.

Thanks for the advice. So you suggest I ignore her even if she pees on the floor until she stops?

Is your house cooler at night? Maybe she's chilly and it's harder for her to hold it? Just throwing that out there.

My former foster is here for a long weekend. She gets her mom up at 2am every morning to go out. She got me up at midnight last night. It's her routine which I'm not thrilled about but it's just for a few days for me. Her mom allows it.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest verthib

We've had her checked for a UTI and it was negative. I really do not think she is peeing because she cannot hold it. She goes from 7:30am until 4pm without peeing in the house. The problem is at night, she goes out at 11pm and has to pee at 2:30am again? It doesn't make sense. I know she does not need to eat at 2:30am. When she does eat at 2:30 am, she does not pee. I can ignore her without a problem, but cleaning up the pee every morning is not fun, of course.

Thanks for the advice. So you suggest I ignore her even if she pees on the floor until she stops?

Again, my suggestion would be more potty breaks. Is she getting a potty break around 8:00 pm? That would put it between the 4:30 pm and 11:00 pm breaks. Just a thought.

Another thought, could you make her dinner a little bigger than her breakfast? Maybe that'll help hold over the hunger part of this.

Guest HyperJ83

Is your house cooler at night? Maybe she's chilly and it's harder for her to hold it? Just throwing that out there.

My former foster is here for a long weekend. She gets her mom up at 2am every morning to go out. She got me up at midnight last night. It's her routine which I'm not thrilled about but it's just for a few days for me. Her mom allows it.

I saw that on other posts and wish it were that easy :( she has Jammie's and snuggles up with a blanket.

Again, my suggestion would be more potty breaks. Is she getting a potty break around 8:00 pm? That would put it between the 4:30 pm and 11:00 pm breaks. Just a thought.

Another thought, could you make her dinner a little bigger than her breakfast? Maybe that'll help hold over the hunger part of this.

Thanks I will try that. She goes out all the time at night, even if she doesn't want to we send them out to make sure their bladders are empty. I will try feeding her more at night then. Maybe that will hold her over!

Guest verthib

I saw that on other posts and wish it were that easy :( she has Jammie's and snuggles up with a blanket.

Thanks I will try that. She goes out all the time at night, even if she doesn't want to we send them out to make sure their bladders are empty. I will try feeding her more at night then. Maybe that will hold her over!

Good luck. I will add you to my prayers for BlackAndTan.... That you BOTH start getting some sleep!! :)

How old is your grey?

I have seniors and they do sometimes need to go out at 2am- you just go with it.

My Lou in the past would wake me up whining and wanting to eat-I soon figured out that the food he was on was not holding him. I have since changed to Costco brand food and there has not been a problem. I do give them a 7:00pm hand ful of food and then out to potty

Hope you can work out the problem.

Guest HyperJ83

How old is your grey?

I have seniors and they do sometimes need to go out at 2am- you just go with it.

My Lou in the past would wake me up whining and wanting to eat-I soon figured out that the food he was on was not holding him. I have since changed to Costco brand food and there has not been a problem. I do give them a 7:00pm hand ful of food and then out to potty

Lila is 7. My greys are on Costco brand as well. They do enjoy it! Ok, so I will feel Lila less in the morning, and more at night, feed her later so hopefully it will hold her over. Let her out a lot before bed. If it was a "sometimes at 2am" thing, I'd go with it, but we've been dealing with this for a few weeks now, so I think it's becoming habit. I will ignore her tomorrow morning, but if she pees on the rug again, I can't ignore her and I'll have to figure something else out :(

Guest verthib

How old is your grey?

Lila is 7. My greys are on Costco brand as well. They do enjoy it! Ok, so I will feel Lila less in the morning, and more at night, feed her later so hopefully it will hold her over. Let her out a lot before bed. If it was a "sometimes at 2am" thing, I'd go with it, but we've been dealing with this for a few weeks now, so I think it's becoming habit. I will ignore her tomorrow morning, but if she pees on the rug again, I can't ignore her and I'll have to figure something else out :(

Can you put a puppy pee pad down so she's not peeing directly on the rug? Are you cleaning her per with an enzymatic cleaner? Maybe she smells it and thinks its ok to go there? Again, just trying to come up with ideas!!

Guest HyperJ83

How old is your grey?

Can you put a puppy pee pad down so she's not peeing directly on the rug? Are you cleaning her per with an enzymatic cleaner? Maybe she smells it and thinks its ok to go there? Again, just trying to come up with ideas!!

That is a good idea. I never tried the puppy pee pad. I use Natures Miracle and regular rug cleaner after that.

UPDATE: I fed Lila at 8pm yesterday and let her out a lot after that. (fed her more too) I was happy when this morning she woke up at 4:50am! Improvement. So I immediately let her outside. She peed. When my alarm went off at 6:05 I woke up and found POOP in the room that she usually pees in! So no pee... but poop. More confused. haha

Guest verthib

How old is your grey?

That is a good idea. I never tried the puppy pee pad. I use Natures Miracle and regular rug cleaner after that.

UPDATE: I fed Lila at 8pm yesterday and let her out a lot after that. (fed her more too) I was happy when this morning she woke up at 4:50am! Improvement. So I immediately let her outside. She peed. When my alarm went off at 6:05 I woke up and found POOP in the room that she usually pees in! So no pee... but poop. More confused. haha

When you let her out at 4:50 did she have enough time outside to poop? Also is she gated in your bedroom at night with you? You are making progress I think. lol

Guest HyperJ83

How old is your grey?

When you let her out at 4:50 did she have enough time outside to poop? Also is she gated in your bedroom at night with you? You are making progress I think. lol

I never rush them outside, so she should have had enough time. But maybe she was thinking she was going to eat right after she peed and came rushing to the door? I did not feed them until my alarm went off at 6:05am. She doesn't sleep in our bedroom, but sleeps in the next room. However, I put my earplugs in after I let them out at 4:50 because I KNOW she will whine to eat after that. So she was probably whining, as usual. I used to have her in the bedroom, but our bedroom is so small and I'm pregnant and up so many times, I always trip on her/bed and am worried I will fall.

Guest verthib

How old is your grey?

I never rush them outside, so she should have had enough time. But maybe she was thinking she was going to eat right after she peed and came rushing to the door? I did not feed them until my alarm went off at 6:05am. She doesn't sleep in our bedroom, but sleeps in the next room. However, I put my earplugs in after I let them out at 4:50 because I KNOW she will whine to eat after that. So she was probably whining, as usual. I used to have her in the bedroom, but our bedroom is so small and I'm pregnant and up so many times, I always trip on her/bed and am worried I will fall.

I don't blame you, you have to stay safe! I will have to try the ear plug trick too!!! I am sorry if I have forgotten, but do you have another dog? And if yes, are they in the same room? She's probably lonely? You must have the patience of a saint!!! :)

How old is your grey?

I'm not sure how food got pulled into this issue! If she's urinating in the middle of the night, I fail to see the connection between that and eating. My dog needs to pee AFTER he eats, not when he's hungry.

She probably holds it during the day because she's sleeping--is it possible something is preventing her from sleeping at night? Does she some exercise above and beyond trips outside?

I'm glad to hear you had her checked for a UTI!

Does she sleep in your bedroom with you? Are there other pets in the house?

If something is going on outside that she hears, it could wake her up. Simply being up and awake after a few hours of sleep is enough to make her need to tinkle. So MAYBE if you can figure out why she can't sleep you can stop this issue?

Until then, you might try putting some pee pads on the floor. At least you won't have to clean up piddle if she manages to go on them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest HyperJ83

How old is your grey?

I'm not sure how food got pulled into this issue! If she's urinating in the middle of the night, I fail to see the connection between that and eating. My dog needs to pee AFTER he eats, not when he's hungry.

She probably holds it during the day because she's sleeping--is it possible something is preventing her from sleeping at night? Does she some exercise above and beyond trips outside?

I'm glad to hear you had her checked for a UTI!

Does she sleep in your bedroom with you? Are there other pets in the house?

If something is going on outside that she hears, it could wake her up. Simply being up and awake after a few hours of sleep is enough to make her need to tinkle. So MAYBE if you can figure out why she can't sleep you can stop this issue?

Until then, you might try putting some pee pads on the floor. At least you won't have to clean up piddle if she manages to go on them.

We walk them regularly, so they do get exercise. She does go out during the day a lot, I just meant that she's not crying to go out. She used to sleep in the bedroom but both dogs sleep in the next room because I'm pregnant and always tripped over the bed at night (small bedroom). So now both greys sleep together in the next room. I don't think something's waking her up outside. She's inconsistent with her waking hours. She's got warm pjs and usually has no problem sleeping.

The food got brought into it because even when I let her out at night (2-4am), if she doesn't eat when she gets up, she pees. If I feed her when she gets up, say 4am she wont pee. I always let them out after they eat. Feeding her later is pushing her waking time back though. So we're experimenting with food amounts and feeding times to hold her over through the night.