Bad Girl Panties?

Eden will be 11 this month and the last few months she's been having accidents once or twice a week while I'm at work. We have the same routine in the mornings and they get about 20 minutes outside before I head out to work. I'm getting tired cleaning up so often... so will bad girl undies work for a full bladder or are they more just for leaks?

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Loca had a pair but I only put them on her for very short periods of time, such as when we were visiting friends. I would think that would be very uncomfortable for Eden.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'd put pee pads in front of the door before I'd put her in panties; they could get uncomfortable if she's in them long. I'm sorry she's having this problem. I know cleaning up accidents frequently is very unpleasant. Can you confine her to somewhere easy to clean, like the kitchen or a large bathroom (with comfy beds, of course!)?

Edited by Riverhound

i used bad girl panties on a foster once. It held a full bladder release...

she only needed it that one time ~ and she was trained.

i wouldn't want to leave my girl in one everyday,,, however I do think it is comfortable enough to do so.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Having way more experience with this issue than I ever wanted, I would say that with a Serenity pad in them, yes, they would hold a full piddle, and the pad remains dry to the touch, so she would not be "stewing" in urine (which seems to be what some people believe happens).

I now use human incontinence pads on the floor because George and I have finally stumbled upon the right combination of drugs so that he can hold it all day--

I was lucky in that he ALWAYS went right next to my sliding glass door (making and effort to get outside, I think), so I leave the pads there. The last accident he had was right on the pads, and I was SO happy!

They're washable too, so it works out really well.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I tried the washable diapers you get in the pet store with the disposable pads you attach to the inside. They didn't work for us. Granted, Neyla was we think having kidney issues so when she went it was a lot of urine and she was usually sleeping when it happened (which meant it ran to the side rather than into the pad I think) so they might be worth trying to for you.

If she's having the accidents in the same general area each time, I would second the suggestion of incontinence pads. You can get large washable ones on ebay for a decent price that I find work better than the disposable ones (and are better for the environment). I would just save them up until I had a full load.

If that doesn't work, then you might consider trying Tinkle Trousers. They were recommended to me at the time but we never tried them. However, Neyla's oncologist had an older incontinent female at the time and she swore by them. Unlike diapers, they don't restrict your dog at all so they're apparently more comfortable and don't leak. She said they were a lifesaver.

Otherwise, what I ended up doing was using regular diapers. I would cut a whole out for her tail and then tape aroudn the edges so the little absorption beads wouldn't fall out. Then I'd put the washable diaper cover from the pet store over top to make sure they stayed in place. Total PITA though so not what I would recommend as a first choice. :)

I say this all assuming you've ruled out a medical issue that can be treated. There are lots of things that could be causing this from a UTI to kidney disease to incontinence that could potentially be treated.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I was also kind of wondering about her being stuck in them all day.

They have their own room during the day and unless they are in the tiny, freezing laundry room or possibly one section of the kitchen there is nowhere else to put them (the mutt doesn't like being alone). The wood floors in their room I'm sure are ruined from her pottying so I was thinking of something to put on top of the floor. The problem is that she always goes in front of the closet door so I can't put anything thick down or the door won't open... I was thinking maybe I could put a piece of linoleum or something with barriers at the edges so the pee didn't travel.

Anyone ever try a potty patch?

ETA - not such great reviews :/

Edited by Opals_mom

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Try vinyl tarps (see Walmart's sporting goods department--an 8'x10' tarp is less than $8). The tarp will lie flat on the floor and won't interfere with the closet door. If you don't need the full size, cut the tarp in half (or even quarters). Then you can put whatever incontinence pads you find on top of the tarp. The tarp will catch anything that misses the pads. You possibly could roll the edges of the tarp a bit and staple in a few places to get the tarp to catch any pee that's running to the edge, but the incontinence pads, which aren't super thick, should catch most of the urine. (You can experiment with where you need to put staples--in case you have a floor that isn't level--by pouring water on the tarp when it's in position.) A peed-on tarp can be rinsed in the shower and hung someplace to drip dry, and you can put down a fresh piece of tarp while the first one dries.

(Sam used to drink like a fish. He'd cheerfully pee on puppy pads...but his aim was atrocious. He hasn't done it in months, but the tarp and puppy pad are right where he'd expect them to be--in case of an emergency.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The waterproof pads that are made for the beds have a rubberized waterproof lining on one side and absorbent material on the other. They are very thin and contain accidents very nicely. You could do as was suggested and use a tarp also under that for added protection for your floors, but even the two together shouldn't prevent the closet door from opening. The nice thing about the waterproof bed pad is it absorbs the pee so there's nothing to have to wipe up. All you have to do is throw it in the washing machine.

The problem is that she always goes in front of the closet door so I can't put anything thick down or the door won't open...

The washable incontinence pads, seriously. They are very thin and the bottom layer is waterproof. Zuri used to have accidents in his crate so I would just lay 1 of them on top of his dog bed. It would completely contain his pee, nothing would leak through. The material is made to draw and hold the urine in and not leak through the bottom.

I've purchased them twice on Ebay and therefore have 2 different brands/styles. These are the ones that I bought (and the seller I bought from) last time that I really like. I bought the XL size (see the description), which is large enough to cover an entire dog bed. Even if you don't buy these particular ones, avoid the "silky" looking ones.

FYI, the bottoms of these are not rubberized, they still feel like a cloth material, so if you have hardwood, you might want to put a no-slip rug liner underneath to hold it in place.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest budsmom

A tarp or a vinyl table cloth and then the human pads on top of that. I had my entire bedroom covered that way for my heart kitty the last month he was alive. He had lost a leg and could n't get into his box, so that's what I resorted to. I also had a vinyl tablecloth with the human pads on top over my bed for him, since he liked to sleep on my bed and I got really tired of washing and changing bedding. The other nice thing about the human pads is that they don't have the attractant in them that the puppy pads do, so it doesn't encourage them to go there all the time.

Guest HyperJ83

I'm having a problem with one of my greys and think I should get pee pads, I've never heard of human pee pads. Where would I find them? They are pads for the floor... for humans? or diapers? I'm sorry, I'm new to this issue with Lila :(

Guest Greytnorth

When my girl Ruby had an injury that we needed to irrigate, I used pee pads to help catch the water. I discovered that if you go to most drug stores, they carry big disposable underpads (human version of the pee pad) that you can use on beds. They hold about 2 cups of water and don't leak. They're cheaper and bigger than the kind you get at most pet stores.

I'm having a problem with one of my greys and think I should get pee pads, I've never heard of human pee pads. Where would I find them? They are pads for the floor... for humans? or diapers? I'm sorry, I'm new to this issue with Lila :(

See the link in my post 2 posts up.

Guest HyperJ83
1328410721[/url]' post='5156389']
1328370402[/url]' post='5155877']

See the link in my post 2 posts up.

Thanks! I see what you mean now.