What The Heck Is Going On?

After a long saga of Maggie's food switches due to poop issues, we finally settled in with WD dry with some ID canned. Beautiful, marvelous poop. HOWEVER, three hundred million of them a day (well, maybe a little exaggeration). While in a pet food store, I started talking to the owner about the refrigerated foods. He suggested we try something called Deli Fresh - even gave me a small "tube" of it to try for free! Put a little in with the old food. Maggie and our bichon LOVED it. Got to a 1/2 and 1/2 recipe and things were good. Still good poop and a reasonable amount. Maggie loved the new food.

Suddenly, after 2 1/2 weeks, Maggie HATES the new food. She'll dig under it to eat the WD and leave the new stuff. Thought maybe there was something wrong with the old tube so I opened a new one. Same issue. The bichon continued to eat the old tube as well as the new one with no issues. Why would Maggie go from LOVING a food to HATING it? It seems so strange to me. I'd really like for her to stay on it.

Any thoughts?

my first salukis were really finiky eaters and i went crazy trying to find out what i should feed them. they looked like biafra babies since they were young and really skinny(salukis are much thinner than young greys). people used to stop their cars and scream at me,"i'm calling the aspca!" well, i went ballistic trying to get them to eat and then a wise dog person said, "put the food down and remove it after 10 minutes". well, i found a kibble of good quality(fancy kibbles were not around back then) and they liked it...initially. then i followed the words of advise. they learned and ate and when it was time for them to mature and fill out they did. ever since then i stopped using add-ons to the food, the salukis used to suck the juice off the kibble! that was in the early 70s and i never had a problem since. call me heartless, but unless a dog is sick they will eventually eat. if you can, stick to your guns and wait it out.

Guest verthib

If she doesn't like the tube and picks out the WD it seems to make sense to just not give the food in a tube and continue with the WD if she's wanting to eat it. If it worked before, stick with it.

Guest gzgreytfun

Was it Henry the 8th that had all his food put in a bucket and mixed up and then if he liked the way it looked he would eat it? :lol :lol :lol

Yuck!

New development --

I've found that if I squish the "tube" food and mix it in with the WD, she LOVES it again! Go figure :blink:

It's times like this that I know that I don't own my greyhounds but am instead a part of some vast psychological experiment run by the hounds seeing how many different ways they can mess with my mind.......

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Wow - I fed the dog 1/2 WD and 1/2 Nutro dry and here poops turned to super hard cement so I backed of the WD to 1/3 and it went to a normal consistency solid but pick-up-able. Usually I added a lttle water and 1/5 can food (Nutro) to help it slide down the throat.

I just mentioned that as I was surprised that your dog could handle straight WD with little canned without plugging her up. All these dogs have different digestive systems and traits I guess

I find that better quality kibble generally yields less poop because they absorb more. No kibble however can touch the poop factor next to raw.

Sorry that I don't know your whole food story, but have you tried raw?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015