Vaginitis

I noticed Daisy has been licking her privates lately. Took her in and had her anals checked, they were expressed. A week after, she was still licking and I thought I saw a small drop of urine tinged with blood. I took her in again yesterday and had a urinalysis ran and they are doing culture and sensitivity. Vet just called and said no infection, but ph is 7 and a few crystals (was not a sterile catch) were noted with +2bilirubin. Negative for blood also. I think her vagina is irritated from her highly concentrated urine. Her specific gravity was in normal range but on the high side. Is there anything we can do for vaginal inflammation?

Guest mirthlesstroll

Do you put water in her kibble? If not, you can "force" her to drink water by pouring a cup or 2 into her kibble - she'll consume the water with the kibble. You can also offer her watered down chicken broth.

Greyhounds do have naturally more concentrated urine, but I don't know specific numbers. Is her genital physiology normal? IE - Dos she have an inverted vulva or other abnormality? This can cause irritation and inflammation, along with infections.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I do add water to her kibble. She eats 1/2 kibble 1/2 raw. Regarding the inverted vulva.... I think it might be?? Would it be totally weird if I took a picture and posted it?? I would love to see what the good people of Greytalk would say! It's the only place you can talk about bizarre stuff without anyone thinking you're crazy...

No need for a picture ;)

Her vulva should be fully exposed with no folds or ridges of skin surrounding it. It's very common, particularly with greyhounds. If she has a chronic condition you may want to talk to your vet about the quick surgery to correct the problem (it has a name but I've forgotten it at the moment).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mbfilby

No need for a picture ;)

Her vulva should be fully exposed with no folds or ridges of skin surrounding it. It's very common, particularly with greyhounds. If she has a chronic condition you may want to talk to your vet about the quick surgery to correct the problem (it has a name but I've forgotten it at the moment).

Myka has this issue. We use a veterinary cleanser and cotton pads about twice a week to keep the irritation down.

Guest verthib

Do you put water in her kibble? If not, you can "force" her to drink water by pouring a cup or 2 into her kibble - she'll consume the water with the kibble. You can also offer her watered down chicken broth.

That's exactly what we had to do with Gracie. Her vulva is quite large and protrudes and it was getting irritated. Her urine used to be so concentrated, it looked orange. She is not a big drinker. We force the water by adding it to her food. The downside is that her teeth got worse.

Pinky had this issue after her amputation because of swelling in her existing leg and in the stump. After she went to the bathroom I had to wipe her with some unscented flushable toddler wipes, and she took some antibiotics too.

Her vulva is a little bit weird anyway but we've never had any issues except for after her surgery.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest summernights

Gem has a big fold over the top of her vulva, which causes her to be more prone to UTIs. A few years ago we started using unscented baby wipes after she went to the bathroom and that's helped cut down the number of infections she's had.