A Lurkers Post

Guest ChrisRey

Guest ChrisRey

Hello,

My name's Chris & i have followed the posts on this site for 6 month (since i got my girl Gabby).

Having found loads of useful info, i thought it was about time i posted.

Gabby on her gotcha day...

GotchaDay28July2011.jpg

I think she has now settled in...

BW_GabbyAsleep.jpg

Question, how long does i take for their personality to fully come out?

Welcome! What a beautiful girl! As for timing, most say it can take up to a year for their personalities to fully emerge. I had one who is the same as he was the day he jumped into my car. I also have one that took over a year before his goofy side showed itself! Every day is an adventure with these dogs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:welcome2 from Montana. My girls keep surprising me and I have had the littermates (Boo Zsee & Zeeba) since 2007!

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

It took Ivy a full year before she relaxed and allowed her beauty to shine through. Goldie was kind of a spook and he began to improve at about a year and continued until he had morphed into a totally self confident and outgoing guy after a few years. It is a beautiful thing to watch them. Kind of like watching a flower bloom! Now some didn't really change- they wore their true self on their sleeve right from the git go. I think it just depends on teh dog. Gabby is very beautiful.

Edited by racindog

Welcome and congrats on adopting your beautiful girl!

My dog was a bounce who had a previous family for 2.5 years. We have now had him 15 months and he is STILL blossoming more and more. He was very relaxed, laid back, and well adjusted when we got him, but after about 6 months he started to be REALLY happy and excited whenever I would get up in the morning or come home from school. His tail goes like crazy and he rubs up against me, sticks his head in my crotch, and pushes the side of his face into my stomach and looks up at me. And in the last couple of months he has started chattering sometimes when he's very excited which he never did before.

So even in a dog off the track for 4.5 years... he still astonishes me from time to time!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Gabby is so pretty! I've had Annie Bella for just over 6 months. It took a good month for her to settle in and relax but since then, each week there are more changes, some big and some very subtle. I expect as the next year goes by, there will be more positive changes in her.

Hello from Lancashire :wave

Congratulations on adopting Gabby, she is just sooooo beautiful. :wub:

My fawn boy Joe is still showing his personality traits after four years. Never cease to be amazed by these adoring hounds. :D

Hullo from Ontario!

LOVE Gabby's ears!!

I'd give her at least 6 months to really get the hang of retired life.

It took Nixon at least 6 months to really blossom.

We got Ruby last August and she's adjusted really well. Having Nixon here really helped her a lot.

And then, adding Nigel in mid-December put yet another change into both their lives.

Nigel changes weekly...he's so much more confident now than he was a month ago.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hello,

My name's Chris & i have followed the posts on this site for 6 month (since i got my girl Gabby).

Having found loads of useful info, i thought it was about time i posted.

Gabby on her gotcha day...

GotchaDay28July2011.jpg

I think she has now settled in...

BW_GabbyAsleep.jpg

Question, how long does i take for their personality to fully come out?

Hi Chris, my name is Nan. I'm new to this and although I don't have a Greyhound (yet) I am gaining knowledge and valuable information before adopting. Gabby is spectacular! I love her ears!!

Guest ChrisRey

Hi Nan815,

Did the same thing before getting Gabby, loads of research always helps - the best info is on this forum, i can speak from experience.

Good luck for whenever you adopt, it's one of the best things i have ever done.

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and welcome to GT.

Gabby is stunning. Each hound is an individual personality just like people. I have three that walked into my home and did not miss a beat, one of my girls took about 2-3 months, and Moe is still evolving, she has been here 3 years and still coming out of her shell. Moe has taught me more patience and time work wonders. :lol

Does she have any other greyhounds to play with? That can help a lot too, or she may just be one of the quieter, more reserved ones.

Guest ChrisRey

We do not have any other Grey's at home, but Gabby has some local friends - one Springer Spaniel (best buddy), a Lab cross & a German Shepherd.

My wife went to the kennels 2nd week of Jan (i was sick so couldn't get my monthly fix of walking newly retired hounds) & came home saying they had the perfect boy to compliment our girl.

If it wasn't for the fact we share all our big decisions then we could of had our second grey. Unfortunately for us (good for Pablo) he has now been re-homed.

Still keep thinking about getting No.2, will have to wait until late July if we do.

When you get the second you will see huge changes in Gabby. Although greyhounds get along with any breed, they know their own and are most comfortable with other greyhounds. If your adoption group holds meet & greets you ought to take Gabby to one and watch her respond to the other greyhounds. You will be amazed.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)