Tummy Troubles

Guest noahupnorth

Guest noahupnorth

Hello everybody,

My name is Neil. I'm new to the forum, and a new greyhound owner as well. My fiance and I adopted our boy Noah a little over 2 months ago and so far it's been pretty smooth sailing. Until about 3 am this morning that is...

It all started with excessive sneezing 3-4 days ago and has since turned into stomach gurgling in the mornings, and now he occasionally chows down on some grass during his walks. Yesterday his stool turned very soft and last night he actually woke us up in the middle of the night to go outside (for the first time). That was at about 1am. Shortly afterwards he snuck downstairs and had the runs all over the living room rug (again...first indoor accident since we got him)

I've read several other threads of dogs with similar symptoms, the only difference with Noah is that he hasn't lost his appetite whatsoever. He doesn't seem to be excessively gassy (any more than usual I mean to say) But he's obviously having some kind of gastrointestinal issues. I had initially thought he might just have some kind of cold/flu, but now after reading some of these other treads I'm concerned that it might be more serious. I would like to avoid unnecessary vet visits, but at the same time I obviously don't want him to be in any discomfort.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If he is waking you up in the middle of the night then he really does have to go. You can make an appointment to the vet and they will probably prescribe something like flagyl which usually helps. In the interim, put him on a bland diet - rice and cooked hamburger (not too much fat). A good ratio to start with is about 1 1/2 cups rice to about 1/2 cup hamburger twice a day. You can also use noodles and chicken instead. You can also give him some oatmeal as that has fiber and helps to firm them up. But, if he is waking you up in the middle of the night and the stool is pretty liquid, you will probably need the vet visit.

You might also want to get some Forti-flora, it's a probiotic to repopulate the good bacteria in the gut.

Welcome to GT! welcome2.gif

Noah probably just has a tummy bug of some sort. Best treatment is usually a fast for a day (leave out plenty of water) & then a bland diet for a day or two more. If he isn't better after that, then a trip to the vet might be in order. As MaryJane mentioned, probiotics are an excellent idea. But it's more than likely something simple. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hmmm....when my Dustin's tummy is bad (with colitis situation, etc.) his appetite goes and there is eventually blood in the stool.

This does sound different. The sneezing is a little disconcerting....that might trigger me to take him to the vet given that it's in conjunction with the tummy issues.

Other may know better, but I wonder about a parasite?....or possibly some type of flu virus. Do you know if he has an elevated temp?

Please let us know how you make out!

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'd say have him checked for worms, though testing can miss them if they're not in a detectable part of their cycle. The "sneezing" concerns me too. Is it similar to the infamous "backward sneeze"? Because greys with hookworms that have migrated to the lungs do a rapid coughing-up-and-swallowing that looks like that (backward sneeze) but isn't sneezing at all. A regulation course of Panacur might be good to do. Good luck and welcome to GT!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'd say have him checked for worms, though testing can miss them if they're not in a detectable part of their cycle. The "sneezing" concerns me too. Is it similar to the infamous "backward sneeze"? Because greys with hookworms that have migrated to the lungs do a rapid coughing-up-and-swallowing that looks like that (backward sneeze) but isn't sneezing at all. A regulation course of Panacur might be good to do. Good luck and welcome to GT!

That's what I was thinking.....

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Another vote for possible parasite. I might even go to straight Panacur but the better course of action is to get a fecal sample to the vet first for them to check. However, it would make sense to still dose with Panacur even if the fecal is negative. Far too many times Greys have had negative fecals initially when they really did have parasites. Good luck.

Any word on Noah?

Guest noahupnorth

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. He hasn't had diarrhea since Tuesday night, and seemed perfectly fine the last couple of days. But at about 5:30 this morning he woke us up with some crazy stomach grumbling and was pacing back and forth in the bedroom. So i took him outside immediately and he went back to eating grass. His bowel movements are still completely solid and he hasn't vomited at all.

We did make an appointment for him to see the vet tonight and get his stool tested. We spoke to the lady who runs our adoption agency and she's pretty convinced he's got some kind of parasite...I guess we'll find out soon enough.