Open-Backed Stairs?

Guest falcon73

Guest falcon73

My son and his girlfriend are thinking of adopting a greyhound into their home...it would be their first grey, but they both have some experience through our greys. The only problem is that they live on the second floor of an apartment complex with stairs that have open backs. I took all 3 of my greys over just to see how they would do on those stairs, as they are all very used to stairs in our house. All three of them got very scared and hesitant, I'm assuming due to the open backs and had a very difficult time going up and down. Any suggestions on how to approach training on stairs with open backs?

I'm sure others will have training success stories, but stairs like that would scare me ... I read somewhere (I think in Cynthia Branigan's book) about a greyhound having a leg slip in the gap between the stairs and breaking it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest falcon73

I'm sure others will have training success stories, but stairs like that would scare me ... I read somewhere (I think in Cynthia Branigan's book) about a greyhound having a leg slip in the gap between the stairs and breaking it.

Thanks, that is our biggest concern also.

Do the stairs at least have those non-skid things on the steps? Stairs like that make ME nervous, let alone the dog.

No they don't. They are just rough concrete, with 8 stairs up to a wooden landing, and then 8 more stairs up to the apartment.

Sounds like they need a dog that's been fostered, and need to start working with the dog before they bring it home. Like, have the foster family teach it regular stairs, then bring it to the complex a few times with really amazing treats to lure up and down the stairs (raw meat!). That way, when the dog comes home it already has some experience and won't be completely freaked out! Good luck to them!

My hounds both do open-backed stairs with ease. However, I'm very careful to keep them clear of snow and ice because if they (or me) did slip, there's the possibility that they (or me) could break a leg.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

When I first got Luna, I was living in a third floor apartment with outdoor open-backed staircases. Lu lived in a foster home before I adopted her, and knew stairs, but wasn't overly excited about the open-backed staircases. The first time we had to go up, it took us about an hour of various attempts and luring with treats to take on the first flight. I was starting to get pretty stressed about it, so I just scooped her up and carried her up the first flight (she raced at just 58 pounds, so fortunately this was possible for me). She decided that my carrying her was way worse than just using the stairs, so she went up the next flight without an issue. When someone came with her hound (who also wasn't wanting to go up), she scooped up her back legs and the hound walked up with just the front legs.

It was only an issue that very first time, after that Luna took the stairs like a pro. I would also recommend that they try to get their hound to keep a steady pace on the stairs. I can see how taking the stairs too quickly could be a potential danger. Wish them luck!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo came to us not knowing stairs at all. We have a 2 story with a regular flight of stairs and a small set of open stairs off our deck into the backyard. He learned them both at about the same pace. He didn't seem any more intimidated by the open stairs then the regular stairs. It took us 3 days of walking him up paw by paw before he would try to go up by himself with us holding his collar. Coming down we let him lean on us while holding his collar or walked right in front of him. Three weeks later he is a master at going up and comes down on his own slowly.

Guest shanesmom

I live in a second floor condo with open back stairs leading to it. Yes, my greyhounds were scared when they first saw them but they learned. Even Elton who knew how to do stairs was afraid when he first saw them but within a day he was going up and down no problem. Ace was the only one who was really a challenge to teach but he is not at all confident and is afraid of all new situations. He has no problem with them at all now. Fortunately, they are carpeted.

We had open backed, concrete stairs in our first apartment. They were outside, so as the dogs were going up them they could see cars and people going by. We got some brown paper and taped it across the backs of them so they couldn't see through. Then we'd walk beside them. At first we had to move them up the stairs foot by foot. Took FOREVER. Finally we got so we'd get them within a couple of the top, go up and coax them.

Took a while but they all learned them. Then we took the paper off them one step at a time over the course of a week or two.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Concrete steps won't be slipperly or jiggly. There's no reason that any dog cannot learn how to navigate them. It might take a while though, and since I assume that's their only way in and out, it could be an issue.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sounds like they need a dog that's been fostered, and need to start working with the dog before they bring it home. Like, have the foster family teach it regular stairs, then bring it to the complex a few times with really amazing treats to lure up and down the stairs (raw meat!). That way, when the dog comes home it already has some experience and won't be completely freaked out! Good luck to them!

I agree with this post. I would definfitely first train the new Greybaby on regular stairs for a while so he or she can get use to the stair thing. Then I would carefully introduce the new Greybaby to the open risers so he or she will have a platform by which to reference.

I even hate to climb stairs with open risers - they make me nervous. When I took my girls to my friend's apartment for a visit, there were the same apartment staris with open risers and both girls got nervous eventhough they both knew stairs by that tme. I had to carry them up one at a time.

I hope everything works out for them.

When I moved to my new house a decade ago my greyhound at the time refused to do my wood back stairs which had the open backs. Luckily I was able to take him in the front door which was level with the walkway.

The stairs were also just a bit narrower than normal which made it even worse. But, it was only about 5 stairs and he still would not do it. This was one battle he won as I could not do any of my usual tricks of putting his feet up because they could go out the back of the stair and break a leg. I couldn't carry him as he was over 100 lbs (no, not fat just a real tall boy). The result .... within a few weeks I put wood backs on the stairs and he trotted up the stairs.

There is never a guarantee in life but, in this case - greyhounds and many other dogs have a "thing" about open backed stairs and are going to give you a fight about going up them. I would suggest that you talk to the apartment management and see if backs can be put on the stairs - as many have said, they are a hazard not just to dogs but to people as well.

I hate open back stairs, and my hounds do too. I would recommend putting some sticky strips if possible, but I don't have any further training tips to help.

My experience: I have two different stair walkers. Kasey JUMPS up the stairs, 1 flight in 3 bounds. Ryder takes one stair individually. If the greyhound is an individual stair climber it might not be too bad of an issue, but the flight jumpers are the ones that worry me because they just bound up them with full force. I'm so scared Kasey will one day put his paw right through on the odd times we've had to deal with them.

I know Ryder got tripped up with open back stairs, and there were only 2 stairs to go from my parents back deck to the ground. Now he just stretches to jump right on the deck and doesn't take any stair at all.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I brought my hounds to a friend's house last summer and the dogs had to go down a set of wooden open-backed stairs (about 15 of them) to get to the potty area. I was a little nervous about them being afraid to come back up to the house, but they didn't blink an eye. Maybe it was because my friend's two shelties ran up and down them since they lived there and were used to them. Sometimes having another confident, experienced dog for them to watch helps.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I had open backed stairs to my deck in the past house and my dog was very used to regular stairs but the only way we got her up those was by us running up the stairs and her following on a leash. We were ahead and the speed of us going up the stairs caused the dog to look up and focus on us with her eyes, instead of looking straight thru the opening Anytime we slowed down the dog would stop and want to rurn around and go down). I think that this is going to be a tough row to hoe and would definately recommend adding a backing to the stairs - (wood or carpet) anything to block the view thru the opening that they WILL focus on. I am sure that training can be done but I predict it will be a long and unpleasant experience for both of you.