Passion Gave Me A Scare This Morning

Wonder

Passion scared the sh!t out of me this morning.

I was sleeping, woke up to someone puking so I sat up. When I sat up, all the dogs leaped up. They pushed Passion off the bed and she fell, cracking her head on the dresser leg. I went over to her and her head was tilted funny and she was twitching. She was trying to get up but couldn't. I picked her up and laid her on the bed. She wasn't responding to me at all. Then she started panting and her heart was racing. I didn't know what to do. I was worried the other dogs might jump on the bed or worse, attack her. I moved her to the dining room and baby gated her in there. She was still panting and laying funny. I called Batmom and I'm sure she couldn't understand a word I said between my sobs. She told me to get her to the vet. I heard what she told me but I couldn't function. I just stood there with tears streaming down my face. I knew I could get her to the car but I didn't think I could do the 20 min drive with her struggling in the back, trying to get up. I called my vet at home, he didn't answer but he called me right back. It's his wife's cell so she must have guessed it was an emergency call for him and told him to call me. I told him what happened and he asked when, I said just a few minutes ago. It was actually closer to 20 minutes by that time. He asked what she was doing and I said just laying there now. He told me to let her lay there for 10 minutes and then call him back. She still wasn't responding to me but she had stopped panting and her heart seemed to have slowed down a little. She struggled to sit up and puked again. When she sat up, her body was still twitching. The puke was just yellow bile and it was her puking earlier. After 15 minutes, I called him back. She was now responding to me and watching with her eyes when I moved but she still wasn't moving. He told me to intice her to get up with a treat. She wouldn't move at first but finally she got up. She wasn't totally steady on her feet but she chomped the treat like normal. He told me to keep an eye on her and what to look for and call him later if those things show up. She so was pretty much seeing stars and was dazed. I don't see anything on her head where she hit it but I'm sure she has a headache.

I have never been so scared! It's been 2 and a half hrs since it happened and I still want to puke. My head is pounding and I'm still in tears. She's resting on the couch after eating a ton of treats and her breakfast. She doesn't want me out of her sight so follows me when I leave the room. I wasn't planning to go any where today anyway so will keep an eye on her. I'll bring her to work tomorrow too.

I thought I was going to have to send her to the bridge today.

I let her eat her breakfast on the couch

418490_10150492188112583_527687582_9061344_2083836651_n.jpg

This was right after I got her up for the first time. She was ready for more treats.

422681_10150492188242583_527687582_9061345_423216336_n.jpg

Now she's laying in a sunbeam

429011_10150492188442583_527687582_9061347_1501533949_n.jpg

Edited to add:

I've never been so happy to hear her whine! Made me cry happy tears when I saw her nose start twitching in a nose whine.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Wow...My heart is racing just reading that. SO glad she's okay.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

That was frightening just reading your experience. I can understand the fear and sick feelings that linger long after the incident has past. That's when your mind has time to think, what if this or what if that had happened and we always draw the worst conclusions. I'm sending lots of healing thoughts for your girl and calming ones for you. Please keep us updated on her condition.

There are many, many more sunbeams for that precious girl to enjoy!

I really like that thought.

Kari - so scary. I am glad she seems to be OK. :hope

There are many, many more sunbeams for that precious girl to enjoy!

:nod

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Oh my how scarey! I started crying tears of relief when you said she was up and eating.

I've had scares and the only thing that helps is

:grouphug

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you both!

I just made her get up for a treat. One of her back legs slid out from under her and she's not walking 100% normal. She wanted that treat though so that's a good sign.

I just keep hearing that "crack" that her head made and the stunned looked on her face when she just laid there.

I have to do laundry and dishes. Anything to keep my mind from thinking about it or I start crying all over again.

I learned that I don't function under a crisis when it's my dog. When it's someone else's I'm calm. Good thing to know.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I completey understand with you. I panic as well when one of my babies has an emergency. When my Angel was having a seizure, someone should have locked me up.

I am only asking this to be helpful. Do you think you should still bring Passion in to your vet tomorrow for a check up? Just to be safe?

Keep those goodie cookies coming!!

:cookie :cookie I am so glad she is doing better now.:bighug :bighug

Edited by LadyGrey

I completey understand with you. I panic as well when one of my babies has an emergency. When my Angel was having a seizure, someone should have locked me up.

I am only asking this to be helpful. Do you think you should still bring Passion in to your vet tomorrow for a check up? Just to be safe?

Keep those goodie cookies coming!!

:cookie :cookie I am so glad she is doing better now.:bighug :bighug

I was just thinking that I will bring her in. I want her lymphnoids checked anyway.

She hasn't slept at all today plus I keep making her get up every hour. She loves all the treats but not the poking and proding that I'm doing or the flash light in her eyes to check her pupils.

She's laying next to me on the couch.

I can't settle down. I just took some drugs because my head still hurts. Wonder if I should give her a baby asprin?

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

That would have frightened me too. I'm glad Batmom and your vet were there for you.

I personally would be hesitant to use a baby aspirin after a head injury, but :dunno I hope Passion and you feel better soon. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor baby...hope everything is ok...I understand about non-functioning. :grouphug What an awful experience.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh my goodness, how frightening, my heart would have been in my mouth! :ohno

So glad she is okay :) :)

:bighug for you.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

How is Passion today? Once in the hands of your vet, you will feel much better.

You are doing an excellent job of keeping an eye on her.

Continued prayers for you and Passion.

I completely understand your panic and your anxiety here. I stopped eating and my head was in a lot of pain too. A wonderful thing to have so much support and intellectual as well as expert advice and support here.

Just wondering how she's doing today, Kari. Thinking of you guys. How scary!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

She slept good last night. Me not so good.

I took a half day at work and have her with me here now.

She's pretty mellow which isn't normal for her at work. She likes to go meet everyone and she didn't do that today.

My boss accidently stepped on her foot. I was in tears hearing her scream. He didn't mean to and said he was sorry.

She whined on the way to work and I was so happy to hear that. She really didn't make much noise yesterday.

Thanks everyone

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17