What Is This? -- Another White Bump(S) Thread

jaym1

My dog, a 4-year old male, has been with me for three months. When I first got him, he had several small, scaly bald patches on his sides and back. They cleared up with antibiotics, and the fur has grown back. Recently, I started finding these tiny, hard, white bumps in various spots -- on his back, his shoulder, leg, etc. He seems to have 3 or 4 that I can notice. He also has two larger, pea sized lumps, one on the back and one on the front of his neck. I assume the larger ones are sebaceous cysts. They are much different than these white bumps, which look, but do not feel like pimples. Any idea what they are?

6779128141_1bf501cffa_b.jpg

Our EZ is prone to getting those. Usually we pop them if a gentle scratch/squeeze will get them out. The larger ones you want to be careful with as they can rupture under the skin if you squeeze to hard - and they are painful if they have no way to exit the body when you squeeze.

EZ gets those small hard ones and the larger ones. Sometimes even those larger ones come to a head and come out on their own. We actually have had little "balls" that feel like sillicone....they almost are rubbery. We never had a solid diagnosis..... They don't bother him though....we got him when he was five and had them then....and still gets them now at 11.

I wouldn't worry to much unless the larger ones get so bit that they are inhibitive.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

It looks like and sounds like from Mychip1's discription to be Molluscum contagiosum. My son had this and it was a pain to get rid of. They are while pearlike bumps that can be hard. If you squeeze them there is a little core that comes out. If you leave them alone, eventually the body will fight the virus off and the core will erupt out on it's own.

As you might have guessed by the name it is contagious though not harmful, mostly just annoying from a cosmetic standpoint. My son had issues with soreness when he would get one in a spot that would rub, like under his arm. It would get irrated, but that's really it. I would not worry about them, but if you touch them, wash your hands as not to spread it to you.

Guest jettcricket

My Dave is prone to those....looks like a sebaceous cysts. Sometimes if he lets me I pop them. They seem to go away eventually on there own.

Our EZ is prone to getting those. Usually we pop them if a gentle scratch/squeeze will get them out. The larger ones you want to be careful with as they can rupture under the skin if you squeeze to hard - and they are painful if they have no way to exit the body when you squeeze.

True enough. But be careful not to try to 'pop' a nipple! Don't laugh, people have tried ... :lol

For those that are genuinely unsure, you can locate nipples easily enough. Just look to see if there are several of the same bumps in a double line, one along each side of the abdomen.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Hard to tell in the photo, so I thought I'd mention it! :lol

Then the most likely answer is a blocked sebaceous gland, especially if they come and go. :nod

Ranger seems prone to them, and has had several. Sid has had one or two. If they get big enough, they seem to leave little round scars behind, but they're not a big problem.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop