Puppies Wrestling

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

Our two male grey pups are now 8 months old, nearly as tall as the adults but not as filled out. They have always werstled and played and everything I read said let them play wrestle, it's how they learn to control bite, etc. Well, they still do it and now that they are big, it's a problem. They knash their teeth into one another and jump and buck areoung the house like two rams. Often we end up in the way and get caught in their game, which sometimes hurts if we get caught by a tooth or nail. Plus, the furniture, knick knacks, etc get knocked aournd. I'm not having any luck getting them to stop. Shouting "no" steping between them, they just continue. I end up separating them until they calm down. How can I break them of this habit long term, or does anyone have experience to know if they will grow out of it anytime soon?

Thanks!

pups that age have lots of energy. do they have the opportunity to run and really move around?? they need that as well as to learn how to settle down, "get steady". lots of training, focused work in obedience helps. from what i remember my arm was a mess when felix was that age. at class and when we practiced he used to bite me. bitter lemon/vinegar solution only dried out my arm, it didn't deter him. it's lots of work bringing up a pup, and oy ves meir...2 greyhound pups the same age :o ....your a much better person than i am!

structured play time, structured work/teaching time, space might help(ie 2 crates to keep them calm and marrow bones and kongs in the crates to keep them busy).

I adopted a pair of littermates when they were about 5-6 weeks. They turned 2 earlier this month.

They still play like that. Exercise is your best friend with pups & remember Greyhound pups do not mature quickly.

They are not my first Greyhound puppies & I had a trainer tell me once they really don't mature until they are about 4yo. I have found that to be true.

Yesterday mine did not get enough exercise because it rained all day. At 1am this morning they were up running from one end of the house to the other chasing each other, running over furniture & other dogs. Today I let them outside as much as possible to run off the energy. They ran with my new foster dog, dug some new holes & are now resting quietly after dinner.

When the girls play roughly I rarely intervene. They are siblings & they play like them. They never hurt each other - just noisy for the most part. They don't get to play that way with my other Greyhounds however. They don't like it so it is not allowed.

Sounds like you have energetic pups...they just need exercise.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

When mine act like that I put muzzles on them and let them chase each other around the yard until they're tired. When they come in they just want some water and a soft bed.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jbbuzby

I personally never allow boisterous behavior in the house (though mine are all retired racers so they have this sense of control!). But, when I had labs, it was the same way. I'd turn them outside to play and play and play, but once they came inside, that was it. If they started up again, I'd send them out, etc. until they learned that that kind of behavior is outdoor play only. They get it quickly, especially if they play like crazy and are tired, you can condition their brains to go into "rest" mode when they're indoors. This will be quite challenging if you don't have a yard though!

Guest Trentsmom

I adopted a pair of littermates when they were about 5-6 weeks. They turned 2 earlier this month.

They still play like that. Exercise is your best friend with pups & remember Greyhound pups do not mature quickly.

They are not my first Greyhound puppies & I had a trainer tell me once they really don't mature until they are about 4yo. I have found that to be true.

Yesterday mine did not get enough exercise because it rained all day. At 1am this morning they were up running from one end of the house to the other chasing each other, running over furniture & other dogs. Today I let them outside as much as possible to run off the energy. They ran with my new foster dog, dug some new holes & are now resting quietly after dinner.

When the girls play roughly I rarely intervene. They are siblings & they play like them. They never hurt each other - just noisy for the most part. They don't get to play that way with my other Greyhounds however. They don't like it so it is not allowed.

Sounds like you have energetic pups...they just need exercise.

LOL, I had to read this to my husband to let him know we;re not alone. It sounds like you wrote about our home, holes and all. Thanks for the encouragement!

I personally never allow boisterous behavior in the house (though mine are all retired racers so they have this sense of control!). But, when I had labs, it was the same way. I'd turn them outside to play and play and play, but once they came inside, that was it. If they started up again, I'd send them out, etc. until they learned that that kind of behavior is outdoor play only. They get it quickly, especially if they play like crazy and are tired, you can condition their brains to go into "rest" mode when they're indoors. This will be quite challenging if you don't have a yard though!

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have a yard and they play quite a bit, but are like energizer bunnies! I'm going to try putting them out when they are crazy and hope that they will begin to understand outside vs inside play.

When we took in the "Little Women" girls from Pam they were aprox 6 weeks old & we put 2 in a crate for sleeping, eating, & rest time. They played like crazy outside & the old Momma's helped train them. I always it easier to have at least 2 pups at a time because they can play together & tire each other out!

I have two young Borzoi (one is 3 years and the other 15 months). They play like this for hours on end. Thankfully, we have a very large yard, and WANT them to play like this: good exercise.

So yes, they have LOTS of energy as youngsters, and need to work it off somehow. You've had some great suggestions here.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greybookends

They have lots of energy. Just muzzle them and put them outside and get a camera and video it and share. My Ginny was 7 weeks when I got her, she will be 6 next month. I love to go back and watch the video clips of her. Just like kids they grow up way to fast.