Do Neutered Male Greyhounds Mount?

Guest emma

I though about this humping business some more and remembered having, ca 200 years ago, learned about "displacement behavior" in high school. So I googled that and I found this link http://doglifetraining.com/2011/07/your-questions-humping/. Seems perfectly sensible to me. It's along the lines of the other link I posted about humping b/c of social anxiety.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all your replies! I really hope our grey won't be a 'mounter' =/

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

We've only had female dogs, so no comment on the mounting. However, females can and do mark. Our grey Celeste can easily pee 10x on a mile walk. She also lifts her leg to pee.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

You have married a fine man, there. ;):colgate

I know it is a joke but I'm not sure what you mean? :unsure:)

Congrats on your decision to inculcate yourself into the cult of the greyhound. :lol:thumbs-up

As you will find out, lots of folks have lots of opinions...and once a thread hits 20 or so posts, I tend to think that it no longer "belongs" to me, but rather the the Community. Let those that need to, have at 'er...pull out the info you want/need and move on.

I can only recall Riley mounting one dog...Koni...her owner and I looked at each and pretended we saw nothing after I corrected R...that I can think of, it has never happened again. Any dog that has tried that with Brogan has found out quickly that most girl-dogs "will cut ya'" if you try to dominate them...pretty quickly, they work out amongst themselves their own pecking order...again not a huge thing with GHs IMO. ;)

Marking...a quick correction if necessary, and your boy (or girl)-dog will hopefully respond by never doing it again...:goodluck Even tempered but firm and consistent training will guide your addition to becoming a happily integrated member of the family.

:welcome

:)

K

Thank you :colgate:flip

And we can't wait to bring our new pooch home :ghplaybow:beatheart

I though about this humping business some more and remembered having, ca 200 years ago, learned about "displacement behavior" in high school. So I googled that and I found this link http://doglifetraining.com/2011/07/your-questions-humping/. Seems perfectly sensible to me. It's along the lines of the other link I posted about humping b/c of social anxiety.

that's a good article, thanks :)

Thank you for all your replies! I really hope our grey won't be a 'mounter' =/

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

We've only had female dogs, so no comment on the mounting. However, females can and do mark. Our grey Celeste can easily pee 10x on a mile walk. She also lifts her leg to pee.

I know that's why I kind of thought it is kind of the same with marking dogs cause my female dog always marked a lot too. Although she didn't lift her leg to do it :lol

So I thought it doesn't really matter (male or female) but because I have no experience with male dogs I thought I would ask

Guest Wpgkeith

You mentioned that this would be your DH's first dog...Riley was my first dog. Both greyhounds as first dogs.

K

You mentioned that this would be your DH's first dog...Riley was my first dog. Both greyhounds as first dogs.

K

:lol

Whew! This has turned into a little bit of a barn burner! ....Moving on, I have never seen any humping by greyhounds in my circle. Marking, that's another story. My spotty man lifted his leg once the first time he arrived at our house and was promptly admonished and hasn't done it since. However, I have to watch him at the vet's. One time he peed on a big bag of someone's prescription dog food that was leaning against the wall...and there have been other times. Lots of dog pee in vet waiting rooms, I guess. He generally has a Really big pee in the morning and doesn't seem to hold anything back for later, cuz it takes a good 30 seconds or more. (I feel sorry for him when it's -20 below). Some hours later, he seems to enjoy marking on our daily rounds.

Edited by spottydog

Over many years and many dogs, haven't had any problems with excessive humping or indoor marking by neutered or nonneutered male or female greyhounds or nongreyhounds. A little supervision, redirect, and reward for desired behavior is usually all that's needed. Haven't had an adult take more than a couple days to be reasonably reliable or more than @ 2 weeks to be very reliable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Over many years and many dogs, haven't had any problems with excessive humping or indoor marking by neutered or nonneutered male or female greyhounds or nongreyhounds. A little supervision, redirect, and reward for desired behavior is usually all that's needed. Haven't had an adult take more than a couple days to be reasonably reliable or more than @ 2 weeks to be very reliable.

:nod Thank you, Batmom. Concise as always. Do you give lessons in that? I need some. :lol

My best potty training trick is plain old supervision :) . I find leash bonding (keeping the dog attached by leash) effective but cumbersome -- easier for me is to gate the dog into the room with me. I have a lightweight gate that I can move around from doorway to doorway, for just that purpose.

Oh, yeah, and for the boys, one of LynnM's suggestions -- when you're in an unfamiliar indoor place with an "I really like to mark" boy, keep your hand ready to push that leg down. Those types of boys mostly want to leg lift, and if they can't, they usually won't mark either.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My best potty training trick is plain old supervision :) . I find leash bonding (keeping the dog attached by leash) effective but cumbersome -- easier for me is to gate the dog into the room with me. I have a lightweight gate that I can move around from doorway to doorway, for just that purpose.

Oh, yeah, and for the boys, one of LynnM's suggestions -- when you're in an unfamiliar indoor place with an "I really like to mark" boy, keep your hand ready to push that leg down. Those types of boys mostly want to leg lift, and if they can't, they usually won't mark either.

great advice :thumbs-up

Edited by emma

Mine don't mount. It's something I would discourage, though. Some dogs react very badly to being mounted.

The lurcher down the street once tried to mount Riley, and Riley responded by tearing off part of his ear.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

At our house the marker is our nongrey female. She'll pee at least 4 times around the block: pees immediately after huffing at another dog or if she is barked at from a distance. It can make for very interesting walks if there are lots of dogs out there. (She wasn't well socialized as a pup, so is tense around other dogs.) Monty "flirts" at peeing on things more than he really marks - and hasn't peed inside the house or in a building since the first two weeks we got him. We do keep a sharp eye on him when at pet supply stores though. Move him along before he gets any ideas based on other dogs' bad behaviors!

I have had a female greyhound and a male greyhound (both now at the rainbow bridge) and neither ever mounted anything. I currently have a beautiful male greyhound(for 4 months now)and he has never tried mounting either. We were in a situation recently where a little terrier tried to mount him! He looked at the terrier with a "Like, really????".

It looks like from the posts, some do mount, but I haven't seen it happen.

Same here. Neither of mine ever did. Thankfully. I worried about that when I got a male. I thought back to my childhood dog, a lab mix. He used to get amorous with pillows and my grandfather's leg. I am much relieved that Kevin keeps "it" in. The two times I have seen "it" I was disturbed. Luckily he listened to me and put it away.

finalsiggy.jpg

I have had a female greyhound and a male greyhound (both now at the rainbow bridge) and neither ever mounted anything. I currently have a beautiful male greyhound(for 4 months now)and he has never tried mounting either. We were in a situation recently where a little terrier tried to mount him! He looked at the terrier with a "Like, really????".

It looks like from the posts, some do mount, but I haven't seen it happen.

Same here. Neither of mine ever did. Thankfully. I worried about that when I got a male. I thought back to my childhood dog, a lab mix. He used to get amorous with pillows and my grandfather's leg. I am much relieved that Kevin keeps "it" in. The two times I have seen "it" I was disturbed. Luckily he listened to me and put it away.

Oh I'm glad I'm not alone who had worries :blush

Oh definitely not. For the record this is what Kevin has done in terms of marking: 1. The first day we had him DH let him go into the finished basement. This is where Sadie would go to throw-up or pee. We probably couldn't get it out of the carpet completely. Also, her old dog bed was downstairs. It probably smelled like her (she had anal gland issues in her last year or two). I told DH not let him down there because of the smells he could probably smell. Well, guess what? He peed on Sadie's old bed. DH caught him, corrected him and brought him outside to finish. 2. He probably had to go but I didn't realize it. He peed on a pile of newspapers beside the fireplace. I caught him, corrected him, and brought him outside to finish and then I praised him. Lots of praise for going outside always. 3. The first time we went to my parents' (about a year ago) their evil little dogs barked at him from the moment we walked it. He was the most stressed I have ever seen him. He eventually went to the dining table and marked a chair. 4. The vet's office. He marked the corner of the reception desk. He has been many times and only did this once though and I know dogs pee on that spot several times a day.

He used to mess in his crate sometimes at first. Probably nerves. Once left out of his crate he was great. Not one problem. And once in Petco he was very excited for a couple of hours during a meet and greet. I saw him start to lift his leg. Nothing came out- I corrected him and got him outside right away (again, a year ago). So aside from the vet it has been over a year with no issues. He also was either stressed or had to go during all of those situations. ANd 4/5 incidents I discussed happened in the first two months we had him. A couple of days of keeping a close eye or using a long leash and frequent potty breaks outside with tons of praise and you'll likely be nearly house trained. Use the crate when you're gone at first. Do alone training immediately. And eventually wean-off the crate. I expect couple of accidents. But I have a house full of antiques and oriental rugs. I am not exactly relaxed about accidents. Particularly because boys can lift their legs. But Kevin hasn't been a problem. He does mark outside though. I have to watch him in the garden.

As for your question re: dogs and incontinence- some do have issues when they get older. Like people. Often the quality of life is poor at that point. Our Sadie had very few accidents after she was diagnosed with kidney failure. It depends on the individual.

As for boys v. girls I wanted a girl and we had Sadie for 10 years. I wanted a girl out of concern for those things I thought only boys did. Well, girls do them too. Not my girl, but. . . I think the biggest factor is the connection with the dog. In my experience girls tend to be a bit more reserved and serious. Braver even. Boys tend to be goofier and more snuggly. So, it depends on the personality you are seeking. Good luck and enjoy your new hound this Spring!!

finalsiggy.jpg

Oh definitely not. For the record this is what Kevin has done in terms of marking: 1. The first day we had him DH let him go into the finished basement. This is where Sadie would go to throw-up or pee. We probably couldn't get it out of the carpet completely. Also, her old dog bed was downstairs. It probably smelled like her (she had anal gland issues in her last year or two). I told DH not let him down there because of the smells he could probably smell. Well, guess what? He peed on Sadie's old bed. DH caught him, corrected him and brought him outside to finish. 2. He probably had to go but I didn't realize it. He peed on a pile of newspapers beside the fireplace. I caught him, corrected him, and brought him outside to finish and then I praised him. Lots of praise for going outside always. 3. The first time we went to my parents' (about a year ago) their evil little dogs barked at him from the moment we walked it. He was the most stressed I have ever seen him. He eventually went to the dining table and marked a chair. 4. The vet's office. He marked the corner of the reception desk. He has been many times and only did this once though and I know dogs pee on that spot several times a day.

He used to mess in his crate sometimes at first. Probably nerves. Once left out of his crate he was great. Not one problem. And once in Petco he was very excited for a couple of hours during a meet and greet. I saw him start to lift his leg. Nothing came out- I corrected him and got him outside right away (again, a year ago). So aside from the vet it has been over a year with no issues. He also was either stressed or had to go during all of those situations. ANd 4/5 incidents I discussed happened in the first two months we had him. A couple of days of keeping a close eye or using a long leash and frequent potty breaks outside with tons of praise and you'll likely be nearly house trained. Use the crate when you're gone at first. Do alone training immediately. And eventually wean-off the crate. I expect couple of accidents. But I have a house full of antiques and oriental rugs. I am not exactly relaxed about accidents. Particularly because boys can lift their legs. But Kevin hasn't been a problem. He does mark outside though. I have to watch him in the garden.

As for your question re: dogs and incontinence- some do have issues when they get older. Like people. Often the quality of life is poor at that point. Our Sadie had very few accidents after she was diagnosed with kidney failure. It depends on the individual.

As for boys v. girls I wanted a girl and we had Sadie for 10 years. I wanted a girl out of concern for those things I thought only boys did. Well, girls do them too. Not my girl, but. . . I think the biggest factor is the connection with the dog. In my experience girls tend to be a bit more reserved and serious. Braver even. Boys tend to be goofier and more snuggly. So, it depends on the personality you are seeking. Good luck and enjoy your new hound this Spring!!

Thank you :wub:

We have only 2 small area rugs so possible accidents will be easily cleaned :)

Do you know how to potty train them without a crate? cause I know that some people didn't use crates and we kind of preferred not to... We thought that we would try the same thing as when we had a puppy and when we weren't home she always went potty to newspapers near the door if she really needed to...

We can't wait :confetti and I'll post pictures of our new furrbaby when we'll bring him or her home

Edited by emma

Thank you :wub:

We have only 2 small area rugs so possible accidents will be easily cleaned :)

Do you know how to potty train them without a crate? cause I know that some people didn't use crates and we kind of preferred not to... We thought that we would try the same thing as when we had a puppy and when we weren't home she always went potty to newspapers near the door if she really needed to...

We can't wait :confetti and I'll post pictures of our new furrbaby when we'll bring him or her home

I would definitely use the crate at the beginning. It helps set the dog up to succeed. As do muzzles (when meeting new dogs or having any handling/grooming done). As does supervision. You don't want to get off on the wrong foot and have to fix a situation on top of regular training. You don't want a dog to think it is ever ok to potty in the house. Your dog knows how to hold it because he is an adult. but he doesn't know the routine or that he shouldn't go inside. it's your job to take a few days to watch him and let him out every couple hours and start to get him into a routine. get him to empty before you go into the house for the first time. then take him in on leash and walk him around and let him explore. be ready to jerk the leash and say "No" firm and loud if he starts to have a potty posture. then take him back out. praise when he goes outside. then bring him in and leave him on leash (clip a couple of leashes together). tie the leash around your waist. this way your hands are free and the pup can wander-off. take him out every couple of hours. see if he tries to tell you he needs out. some will go to the door (and make no noise- you can teach them to ring a bell, but you need to be able to hear the bell). some will bark, some will pace, some will sniff. some will whine. mine does all of the above. when you start to learn the clues you can catch him and get him out.

The first few weeks should be about structure and providing the dog with his new routine so he can feel secure. greys have led very structured lives and they know what's expected of them, when they eat and when they potty. they don't know about living in a house. they sometimes feel insecure when their world is turned upside down but they don't know what you want. Start training (potty and obedience) right away. If the dog doesn't have structure he may test his bounds or be more nervous. You will want to fawn all over him, but let him settle-in first and learn where he fits-in. Unless the dog is one that freaks in the crate (then you have to forgo the crate). Also, I use gates because many dogs, especially Kevin, hate being behind a closed, solid door. Feed meals in the crate or give high value treats in there and make it the sancturary. these dogs spend a lot of time in the crate. they are used to it and some enjoy the cozy place to hide. I would start with the crate in the bedroom if you have no other pets. greys are not used to being alone. he may not sleep if he is kept in another room. gate the room off at night and provide a bed outside the crate too. this way the dog will view the bedroom as an extension of his den. and he can get used to being out of the crate. and if you crate during the day the dog should be free at night. you should crate anytime you can't keep an eye on the dog, at first. this way there is less chance of accidents or destruction. gradually give more and more run of the house. when the dog is comfortable being out in the house and you don't feel there will be accidents or damage if you turn your back you can give the run of the house when you are there. when you decide the pup is settled you can move into the being left out by putting him in the kitchen or someplace where an accident is not a big deal. you can also use the gated bedroom. do the alone training the same way you did with the crate (get the pamphlet "I'll be home soon"). leave the room. go back to the room and ignore the pup, then walk out of the house, come back ignore . . . and then walk around the yard, then the block, then keep extending the time gradually. hopefully the pup will settle-in quickly and transition out of the crate. But remember, you might get a dog that wants his crate!

finalsiggy.jpg

I would borrow a crate from your group and try baby gating in a room (kitchen?) with the crate in there but open. You can figure out pretty quick if your dog needs a crate.

yeah, good idea :)

Guess we have been lucky with ours in over 30 years with various dog breeds and fosters I have never had a 'humper' nor an indoor 'marker. Plenty of both sexes that marked outside though and boys that peed like girls and girls that hiked a leg. Maybe it's because I don't let my dogs get over-excited or hyped-up with rough play with me or each other.

Sue from England

Guess we have been lucky with ours in over 30 years with various dog breeds and fosters I have never had a 'humper' nor an indoor 'marker. Plenty of both sexes that marked outside though and boys that peed like girls and girls that hiked a leg. Maybe it's because I don't let my dogs get over-excited or hyped-up with rough play with me or each other.

Well thats great! I don't mind outside marking of course.

Hopefully I'll be that lucky too. :) I've never saw my friends' dogs do any mounting, but as I've mentioned before, my in-laws' dog is crazy humper and I just hate it bigtime

Edited by emma