Do Neutered Male Greyhounds Mount?

Guest emma

Guest verthib

Thank you for all your replies! I really hope our grey won't be a 'mounter' =/

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

It's not nonsense at all. Most males take several pees/marks before they're even half empty. My girl can empty in one shot, sometimes two. In the morning I always give Angus ample time to mark on walks so his bladder is nice and empty before I leave for work.

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

We had a female that marked on walks, and one of our males must pee on top of the others' pee in the yard, but I've never noticed any other differences.

While intact males (all breeds) are more prone to marking, once neutered and house trained there are not usually any issues.

Incorrect. All of my neutered house trained males marked, including my current male. I'm not saying all will, but neutering and house training doesn't necessarily mean they won't mark. Two of my gf's males mark in people's homes and offices etc, just like my lovely bit Angus.

Edited by verthib

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your concern is understandable. After years of only females I wondered some of the same things when I got my first male. In reality, I find the males easier to deal with even on the issue of marking. First my males run outside & let loose in about the same amount at the females. One thing I found most surprising is that all my male tend to pee like girls more often than hiking a leg. What's even funnier is that I've not had two girls who sometimes hike a leg on things. They just aren't as effective at it as the boys. :lol

Perhaps it's just been the particular individuals I've had but the same two girls who did/do hike a leg on vertical surfaces are also the prime marking offenders. My boys have not marked in the house. The accidents they've had have been my fault for not getting them out fast enough. The girls have had just as many accidents + the rare intentional marking.

That doesn't mean some males don't mark. They do. Yet the girls can be just as bad. Marking, either indoors or out, is a natural behavior but it can be changed in time with training. Don't let that factor into your decision making. Actually a good thing about the boys is that belly bands can help protect your house & are very easy to use if necessary while training.

This is one of those DOG questions that really isn't specific to greyhounds--and yes, neutered males AND females will mount dogs of either sex.

It's said to be a dominance display by "experts."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Your concern is understandable. After years of only females I wondered some of the same things when I got my first male. In reality, I find the males easier to deal with even on the issue of marking. First my males run outside & let loose in about the same amount at the females. One thing I found most surprising is that all my male tend to pee like girls more often than hiking a leg. What's even funnier is that I've not had two girls who sometimes hike a leg on things. They just aren't as effective at it as the boys. :lol

Perhaps it's just been the particular individuals I've had but the same two girls who did/do hike a leg on vertical surfaces are also the prime marking offenders. My boys have not marked in the house. The accidents they've had have been my fault for not getting them out fast enough. The girls have had just as many accidents + the rare intentional marking.

That doesn't mean some males don't mark. They do. Yet the girls can be just as bad. Marking, either indoors or out, is a natural behavior but it can be changed in time with training. Don't let that factor into your decision making. Actually a good thing about the boys is that belly bands can help protect your house & are very easy to use if necessary while training.

Thank you! You really understand why am I asking these weird questions :blush

We are getting an ex-racer this spring :P and we are so excited!

So I didn't want to opt only for a female just because I've never had a male before (and my hubby has never had a dog at all). I wanted to know if it really matters - male vs female - in some major ways.

Are those belly bands used for incontinence dogs(males and females)? :unsure Do dogs get incontinent when they get older? Or you just use it for training?

My sister had a neutered female Rat Terrier who had a pillow that she got amorous with on occasion.

OMG I keep thinking of "Click" with Adam Sandler. :lol :lol

Poodle was a bit randy before he was neutered but other than that there have been lots and lots of dogs, mostly boys, thru here and I think I've only had one humper and it was a female...and it might have been one of Kamsmoms dogs on a sleepover. B)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest verthib

Thank you! You really understand why am I asking these weird questions :blush

So I didn't want to opt only for a female just because I've never had a male before (and my hubby has never had a dog at all). I wanted to know if it really matters - male vs female - in some major ways.

Are those belly bands used for incontinence dogs(males and females)? :unsure Do dogs get incontinent when they get older? Or you just use it for training?

The belly bands are only for boys. They are used for incontinence or if you just want to be sure he won't mark somewhere. In my experience males do the majority of the humping and marking. And now that someone has raised the belly band topic, it reminds me that I'm going to get one for Angus! Although when he marks he doesn't just do a few drops, it will at least help.

Guest Trentsmom

Hi,

I'm new to greyhound world. I don't want to sound silly, but I had only a female dog before (english cockerspaniel), so I have little experience with males and not at all with male greyhounds. My hubby's parents have a small dog and he mounts all the time and I hate it. Do male greyhounds do that? And does it make a difference that they are neutered?

Thanks

Yep! Both of ours are neutered and mount one another and the two intact puppies. It seems to be a competition to see who can mount who first, like in the sport of wrestling trying to get the first 'pin'. It was so funny to watch the big boys try to mount the puppies when the puppies were only as tall as their knees (visualize it). I will say that I've never seen ours mount anything other than each other. I've seen small dogs mount objects such as shoes and toys- never seen that from ours (maybe theywould if the were smaller, he he)

just for the record, my SPAYED FEMALE greyhound tried to hump my neutered male greyhound not once but twice on their first meeting. However Billy let her know in no uncertain terms that this was not OK and she's never done it again.

Guest verthib

just for the record, my SPAYED FEMALE greyhound tried to hump my neutered male greyhound not once but twice on their first meeting. However Billy let her know in no uncertain terms that this was not OK and she's never done it again.

Because she was trying to assert her dominance.

I can guarantee you the female that I have that mounts another dog is not the one trying to show dominance. She is actually very shy and very spookish.

I find it rather rude that you continually jump in threads and tell everyone they are wrong. Who are you?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest verthib

I can guarantee you the female that I have that mounts another dog is not the one trying to show dominance. She is actually very shy and very spookish.

I find it rather rude that you continually jump in threads and tell everyone they are wrong. Who are you?

LOL Tell them they're wrong? Ummm not true. Read all of my posts.

Edited to add that EVERYONE 'jumps' in posts and gives their opinion, insights, advice, etc. That's the point of this board.

Edited by verthib

Interesting you say that. My shy, fearful Spaniel didn't seem into dominance displays in the way most people think. She seemed to try humping some of the dogs she seemed otherwise intimidated by. It was almost like an offensive move. I suppose the behavior could be considered dominant but she didn't want to be the boss of anyone. She seemed sometimes fall back on "the best defense is a good offense."

Interesting you say that. My shy, fearful Spaniel didn't seem into dominance displays in the way most people think. She seemed to try humping some of the dogs she seemed otherwise intimidated by. It was almost like an offensive move. I suppose the behavior could be considered dominant but she didn't want to be the boss of anyone. She seemed sometimes fall back on "the best defense is a good offense."

I just read this article, http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/humping-mounting.aspx, in which the trainer talks about dogs humping for social anxiety reasons, among others. It sounds that would fit the above two dogs.

It seems to me that you come on here and ask questions, then tell everyone that you know more than they do, so why ask?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Neither my beloved half grey, nor Carl ever tried to mount anything. My beloved Sheila, on the other hand, that's a different story. She also lifted her leg to pee when she was around male dogs! :lol

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

When we first got Heisman (my first-ever male dog), I squatted down to wipe something off the floor. I sensed him coming up behind me and starting to mount. Instinctively, I reeled around and humped him instead! :blush Fortunately for me, no one was around to witness this spectacle. Heisman has never done this again.

A few months later, I ran in to a volunteer at the adoption center who knew Heisman well when he stayed there. She asked me if he is still humping everything in sight and told me he was a well-known humper there! (Not MY gentleman of a dog!)

He was fixed the day we adopted him, and that humping incident happened about 36 hours later, probably after he was feeling a little better from his surgery.

So did he stop humping because of what I did, or because of his neutering, or because of his retirement home environment?

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest verthib

It seems to me that you come on here and ask questions, then tell everyone that you know more than they do, so why ask?

I ask questions just like anyone else. And I offer my opinions just as everyone else. Give me a freaking break! I've read some hugely rude posts including from some of the frequent posters on here and they're allowed to disagree or say what they feel so just lay off already!!! I'm doing what most other frequent posters do--questions and responses. Added: Again this is what the board is for!!!

Edited by verthib

I just read this article, http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/humping-mounting.aspx, in which the trainer talks about dogs humping for social anxiety reasons, among others. It sounds that would fit the above two dogs.

wow that's really interesting and it would actually explain the behaviour of my hubby's parents dog (jack russell, who as I mentioned periodically tries that on people) - They got him when my hubby wasn't living with them anymore and they are basically clueless about how to train a dog. He is also very submissive. My english cockerspaniel female was on the other hand very dominant and she would never do that to a dog. (and she would never do that to people of course). Actually, the only dogs I saw do it to people were the ones which weren't trained properly, and didn't behave properly (in all things like basic obedience etc...). The dogs who mount dog is another story as I don't think that they are mis-trained at all and they probably do that cause of social anxiety reasons as you wrote.

At least that's my opinion :blush

Good article about humping. I agree with the author and I'm really not convinced most dogs hump to assert dominance. More often, I see dogs humping due to excitement, over-arousal, stress, and anxiety. My whippet humps the greyhounds when they are all excited in anticipation of dinnertime.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest mbfilby

We had a female that marked on walks, and one of our males must pee on top of the others' pee in the yard, but I've never noticed any other differences.

While intact males (all breeds) are more prone to marking, once neutered and house trained there are not usually any issues.

Incorrect. All of my neutered house trained males marked, including my current male. I'm not saying all will, but neutering and house training doesn't necessarily mean they won't mark. Two of my gf's males mark in people's homes and offices etc, just like my lovely bit Angus.

Edited to add that EVERYONE 'jumps' in posts and gives their opinion, insights, advice, etc. That's the point of this board.

I've had dogs my entire life. It's common knowledge that one (of the many) benefits to altering a male hound is that it helps curb marking in the house. While some dogs may continue to exhibit this behavior, especially in homes with multiple males, it can usually be trained out.

Edited by mbfilby

Guest Wpgkeith

ank you! You really understand why am I asking these weird questions :blush

... (and my hubby has never had a dog at all). I wanted to know if it really matters - male vs female - in some major ways.

Congrats on your decision to inculcate yourself into the cult of the greyhound. :lol:thumbs-up

As you will find out, lots of folks have lots of opinions...and once a thread hits 20 or so posts, I tend to think that it no longer "belongs" to me, but rather the the Community. Let those that need to, have at 'er...pull out the info you want/need and move on.

BTW - Riley was my first dog, too. You have married a fine man, there. ;):colgate

I can only recall Riley mounting one dog...Koni...her owner and I looked at each and pretended we saw nothing after I corrected R...that I can think of, it has never happened again. Any dog that has tried that with Brogan has found out quickly that most girl-dogs "will cut ya'" if you try to dominate them...pretty quickly, they work out amongst themselves their own pecking order...again not a huge thing with GHs IMO. ;)

Marking...a quick correction if necessary, and your boy (or girl)-dog will hopefully respond by never doing it again...:goodluck Even tempered but firm and consistent training will guide your addition to becoming a happily integrated member of the family.

:welcome

:)

K

Marking...a quick correction if necessary, and your boy (or girl)-dog will hopefully respond by never doing it again...

I assume you're referring to marking indoors. Marking is normal behavior, and I feel dogs should be allowed to do it to their hearts' content, just outside. :) Some of my foster boys have tried to mark inside once or twice, but with supervision and immediate correction, they learn quickly. Now, my Italian greyhound was a different matter...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg