Do Neutered Male Greyhounds Mount?

Guest emma

Hi,

I'm new to greyhound world. I don't want to sound silly, but I had only a female dog before (english cockerspaniel), so I have little experience with males and not at all with male greyhounds. My hubby's parents have a small dog and he mounts all the time and I hate it. Do male greyhounds do that? And does it make a difference that they are neutered?

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neutered grey mounted dogs all the time. :lol So does one of my females dry.gif.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Wasserbuffel

There is one male at playgroup who seems absolutely infatuated with Jayne. He tries to mount her, but none of the other dogs.

My sister had a neutered female Rat Terrier who had a pillow that she got amorous with on occasion. I also used to own a pair of sister ducks who mounted each other all the time. So, it's not just a greyhound, male or even just a dog thing.

I have had a female greyhound and a male greyhound (both now at the rainbow bridge) and neither ever mounted anything. I currently have a beautiful male greyhound(for 4 months now)and he has never tried mounting either. We were in a situation recently where a little terrier tried to mount him! He looked at the terrier with a "Like, really????".

It looks like from the posts, some do mount, but I haven't seen it happen.

Oh and do you correct them? Or it's natural and should not be corrected? Cause the thing which concerns me more is that if they try it on people or things. Cause that's what the dog of my hubby's parents does!!!

It's a "natural" thing but yes, I correct it just by saying no.

It's one of those things that is just inappropriate, kind of like jumping on me or counter surfing.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Oh and do you correct them? Or it's natural and should not be corrected? Cause the thing which concerns me more is that if they try it on people or things. Cause that's what the dog of my hubby's parents does!!!

I would say to definitely correct them. It isn't behavior that anyone would appreciate.

Mounting is done by dogs of any age, any sex, in tact or neutered. Am sure there must be some Greys who mount but so far I've not seen it. Nor have I noticed any trend to people posting concerns or comments about their Greys mounting. This leads me to believe it is not a common problem with Greys.

For the records, I have only had one dog who was a habitual mounter. She was a spayed, 35 lb Spaniel mix.

We had a Greyhound BD party for a 12yo. About 18 hounds showed up. The former foster Dad of my hound was sitting on a blanket having a beer when all of a sudden my boy runs across the lawn and starts humping his head. I guess my dog remember him after 2 years or he really wanted a beer. My female standard poodle humps everything......but them she IS a poodle.

Guest KennelMom

none of ours will really mount unless a girl's in season. fortunately, no more girlies here can come in season!

I'd tell them to knock it off if they were mounting, esp out of dominance. I'd never let them think it's OK to mount a person.

blue, my male angel, would get excited and air-hump when the local farmer's female australian cattle dog, ruby, would wander by in season. he was neutered. neutering does not stop the production of testosterone by the adrenal glands which produce it in small quantities as compared to the removed testicles, but it's enough. it did stop him humping his bed tho.

p.s. - sam dog, my friend's lurcher who is intact could care less about ruby, even when she does the doggie equivalent of tearing off her clothes and jumping into bed with him shouting 'take me!'.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Summer and her 2 non-grey predecessors have never mounted anything. When I was a kid, our spayed female sheltie would mount your foot if you had your legs crossed and the top leg swinging. But there is a neutered male grey at playgroup who is more than willing to climb aboard anyone who will let him! And yes, I'd correct the behavior the same as I would any other undesirable behavior.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Kari :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We had a Greyhound BD party for a 12yo. About 18 hounds showed up. The former foster Dad of my hound was sitting on a blanket having a beer when all of a sudden my boy runs across the lawn and starts humping his head. I guess my dog remember him after 2 years or he really wanted a beer. My female standard poodle humps everything......but them she IS a poodle.

Oh my! I started to laugh out loud after I read your post! :D

Thank you for all your replies! I really hope our grey won't be a 'mounter' =/

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

Guest mbfilby

Thank you for all your replies! I really hope our grey won't be a 'mounter' =/

I am also wondering about morning pee, I heard that males mark much more than females so it kind of takes much longer for them to empty their bladder, I heard people saying that females are more easy that way etc. But I thought it was kind of a nonsense =P What are your thoughts?

We had a female that marked on walks, and one of our males must pee on top of the others' pee in the yard, but I've never noticed any other differences.

While intact males (all breeds) are more prone to marking, once neutered and house trained there are not usually any issues.

Guest KennelMom

all dogs can/will mark. I've never noticed a difference in male vs female with respect to emptying their bladders on a morning pee or any other pee during the day. Marking is usually only a few drops of pee anyway, so it doesn't take much....They'll even "mark" if nothing comes out so I'm not sure they ever intentionally leave something in the well, so to speak. I've found males easier to house-train than females. Plus you can belly band them as a safety precaution if you are traveling/staying at a hotel or at someone else's house.