I Miss Sleep!

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

Crate helped a lot last night. DIago would wake up and whine for a minute and settle right back down.... Best sleep Ive gotten in a few months! :wubsite:thumbs-up

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest verthib

Crate helped a lot last night. DIago would wake up and whine for a minute and settle right back down.... Best sleep Ive gotten in a few months! :wubsite:thumbs-up

Eventually you could try leaving the door open. We started with a crate in the bedroom too. Then after a week we left the door open. Another week later we just got rid of it.

Glad you got sleep!!!

Guest BlackandTan

Night 2 of the crate, :sleepy :sleepy he whined half of the night... Didnt acknowledge him until 5 am which is only a half our earlier than I get up... But i think he started around 2 and went all night..

Guest verthib

Night 2 of the crate, :sleepy :sleepy he whined half of the night... Didnt acknowledge him until 5 am which is only a half our earlier than I get up... But i think he started around 2 and went all night..

Ok I'm up with you. Gracie did some back tracking. She usually sleeps till 7. She started at 4 and I finally gave in at 4:30 because it's so unlike her. Sent her out and she immediately pooped then walked 2 steps and peed. Then ran full tilt into the house, up the stairs and leaped onto my bed. There she lays snoozing away. While I sit here wide awake. But at least she didn't start at 2. I keep checking your thread to see if you're making progress. Doesn't it feel like a new baby's in the house? No sleep, tired, grumpy, groggy? I promise, it'll all be worth it.

Guest BlackandTan

I really hope this works! We are going to try earplugs tonight and a long walk before bed, its hard to walk them in our neighborhood because there is no street lights and a lot of people basically let there dogs roam free :angryfire .

I will keep everyone posted on how tonight goes...

We had to do this with Hector just let him be noisy & learn it didn't work any more having ruled out other causes. As we've attached neighbours we struggled to stick to our guns for long enough, so shipped off to my dads detached place for the weekend. After this he was fine so i hope tonight you see an improvement.

Hattie ocasionally wakes us up far too early, sometimes its genuine reasons like cold, toilet or hunger, though some days she gets taken to go out and just wants to go on the sofa :rolleyes:

Guest mirthlesstroll

Diego may be waking because he's cold - mine wake up during the night if they're cold. Maybe you could try putting a t-shirt on him if you don't have jammies - tie a knot at the bottom of the shirt over his backbone to keep it from riding up when he lays down.

Guest BlackandTan

Last night turned the heat up a bit and the same thing started whining in the middle of the night, We have been ignoring him until 5 so hopefully it clicks in his head soon

Guest verthib

Last night turned the heat up a bit and the same thing started whining in the middle of the night, We have been ignoring him until 5 so hopefully it clicks in his head soon

Could it be that he's hungry? Does he have to pee? Is he missing your other grey? Does your other grey sleep in the same room? Is it too dark? We needed a nightlight for Angus otherwise he whines... now we got rid of it, but the first month or so we used one near his crate/bed. I'm just trying to think of all possibilities!!!!

Edited by verthib

Guest BlackandTan

There is 2 nightlights, Gary stays in the room with him in eye sight, the temp is 65 to 68 so I would imagine it should be warm enough, he's ALWAYS hungry lol and yes he does have to pee but he goes all day without going so he should be fine at night too??? :devilangel

Nixon is cold when our house is 68...he wears his fleece jammies pretty much 24/7.

He will wake me up if he is cold.

Do you have a little coat you can put on Diago?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest verthib

There is 2 nightlights, Gary stays in the room with him in eye sight, the temp is 65 to 68 so I would imagine it should be warm enough, he's ALWAYS hungry lol and yes he does have to pee but he goes all day without going so he should be fine at night too??? :devilangel

Sorry, but that's cold for a greyhound. Can you get him some Jammie's? They're worth it. Also do you give him a potty break right before bed?

Summer would be keeping me awake if that was the night temperature. Even if you don't have jammies for him, do you have a single-layer fleece sweater you could try to have him sleep in?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Saint woke me up between 4:00 - 5:00 every morning for 7 years and since his passing away on Saturday I am still waking up at 4:00. The only difference is the sound of his voice is missing. I guess he trained me well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BlackandTan

PJs ordered!!

Yayyyyyy. I will say a little prayer tonight that you get some sleep.

Thanks!!

Saint woke me up between 4:00 - 5:00 every morning for 7 years and since his passing away on Saturday I am still waking up at 4:00. The only difference is the sound of his voice is missing. I guess he trained me well.

I am so sorry to hear that :grouphug

Guest verthib

This past Saturday? Oh I'm so sorry!!

Guest PhillyPups

What is sleep? I have a few seniors that cannot hold it all night,I love them so much, me losing a little sleep is no big deal compared to their comfort. I have adjusted my schedule to them, I am up at 4-4:30 7 days a week. I know Moe can't hold it much past then. On weekends, I get them all out, sometimes I give them all a snack and go back to bed, or take a nap later in the day. It is a small price to pay for the love given forever.r

Personally, I would never "drug" a dog (and melatonin is a natural drug) for my own convenience. That is just me, and not a judgment call, just my personal choice.

When Gremlin was here, it was not unusual for her to wake me two or three times a night to go pee and she did not have a UTI, she was 13. What I would not give to have her back to wake me up. ~sigh~

Guest HyperJ83

I just posted about the same thing with one of my girls Lila! BUT when we ignore her, she pees! It's like she's mad at us for ignoring her. If we let her out at say 2:30am when she whines and we don't feed her, she paces and whines (sometimes pees) until we get up and feed her!

This past Saturday? Oh I'm so sorry!!

Yes, he has a thread in Remembrance.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My boy Kingman waits and watches and then follows me to the bedroom at night and stands next to his bed until I lift his blanket and cover him up. I can pretty much count on him getting up around 3AM to go out and pee (we have a dog door) and then he comes back in and starts by staring at me, then a low whine, then a bit louder and if I still don't wake up to cover him then he gives a single woof to wake me to cover him back up. Some nights he has to go pee more than once and we repeat the cycle. Does not seem to matter if he has jammies on or not. Thankfully he only does this in the winter. :lol

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Guest HyperJ83

I wouldn't give him the melatonin. This is a behavioral issue. Just ignore him and he'll stop.

I agree!

Just ignore him.

Don't say a word. Don't even look at him. That is acknowledging his bad behavior.

Just ignore him.

We've 'been there, done that' with more than one dog ....and I know how hard this is to do.

Please.... be patient.

Hello :)

I have the same problem, whining at 2:30-3am. Last night I ignored her, and as usual if she's ignored she pees! If we wake up and let her out but do not feed her, she pees! The only time she does not pee is if we wake up and feed her whenever she starts to whine at whatever time. She should not have to pee because we let her out at 11pm. Also, she goes all day without asking to go out. Very frustrated and need help. We have a baby on the way and want to fix this behavior before. Thank you!