What Did We Do?

Over the past year or so, we haven't been away much, or, if we have, we've been able to take Bella. In the past she's pretty happily gone to a kennel near our apartment which she seems to like, to the point of wanting to go in the door anytime we walk down the block.

This month has probably been tough on her, though. I was home quite a bit between Christmas and New Year's Eve, at which point we left for 5 nights and she was in the kennel. We came home for a couple of days, then DH left for a week-long business trip and my mom came and stayed. Then DH came home, mom left, we were both home for a week and then away for another 4 nights. From this last trip we got home late Tuesday, so picked her up Wednesday morning.

Ever since we got home from this last trip, she has been very shadow-y and clingy. She normally is pretty affectionate and wants to be in the same room, but this is exaggerated, to the point where we can't move without tripping over her. The thing that really is making me post here, however, is that last night before DH took her out for the last time, she squatted and peed on the bedroom rug right in front of me.

She learned houstraining pretty quickly, and only peed in the apartment a couple of times right after she came home, mostly due to us not understanding her signals, so this is very, very unusual. No signs of a UTI which I do watch carefully for, no chewing or other destructive behavior, just this peeing on the rug. Hopefully it's only the once.

I know I tend to anthropomorphize animals' behaviors a little (although I do know better) so I know that it's unlikely that she's "getting back" at us for going into the kennel. But, is it because her routine has been so drastically disrupted this month that she's unsettled? Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

It is exceedingly unlikely to be "getting back at" you but it quite well could be related to all the disruptions to your normal routines. Some dogs are just sensitive that way. If she is feeling anxious that can increase the feeling of an urgent need to urinate. Though if there is another accident in the house then a urinalysis at lease would be a good idea just to make sure. Assuming that were to come back negative, the best thing you can do is just get things back in the old routine if at all possible. Or try to get a new routine together & stick to it as much as possible. Good luck. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Guest Geostar

I would agree to Kudzu here. I don't believe that greys, or any dog breed, feels the need to 'get back at you for leaving me'. That reaction is a human trait. Dogs don't remember much in the 'past'..but, mostly live in the now. I do feel that she might have a slight infection or even crystals in her urine. I'd get her urine checked out. As far as being 'clingy' goes, these dogs can adjust their personality in being closer to you. Or, when she gets that way, she may be trying to tell you something..

Best of luck with her.

-star

I agree, she's not getting back at you, but she is likely feeling insecure from all the disruptions. Once you settle back into your normal routine, she'll also settle back to her normal behavior. No sweat. (Do get her checked for UTI's, though, as the others suggested.)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

This sounds all too familiar. Fenway is my sensitive soul and a similar thing happened a year ago. I had to go out of town for work and Grace hurt her paw, so she stayed with my parents while Fen stayed with DBF and his dog. The accidents started. When I returned home, it was only for a few days before DBF and I went on vacation. My brother and my roommate sit hound watching duties at my house, so Fen was in a familiar place with familiar people. The accidents continued. I returned home, our routine was back to normal, the accidents continued.

At that point I knew it was not behavioral so I headed down the medical exploration path. After a U/A and blood work we did a round of antibiotics before finally doing an ultrasound...which revealed "minor kidney damage of an unknown origin".

Bottom line: you know your dog best, do trust your gut. O e accident might be because Bella is out of sorts. More than that and I'd start down the medical testing path as well. Good luck.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BrianRke

Just my input: Diamond did this a few times. I contacted my animal communicator. She told me when Diamond pees in the floor she feels "dissed" and is asserting herself.

I sorta took that with a grain of salt until: one morning, Daytona and Frank were in the bed with me and they were fully stretched out. Diamond jumped up and realized there was no room for her and she jumped down, walked over to where I could see her, and squated/peed in the floor. SHe had just been out about an hour earlier so I know it wasnt out of necessity.

Oh, and she is house trained.

food for thought

OK, thanks all. I didn't really think that she's "getting back" at us - that was tongue-in-cheek :D

I had thought it was really about the disruptions to her routine and she's likely somewhat anxious because of that. Her urine output & pattern is otherwise normal, so I'll make sure to give her some extra care and routine the next few weeks. We're not traveling again anytime soon, so that will help!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

The thing that really is making me post here, however, is that last night before DH took her out for the last time, she squatted and peed on the bedroom rug right in front of me.

No signs of a UTI which I do watch carefully for, no chewing or other destructive behavior, just this peeing on the rug.

I have to agree with George...she IS dispaying signs of a UTI.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Just my input: Diamond did this a few times. I contacted my animal communicator. She told me when Diamond pees in the floor she feels "dissed" and is asserting herself.

I sorta took that with a grain of salt until: one morning, Daytona and Frank were in the bed with me and they were fully stretched out. Diamond jumped up and realized there was no room for her and she jumped down, walked over to where I could see her, and squated/peed in the floor. SHe had just been out about an hour earlier so I know it wasnt out of necessity.

Oh, and she is house trained.

food for thought

I'd "diss" that communicator and tell her/him to do her/his homework. It just grates on me that people like that, though well meaning, perpetuate this outdated, inaccurate analysis of dog behavior. Dogs don't act out of spite. Their brains aren't set up to think that way. This faulty thinking keeps dogs from being understood and helped properly.

Your dog likely peed for reasons called "displacement behavior" caused by conflicting emotions on that particular morning.

I just want to make clear I don't mean to criticize you, but instead people like this communicator who reach a lot of pet owners and therefore have the responsibility to make sure they're up to date. I'll shut up now.