Raw Pork

Guest ravenchilde

Guest ravenchilde

Hi all you Raw feeders.

What do you think about raw pork? I live in Canada and I don't know if it is safe to feed. Many web searches have indicated that it isn't a good idea because of worms and other parasites/bacterium.

Thoughts, ideas?

Guest KennelMom

The commercial/factory-farmed meat supply has been pretty well rid of parasites. You might have some concerns if you are feeding pork from a small, local farmer because they are probably free-ranging their animals and not giving them antibiotics.

Toxoplasmosis can be picked up from just about any kind of meat...as well as cats/cat poo, wild animals/feces and even fruit/veggies that came in contact with contaminated manure (and we all love our organic veggies these days!).

Trichinella is what most people are concerned with when it comes to raw pork...you will see more incidents of it in farm-raised pork vs factory-farmed pork.

Edited by KennelMom

Trichinella is what most people are concerned with when it comes to raw pork...you will see more incidents of it in farm-raised pork vs factory-farmed pork.

...and the incidents of it are so almost unheard of these days that the USDA recently lowered its suggest temp for cuts of pork for humans from 160 to 145.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

...and the incidents of it are so almost unheard of these days that the USDA recently lowered its suggest temp for cuts of pork for humans from 160 to 145.

Trichinella is the human tapeworm, so technically dogs shouldn't pick it up from raw pork. For all humans I would definitely stress proper cooking of pork. I've never had tapeworm but I don't think it's pleasant.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I forget the GT member's name but, there is a member that their Gh is blind due to toxo.

I've fed it to my boys. It was the only reasonably cheap meat that wasn't chicken that he could eat (highly allergic to chicken).

Both boys were fine for the few months we fed raw exclusively. I think Kasey got his appetite for food back once he started eating it. Pork heart was way too rich for both of them though, and they didn't tolerate it well. We fed pork belly. Also fed pork ribs for the bone portion again without any ill effects.

If you find a raw pork supplier, ask them what grade it is and where it's raised. I have a contact here in Ontario that can help answer general questions. Please PM me if you'd like.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yes, it was on the Tick List . If you are not a member, I suggest you join. They cover a lot of subjects (this was of course, OT) and they have the knowledge to back up their posts.

Aujeszky's disease AD

This started the discussion and then they moved to comments regarding feeding raw pork -- one of which was you should freeze pork at X # of degrees for 4 months and why.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits