Wild Salmon Oil Vs. Zinc

Guest mbfilby

Guest mbfilby

Myka has really dried up over the winter. The dryness, compounded with a recently discovered peanut allergy (peanut butter in kong) has dulled her coat considerably.

We buy premium grain free food from a small specialty store, and the food guy recommended either wild salmon oil, or zinc powder supplements.

Does anyone have experience with zinc powder and what are the opinions of one over the other?

Edited by mbfilby

Guest BrianRke

Wild salmon oil is really good for their skin and coat. Im not sure it is worth the extra cost. I believe any type of fish oil with a high EPA/DHA would be just as good.

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

I've never heard about zinc powder for their coat :dunno Im sure someone else on here has though.

Zinc most certainly be of benefit-- the local derm vet (and gh owner) has recommended zinc in the past (however/ I'm unaware for what condition is was prescribed).

Edited to add-- I would only give a supplement only as prescribed by a veterinary clinician. By doing so dosages and frequencys as well as your pets wellness can be monitored.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest mbfilby

Zinc most certainly be of benefit-- the local derm vet (and gh owner) has recommended zinc in the past (however/ I'm unaware for what condition is was prescribed).

Edited to add-- I would only give a supplement only as prescribed by a veterinary clinician. By doing so dosages and frequencys as well as your pets wellness can be monitored.

I agree. Most decent quality food has zinc added these days, and it is benificial to skin/ coat and immune system. From what I read (google Zinc supplement in dogs) northern breeds such as malamutes and huskies will particularly benefit. The issues I found is that over-supplementation interferes with calcium absorption. In 2008 the 9th most common cause of poisoning in dogs was from zinc, but this would be mostly from ingesting pennies, nuts and bolts etc. I would be leery now with greyhounds due to their unique systems.

Haven't read your link or Google search but am most glad you've brought it up. My understanding was that zinc supplementation is beneficial in certain cases related to a medical condition effecting the dog's ability to make use of zinc. (Or something like that which I cannot explain properly.) Skin issues from zinc deficiency can be from a poorly balanced diet. Also, as you mentioned, certain breeds may have higher needs of dietary zinc. I believe it is one of those substances that are much safer to supplement through diet rather than a nutriceutical pill or powder. I would be very hesitant to just add it hoping to improve dry skin.

My newly adopted girl is still flaky even after blowing her kennel coat. The other dogs seem fine. So I added fish oil for the new girl. Better but still flaky. Increased the fish oil. Even better but still flaky. Asked the vet. She asked when I'd started & then said give it another 6 weeks before I worry. It can take a long time to get full benefit. In just the last week her skin has improved some more. Still flaky but only a fraction of before.

Wild salmon oil has worked very well here. I tried feeding fish oil capsules (the same kind I take) from Sam's Club but for some reason that gave them the runs. So we went back to the salmon oil.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg