Ughhh Diago Ate A Cat Toy

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

I think Im going to have to throw out all of the cats toys or something, I was outside with the boys this morning and I have been monitoring Diago's bowel movments because the other day he ate a tiny, maybe 2 inch by 2 inch piece of a thin glove. So anyways I checked it out this morning and I noticed shiny blue tinsel like substance and it hit me it was a cat toy. I think the cats are bringing toys into the room where the boys stay during the day... Ill tell ya any thought of getting a puppy is LONG GONE because Diago is such a handful he trys to eat anything and everything :wacko::withstupid

Been there, done that, saw the colorful poo. We have a very strict rule that all cat toys must remain upstairs & out of the dog zone. The cats, unfortunately, did not get the memo.

I did actually manage to try the prime toy eating offender to trade cat toys for a treat. So it became a morning ritual for her to search the floor for any toys the cats had knocked downstairs. She'd retrieve them & bring them to me for her reward. It became a very cute & useful trick.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Not to be an alarmist, but if your boy is eating inapropriate things, my strong suggestion would be that he needs to be muzzled when left alone (with stool guard), and never allowed toys when unatended. The reason I say this is because I had a foster that nearly died from an intestinal blockage. We didnt know that he ate an entire "flat toy" and it became lodged in his small intestine. He also was able to eat a sock in less than 3 minutues through a muzzle when I was going to the bathroom (thats why I say stool guard on muzzle as well).

Chad

Guest KennelMom

Toys are put away when we can't be there to monitor...helps avoid fights and keeps things from being eaten that shouldn't be. If you have a toy eater, even monitoring them can prove difficult. Tater pulled this off a stuffy and downed it in just a few seconds..and there's a hard plastic squeaky in there too:

4071501927_4bb2b66694.jpg

p.s. I'd never leave a hound unattended w/a stool guarded muzzle on. The risk of suffocation should they vomit into the muzzle is not one I'm willing to take. I pulled a dog off a hauler that had been traveling with a stool guarded muzzle and she vomited...lucky for her she was able to get her muzzle off b/c that stool guard was FULL of vomit. She absolutely would have died if it hasn't come off. The hauler went pale and couldn't believe he didn't notice the stool guard when he loaded her up.

We had a foster pass from a blockage...he'd chewed up and eaten his crate carpet at the track (we never used carpet in our kennel crates so we know it happened before he arrived). You never know what these guys will eat if given the chance. When you know you have a garbage disposal hound, you always have to be on the lookout for anything they might eat.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest verthib

I think Im going to have to throw out all of the cats toys or something, I was outside with the boys this morning and I have been monitoring Diago's bowel movments because the other day he ate a tiny, maybe 2 inch by 2 inch piece of a thin glove. So anyways I checked it out this morning and I noticed shiny blue tinsel like substance and it hit me it was a cat toy. I think the cats are bringing toys into the room where the boys stay during the day... Ill tell ya any thought of getting a puppy is LONG GONE because Diago is such a handful he trys to eat anything and everything :wacko::withstupid

I have two greys and two cats. My cats have a ton of toys. Where my greys are gated while I'm gone the cats can't get into to bring toys in. I would never trust my greys alone all day while I'm at work with access to the cats. Can't you just keep the cats from going into the dog room so no toys will be brought in?? It's not really fair to the cats to get rid of all their toys. Both species need toys and enrichment.

Guest BrianRke

Toys are put away when we can't be there to monitor...helps avoid fights and keeps things from being eaten that shouldn't be. If you have a toy eater, even monitoring them can prove difficult. Tater pulled this off a stuffy and downed it in just a few seconds..and there's a hard plastic squeaky in there too:

4071501927_4bb2b66694.jpg

p.s. I'd never leave a hound unattended w/a stool guarded muzzle on. The risk of suffocation should they vomit into the muzzle is not one I'm willing to take. I pulled a dog off a hauler that had been traveling with a stool guarded muzzle and she vomited...lucky for her she was able to get her muzzle off b/c that stool guard was FULL of vomit. She absolutely would have died if it hasn't come off. The hauler went pale and couldn't believe he didn't notice the stool guard when he loaded her up.

We had a foster pass from a blockage...he'd chewed up and eaten his crate carpet at the track (we never used carpet in our kennel crates so we know it happened before he arrived). You never know what these guys will eat if given the chance. When you know you have a garbage disposal hound, you always have to be on the lookout for anything they might eat.

:puke Which end did that come out? Im assuming it was thrown up...

Guest zombrie

If it makes you feel better, my golden used to eat EVERYTHING. Plastic, socks, gloves, stuffies, etc. At 4 years old he has finally stopped :rolleyes: The best advice I can give is don't leave anything on the floor :lol

Guest BlackandTan

If it makes you feel better, my golden used to eat EVERYTHING. Plastic, socks, gloves, stuffies, etc. At 4 years old he has finally stopped :rolleyes: The best advice I can give is don't leave anything on the floor :lol

Yah!! I think we had it way to easy with Gary so we're being punished lol.. BTW Congrats, I told Gary his future girlfriend is coming north and he licked me lol!

Edited by BlackandTan

Guest KennelMom

Greyhounds...they lure you in with the perfect first one, then the second one lowers the boom :lol

BrianRke - that was vomited up. We actually had a pretty in depth discussion when it happened on whether to induce vomiting or wait and see. I would typically tell people NOT to induce vomiting if the object is a choking hazard and that is usually the advice we follow ourselves. But, because the squeaker was so hard/dense AND this dog has a history of vomiting non-food stuffs back up anyway, we decided we'd take our chances and induce vomiting so at least we'd be present in case she started choking.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest verthib

Of course you will. :)

But my philosophy is that the cats were here first so I gate the dogs not the cats. Also it's easier to gate the dogs in one room and 'dog proof' that room, than it is to dog proof the whole house. It's all kind of a pain to have both cats and dog's though. :lol

Dogs love to eat cat toys. I would suggest keeping them out of your hound's reach at all times. It is a good idea to keep dogs and cats separated when you can't immediately supervise. My cats have the master bedroom to themselves when unsupervised. All of their toys and essentials are in there. When I can supervise they mingle, but I don't let the cats bring their toys out of the bedroom.

Here's why. Believe it or not, the object on the right once closely resembled the toy on the left.

CatToy.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Well I am kind of jealous that your cats even play with toys. I have three cats and they could care less about their toys. I have tried all kinds, even motorized ones. They spend more time laying in the windows watching the world go by and chasing each other. The only thing that they show any interest are their scratch posts.

On the other hand, I guess I should be happy that they don't have the toys, so the dogs don't eat them.

He's probably going to be just fine. The thing about most cat toys is that these are usually small enough & soft enough that they are less likely to cause problems than many other eaten objects. Not saying they can't or won't cause problems ever but in general I believe them less likely. However, we had one type that had an electronic noise maker that squeaked when it was touched. And of course that was the dog's mostest, fravoritest, bestest ever cat toy. She snagged it any time she could. Thankfully her entire behavior & body language changed when she did that. She was in prey/hunt mode & gave herself away so we could always check her. Still, that toy quickly became one for supervised play only & was hidden in a drawer any other times to stop the thievery.

Later I stuffed that toy into a sock & it became an uber special reward for agility training. :lol