Worms?

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

alright, so i thought it was just glider and his high metabolism but now im starting to think different...

glider was under weight when i got him for obvious reasons, getting neutered, coming off the track only 3 months ago and all the moving he did, so i took him to the vet for a check up and a heartworm test. My vet said he needed to gain 10lbs, fair enough. we have him on a very high quality food thats high in calories we were giving him the correct amount of food twice a day for the weight we needed him to be at which was 75lbs (glider is a big grey) and nothing so i called the vet she said to up it so we did too the next gap which was for 95lbs still nothing, he has only gained 4lbs and this dog is SO food driven its a little out of control he will chase you down for any food, and even if someone even walks to the kitchen to get a drink he will run as fast as he can to the kitchen to beg for food.

one night he even got into the food bag which then we put it into a plastic container with a lid and he got into it he also will eat a whole bone in on sitting.

everyone jokes and says "does your dog have worms?! he never stops eating!" i use to laugh and say oh no he doesnt, but now im kinda starting to think to myself if he does...

is this behavior just a grey thing or should i worry?!

For Bu to gain the 15 pounds he needed when I adopted him he needed to eat about 9 coups of food a day. To maintain it he eats about 6 cups a day. Some dogs have crazy high metabolism, just like people. But, worms are a possibility. Many dogs come off the track with intestinal parasites. Bring a fecal sample to the vet and have them test for them. Just remember that if the test comes back negative he can still have worms.

How much does he weigh now? Can you post a picture? His racing weight was @ 67 lbs. so 75 lbs. may be a bit over for him. Some young dogs run lean, and some dogs won't gain weight the first 6 months or so in a home, no matter what you feed them. I've also found that some foods don't go through the dog the way their calorie counts imply .......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had a foster that was dropping weight but a maniac about food. I started watching his poo, and sure enough, found a tapeworm. De-wormed him and noticed a difference in him right away.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest verthib

To play it safe de-worm him. Keep in mind tapeworms are rare to pick up on a fecal sample- use a de-wormer appropriate for tapes too.

Do you know if Panacur works on tape worms?

alright, so i thought it was just glider and his high metabolism but now im starting to think different...

glider was under weight when i got him for obvious reasons, getting neutered, coming off the track only 3 months ago and all the moving he did, so i took him to the vet for a check up and a heartworm test. My vet said he needed to gain 10lbs, fair enough. we have him on a very high quality food thats high in calories we were giving him the correct amount of food twice a day for the weight we needed him to be at which was 75lbs (glider is a big grey) and nothing so i called the vet she said to up it so we did too the next gap which was for 95lbs still nothing, he has only gained 4lbs and this dog is SO food driven its a little out of control he will chase you down for any food, and even if someone even walks to the kitchen to get a drink he will run as fast as he can to the kitchen to beg for food.

one night he even got into the food bag which then we put it into a plastic container with a lid and he got into it he also will eat a whole bone in on sitting.

everyone jokes and says "does your dog have worms?! he never stops eating!" i use to laugh and say oh no he doesnt, but now im kinda starting to think to myself if he does...

is this behavior just a grey thing or should i worry?!

Worms could be an option but It took Angus nearly 5 months to gain 4-5 lbs. I don't think three months is enough time. Give it time, it's not urgent.

Edited by verthib

Guest KennelMom

To play it safe de-worm him. Keep in mind tapeworms are rare to pick up on a fecal sample- use a de-wormer appropriate for tapes too.

When in doubt, de-worm.

And, some dogs are just thin. Especially in his younger days, we couldn't put weight on Prajna to save our lives. The more you fed him, the more he'd poop out. We had the best luck putting weight on him with "real food"...anything but kibble. But he was always very thin/bony until he hit about 10 and his metabolism finally slowed down a touch as we were able to soften up those bony edges.

Guest ashphobiax

this is the day he got to his foster home 11/17/2011

387287_10150402906699660_756519659_8197896_1828585887_n.jpg

this is him as of 5 seconds ago, please excuse the horrible picture hes attached at the hip with me so its really hard to take a picture of him 1/25/12

426378_2525842993037_1462260096_32002658_1043001800_n.jpg

i think im worried about him being SO SO SO SO food driven...

Edited by ashphobiax

He looks fine to me, but asking the vet for a fecal test and wormer can't hurt. ;-) I wouldn't stress out about his weight though.

I think he looks fine, too but agree that it certainly wouldn't hurt to give him a de-wormer.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

He looks fine to me too & so kewt wif his munkee collar! wub.gif I have an active girlie who I really haven't been able to put weight on until recently & I've had her for almost a year. Interesting that she did have a fairly stubborn case of hookworm but that was cleared months ago. Anyway, definitely worth worming him again but I wouldn't worry so much about his weight.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ThunderPaws

He's cute! I would put 5 pounds on him, no more, and he'll look great.

You can order cheap Drontal Plus wormer online, no prescription needed.

When Idol came to live with us, he was fairly skinny. No matter how much I fed him, he didn't gain weight and he had very soft bowel movements. Yep. He had hookworms. After a couple of rounds of Panacur, he rather suddenly gained enough weight to look sleek, not bony and I had to cut back on his food.

Guest verthib

Some dogs, not just greys, think that life revolves around food and only food and don't even think it needs to be chewed. If bring food driven is your only concern, I wouldn't be to worried.

I agree. Angus acts like we never feed him. He's desperate for food and treats. Yet he gets 5 cups of food and numerous treats throughout the day. Being very food driven doesn't necessarily mean the dog is not eating enough or has worms. But deworming can't hurt.

He looks absolutely fine to me. Please don't put another ten - or even five - pounds on him or he'll be fat, and a fat greyhound is just wrong.

If your vet is still insisting that he needs more weight, I'm really surprised and saddened. If it were me, I'd either ignore the advice or find another vet.

Your dog is not skinny! This dog is skinny!

RangerChristmas2011-800.jpg

My vet and I are a tad concerned about his weight, but are coming to the conclusion that this is just the way he is. Some greyhounds you simply can't put weight on for love nor money, just as KennelMom said.

As for being food-driven, well .. after you've checked out Glider's general health and wormed him a couple of times, give three cheers! He'll be a dream to train! ;)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest KsFrets

Lisa was skinny like this. at 4 cups a day + treats she wouldn't gain weight. She wasn't super skinny, but wasn't healthy looking either. We dismissed it as her natural physique... until one day we saw what looked like rice crispies in her poo... and they were wiggling ... GROSSS OUT!!!! :repuke a goggle search and I learned all about tape worms, and we took her to the vet to make sure that was all she had (and it was). After treating her for the tape worms (pill) she started gaining weight immediately, and has looked great ever since.

Not a very good photo, but the only one we have showing her hips and tuck before worming

7512-212210552010.jpg

Edited by KsFrets

Oh, and don't forget: you won't put weight on some dogs without a good amount of exercise, or if you do, it's going to be fat, not muscle.

I don't know how much exercise he's getting, but some will need at least 30 minutes of fast walking twice a day before they'll begin to bulk up. For others, this would be torture. Depends so much on the individual!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop