Lick Lick Licking

I've been a little worried about Z for a while now. He started dragging on walks, and then I noticed that he was licking his front legs a lot when we were hanging out on the couch. He dislocated a toe later last year so I figured that was the issue, but I took him in for x-rays to be safe. We only x-rayed his left front leg as that's the leg that had the dislocation and also the one he seemed to be licking the most. X-rays were clean, no signs of osteo or any developing arthritis.

Dragging on walks continued so a little over a week ago I restarted his Deramaxx, which he had been on for a time after the dislocation. That seems to have helped on walks, but the licking continues. It isn't always the same leg, seems like lately it can be either front leg, anywhere from the elbow down to the wrist. Occasionally he licks a bit on a back leg, but mostly it's the front legs. The vet also suggested the possibility of an allergy, but I didn't think that was likely given that he has no history of them (he's 7 and I've had him 5 years) and especially now that the weather has changed (I would assume that an allergy that affected his paws/legs would be seasonal).

So what's up? I don't see any reason for a behavioral change that would cause this. The only thing that's really changed in this time frame is Violet and he seems to enjoy having her around. And I haven't changed his diet, supplements, anything that would cause any sort of issue like this. He's not itchy, so I think it's either pain or self-soothing, but I don't see a source for the former (especially with the Deramaxx on board) nor a reason for the latter. I haven't noticed any other changes in his behavior except that he seems more lethargic lately. Although lethargic isn't right, he's still happy to go for walks, and plays at his usual times, I just notice that he doesn't need as much exercise any more. I've been calling him my old man even though he's only 7 (and he's always been my puppyish boy). :( Any ideas? :dunno

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think you've ruled out all of my first thoughts, Jen.

A few of my dogs do the licking from time to time and I've never been able to figure out why. Skimmie is SUPER weird in that he will eat hair...so he licks the couch sometimes, and tries to catch the hair in the air when I furminate Carrie outside :lol On occasion Fritz will lick my tile floor for seemingly no reason. I think mine are just weirdos, but I would be suspicious too if the behavior was accompanied by a perceived lack of energy.

Have you done bloodwork? Full thyroid panel? I am grasping at straws but I have seen some pretty odd behaviors come from thyroid issues.

Does he seem to be more "drooly" (for lack of a better term :lol) than normal?

Hoping someone else might have some ideas for you...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jen, I feel your pain. Mandy started licking her front legs about a year ago and slowed down noticeably. She concentrated on her shoulders, but would also do her wrists. I had Dr. Kellogg do a couple of sets of x-rays on both legs as we were both concerned about...well, you know what. Nothing showed on the x-rays. We tried NSAIDs, which helped a bit with her limping, but didn't slow down the licking. I also talked with Dr. Kocen at Southpaws, who adjusted her acupuncture to help relieve the obvious tension in her front end. That helped some, but not completely. Because Mandy was also showing some hind end weakness, Dr. Kellogg suggested that I try working with Carol Wasmucky, the PT. Carol was able to isolate which muscles were causing her the pain and we now do exercises to help along with cold packs, a TENS unit (that I already had), and massage. I have noticed a difference. She's 11.5 years old, so she's still a bit slow at times, but she seems more comfortable. The licking has also been reduced dramatically, which is a good thing; that slurping sound makes me want to scream. When I reported the positive changes to Dr. Kellogg, her response was "Carol's hands can work magic."

If you wanted to look at a possible environmental factor, like a grass allergy, the first thing I would do is to start carefully wiping his legs down with sensitive skin baby wipes after every trip outside. That would help reduce any allergens that remain on the skin. We had to do that with our family's dog when I was in high school. It didn't stop the issue, but it helped.

Good luck in getting Zuri more comfortable.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Geostar

I would say that the grey has an allergy. Our first grey used to lick her paws and I'd give her a dose of children's allergy medication and that helped. As your vet which would be helpful for your grey and how much.

-star

Could be nerve impingement making his leg "fall asleep". My former neighbor's greyhound Zoey had that and it presented as licking non-stop on the front legs. She had a bunch of tests run and I think they managed to isolate it to the cervical vertebrae. Malinda was a big help - I think she responded will to chiropractic. If you get rads done and can't figure it out, try acupuncture or chiro. I think you've got Malinda's contact info and she does house calls :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Have you recently washed bedding, or gotten new furnature or carpet?

Nope.

I really don't think this is an allergy, but I could try a course of Zyrtec to rule it out I guess. Definitely no thyroid issue, he has absolutely no signs of it.

I was thinking about just calling Malinda (she's the chiropractor that turbotaina referred to), but with the improvement with the Deramaxx had sort of dropped that idea. The only other thing I can think of is that even though I haven't seen him visibly limping from his toe, that his gait has maybe been a bit off and thrown things out of whack. It wouldn't hurt I guess to start with Malinda since she does house calls and isn't too pricey. :dunno

Meredith, if his legs were falling asleep, I would think I would notice other signs of that - like when he gets up, don't you think? Although I will add that the other day I thought he looked like he was walking a bit funny as we got up to go out for our walk, so I was careful taking him down the stairs and he was fine once we were outside. But on the way in (can't remember if it was the same walk or one shortly after) he tripped majorly starting to go up the stairs. After he recovered, he was fine. So maybe you're on to something? Is that something that would develop slowly?

Bev, thanks for mentioned Carol too. I'll definitely keep her in mind.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh Meredith, hadn't thought of that. Thanks, that helps me too - might mean that Fritz is due to go into the chiro.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not necessarily falling alseep, but causing a pins & needles sensation, know what I mean? I can still use my hand if it's like that, but it's annoying and if I were a dog, I might want to lick it :lol That was the vet's best guess at what was going on with Zoey (and it was actually your vet, irrc :) ). I don't know what sort of imaging was done - I can't remember if Sue did an MRI or what, but Malinda did help. Anyway, worth a shot.

I don't think Zoey continues to get chiro, I think Sue just manages her by walking her with a harness instead of a collar, etc. I haven't spoken to Sue in a few years now, but M&Mdogs is her sister, so she might know more.

As to whether or not it was something slow to develop, I really don't know. Zoey has always been the slowest greyhound on the planet, but I think it was the non-stop licking that made Sue go looking for answers. Poor dog actually gave herself a lick granuloma, too.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks. This licking isn't *that* bad, which is what made me hold off on even asking about it until now. It's not obsessive in any way. He will generally stop if I "ask" him to by distracting him, sometimes I have to interrupt another time or two before he'll quit, but he's not overly persistent. I don't know, maybe in his old age he just likes to groom himself a bit more. :P

Maybe I'll keep a journal for a few days, and then do a trial of Zyrtec to rule out allergies. If he's still licking them, I'll call Malinda. I just don't want to go on a wild goose chase if there's nothing actually wrong with him. :dunno

Edited by NeylasMom

• 1 year later...
Guest Magmel

Hi NeylasMom,

My 9 year old Hulk has just started acting similarily to your boy. He is a bit lazier, but still goes for walks, jumps into the car, on the bed, will take the stairs, etc. and he also sometimes licks his front legs, but also not obsessively. How is Zuri doing now and what did you do to help him feel better?

Thanks!

My girl has been licking her feet this summer-I have dwindled it down to allergies. It was so bad she was licking holes in between her toes. I started to wash her feet with a medicated shampoo (Ketachlor) and the licking stopped immediately. She's never had allergies before.

Parts of the map at www.pollen.com are bright red right now (and Massachusetts is one of them). The main culprit is ragweed, which is killing me, even though the map says our levels are good. (Our levels may be good. My sinuses are not.)

Benadryl is my friend. And when Silver starts to get obsessive about licking her feet, it's her friend, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hi NeylasMom,

My 9 year old Hulk has just started acting similarily to your boy. He is a bit lazier, but still goes for walks, jumps into the car, on the bed, will take the stairs, etc. and he also sometimes licks his front legs, but also not obsessively. How is Zuri doing now and what did you do to help him feel better?

Thanks!

For us, it turned out it was most likely a symptom of his developing LS (lumbosacral stenosis). We did PT to help with that and haven't had the licking since.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly