Jimmy Continues To Struggle

Well, the clavamox is apparently rough on the GI track.

Yes it is. sad.gif Are you giving it with food? That might help. How often do you have to give it? Probiotics would be very helpful to repopulate his gut with good bacteria but they have to be given hours away from the clavamox, preferably on an empty stomach. That will help with diarrhea. If his stomach hurts, then pepcid & sucralfate would help. Poor Jimmy - hang in there buddy! kiss1.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is. sad.gif Are you giving it with food? That might help. How often do you have to give it? Probiotics would be very helpful to repopulate his gut with good bacteria but they have to be given hours away from the clavamox, preferably on an empty stomach. That will help with diarrhea. If his stomach hurts, then pepcid & sucralfate would help. Poor Jimmy - hang in there buddy! kiss1.gif

I am giving the clavamox with food. I am glad you said not to give it within hours of a probiotic. I have been giving Jimmy nonfat plain yogurt (for the probiotic properties and because he will eat it). I will have to adjust when I am giving him the yogurt so it is not close to when I give him his clavamox(which is twice daily).

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I can't help but wonder if anyone has cultured the poop. Jimmy would have gotten antibiotics after his surgery, as my Spencer did after a dental a few years back. This antibiotic (clindamycin) upset the balance of bacteria in his intestines, which became then a case of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). Not saying that's what's happening here. But you might keep it in mind if things don't straighten out pretty soon. Sometimes we find one thing wrong and think we've found It, only to later find there was another thing going on too that we missed.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am giving the clavamox with food. I am glad you said not to give it within hours of a probiotic. I have been giving Jimmy nonfat plain yogurt (for the probiotic properties and because he will eat it). I will have to adjust when I am giving him the yogurt so it is not close to when I give him his clavamox(which is twice daily).

To really get a probiotic benefit, you need capsules. Yogurt wouldn't have enough good bugs to offset the killing power of the clavamox. So I would continue the yogurt since he likes it & get some capsules from the health food store.

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the probiotic capsules and will start them tonight before bed. I will ask our vet about carafate tomorrow. I am thankful that Jimmy is sleeping comfortably right now. Thanks again for all your help.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full. We are back in town. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I wish I had a positive update to share. You would think five days on clavamox would have taken care of the fever but it has not. Our vet has added doxy and prednisone to his medications. I know that the prednisone will at least help increase his appetite.

Hopefully I can post a better update this weekend.

Continued good thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was afraid to announce the good news too soon but Jimmy has been fever free since last night!!! It looks like adding the doxy knocked out the bacterial infection and the prednisone is helping with appetite and increased activity level. I know we still have a long way to go but Jimmy is comfortable, cool, eating and his helicopter tail is returning. Thanks for all your good wishes!

That's a good update. :colgate Continued good thoughts for sweet Jimmy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful news! clap.gif (I lub doxy. smile.gif) Atta boy Jimmy! thumbs-up.gif

:clap wonderful news

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

YAYYYY Jimmy!!!! Rocket sends a HIGH FOUR !!!!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:yay

And :goodluck for continued recovery. Quickly and smoothly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Way to go Jimmy! and keep up the helicopter tail!

Now you can breath a bit easier too and maybe catch up on some rest.

Still sending good thoughts and prayers! :hope