Cracking Paw Pads

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

Our new greys pads on his feet are so dry I noticed today in the snow they were bleeding. He has 4 cracks that we could find. Is there anything that we can put on the pads to make them softer? My fingers crack in the winter and that hurts so much so his feet must really hurt. He didn't even want to walk for a potty later in the day. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

nancy al star and jimmy!

Boots. And bagbalm or Mushers Secret.

GEM also has Pawz for sale.

However, being a Florida gal, I really have no idea. :dunno

You probably want to heed the advice of the experienced cold-weathers owners. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest verthib

I don't recommend boots. They're generally not that comfortable. We use bag balm every night and then put toddler socks on their feet. They wake up with softer pads the more we do it. Keep at it every night for at least a week then you can go to three tines a week.

Guest starr511

I'll stop at Walmart and pick up some bag balm along with some toddler socks. He is going to look so cute. :huh If he takes the socks off and licks the bag balm will that hurt him? I noticed that Drs. Foster and Smith have a product called Tender Feet and Mushers Secret. Anyone try either of these? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+20817+10119&pcatid=10119

Thanks for the advise.

nancy

We do the Bag Balm + baby socks with Pinky for her paw pads. She feels pretty special :) Here she is last winter, hanging out in her socks :heart

383572637.jpg

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest verthib

I'll stop at Walmart and pick up some bag balm along with some toddler socks. He is going to look so cute. :huh If he takes the socks off and licks the bag balm will that hurt him? I noticed that Drs. Foster and Smith have a product called Tender Feet and Mushers Secret. Anyone try either of these? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+20817+10119&pcatid=10119

Thanks for the advise.

nancy

It shouldn't harm him. We do it right before bed when he's laying on his bed. Then we cover his legs with a blanket. By morning his socks are off but the bag balm has had time to absorb.

It won't hurt him. Pinky ate almost a whole tin of it once :puke I had left it on the end table and she opened it while I was at work and licked it clean :blink: She has a pretty strong stomach so we didn't have any problems. If he licks it off of his feet that's not really enough to cause an issue of any sort. Especially if he's wearing socks. I secure Pinky's with the little Velcro strips that you can buy at OfficeMax for organizing computer cords, and then I fold the top of the sock down over the Velcro strip :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

It won't hurt him. Pinky ate almost a whole tin of it once :puke I had left it on the end table and she opened it while I was at work and licked it clean :blink: She has a pretty strong stomach so we didn't have any problems. If he licks it off of his feet that's not really enough to cause an issue of any sort. Especially if he's wearing socks. I secure Pinky's with the little Velcro strips that you can buy at OfficeMax for organizing computer cords, and then I fold the top of the sock down over the Velcro strip :)

Great suggestion. Probably better than the hot glue I tried. ;):lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

:lol

To be clear, I do not Velcro anything TO Pinky herself :lol.

Those strips work great that I what. Use when I need to put socks on the pups

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08