Moping And Not Eating

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

The people from the rescue came out to the house and brought the paperwork for Enzo yesterday and visited. He remembered them and was excited to see them and get loved on by more people. He was obviously well cared for by them. He was with her in her home for awhile but had been in a foster home for 8 months before coming to us.

Last night and today he is moping about didn't eat dinner or breakfast today. I am going to get him out for a walk this afternoon and see if I can perk him up.

Any suggestions?

Guest Eyeblaura

Just so sad to see him sad. He's been with us for 3 weeks now and really been doing so great and now he seems depressed. Hoping he snaps out of it quickly.

Guest Geostar

Just interact with him more. Talk to him, pet him, groom him, toss toys for him, take him out on walks or for a ride in the car. Let him know he IS special. It is normal for him to be that way. Our recent greyhound, Maria, was a return. When we brought her home as a foster, she kept going to the front door or our home looking for her previous owners. We ignored her concern as it was natural for her. We knew in time she would 'come around. And..she did.

Best wishes..

-star

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks for the tips, he has nibbled on food this afternoon and is drinking normally so I am happy to see that. I guess I am just surprised by his reaction as he hadn't spent any significant time with them for months but he obviously remembered and loved (and was loved) by them. He was so excited when they walked in the door yesterday. I'm sure he'll come around.

Perhaps in a corner of his mind he's afraid he's going to lose you too, just like them. The first time we took our first grey to the vet, his nose started dripping; the vet explained that it was anxiety, that he was afraid I was going to leave him. (Well, the place had that institutional vibe with which he was most familiar, so I can understand why he feared that.) Just keep loving on your boy until he realizes that he's in his forever home. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went on a nice walk tonight and my youngest treated him to some of her cheddar bunnies snack (which they both loved). He ate all his dinner and while we were upstairs putting the girls to bed he was busy running around downstairs with the squeakiest toy he owns. I gave him some chicken jerky in his holee roller ball and some extra loving and he is now conked out. So he is definitely perkier tonight.

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks, he seems to be back to his perky self this morning running zoomies in the yard and playing with his toys. He is usually most playful in the morning so it is good to see him wagging his tail again.

Guest Geostar

Awwwww..hugs to your boy! I'm glad to hear that. Let me add, that when friends come to our home, our greys sometimes greet them as long last family members..LOL So, don't be disturbed should he also greet your friends that way. As time goes on, he'll bond more and more to you.. Keep in mind, though, that it is better to have a friendly grey than one which isn't.

Continue to have sheer joy with him...as I'm happy for you!

-star

I wouldn't put too much worry into it. Dogs are goofy - greys are goofier. Our best bet, as humans, is to roll with most of it, deal with some of it. We'll never understand all of their quirks. If we help, and it works out, or they work it out themselves, it's fine.

Don't spend emotional energy on stuff that you'll never understand. You're not a dog.

Edited by sobesmom