Muttluk Boots Problem

Josie

I got Otis nice muttluck boots, medium size.

I notice that it's not a good design for greyhound (well for Otis)!

He gets sores on the top of his knucles that bleeds... on the inside of the boot there's a seam...

:(

anyone alse have this situation before?

those are not cheap boots!!! :angryfire

guess I'll get back to the cheap wallmart ones :(

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I don't know the design of these boots, but what comes to mind is turning them inside out, and glueing some soft fleece along the seam

where his toes rub. Sometimes the boots are too stiff to turn inside out, but getting some soft cushion on the seam would

be the first thing i'd do.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My boys wear Muttluks, but I don't recall they getting abrasions where Otis has them. Certainly they have not bled. I wonder if you you are one size, or maybe two sizes too small? I'll check what size my boys have when I get home. What about putting Vaseline on his abrasion before putting the boot back on the foot? You shouldn't if it is still an open wound, and I don't know if you should put the wounded foot back in a boot.

To be honest, they haven't worn them yet this year, so I'm thinking back to last year. I know the only rough part they have is that wearing the boots puts pressure on their nails to go against their toes and the skin there gets red, but that's about it to be honest.

I made the move to Muttluks FROM Therapaws...which actually hurt Kasey even though they were an expensive and phenomenal boot.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest BiancasMom

What about putting a baby sock on first before the boot? I also just ordered the boots from Voyagers after paying mega bucks for Neopaws that don't really fit a greyhound paw.

What about putting a baby sock on first before the boot? I also just ordered the boots from Voyagers after paying mega bucks for Neopaws that don't really fit a greyhound paw.

ugh - we LOVE, LOVE Neopaws!!! i was going to suggest them, but thought a sock or other fleece at the seam would be better short term fix.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

perhaps you could use Dr Scholls moleskin to line the area of the seam. It's what I use on my hounds muzzles for the part that fits over their noses.

Desi has a set of Muttluks and I know exactly that seam of which you speak. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine why

they made them that way....would you wear a pair of shoes that had a big nasty rough seam rubbing your toes?

We got a couple pairs of fleece socks with velcro from DogBooties.com, and that has helped immensely, but I can tell

they still bother him. Toddler socks work, too, but I have to tape them on around his ankle, and that is a PITA.

FWIW, his muttluks are larges, too.

He wears PawTectors the most, because they are totally waterproof, but they are stiffer, and rub bald spots of the top

of his gnarly toe knuckles where they rub when his foot bends. So now he wears "socks" in them too.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I have a set of those boots--for my old dog (he had foot surgery and I had to keep his foot clean). They never bothered him a bit. I guess his skin was just tough enough!

I bet the baby sock would work! Great idea.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck