A Beginning.

Guest irrationalrat

Guest irrationalrat

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! I love to see such enthusiastic owners (or own-ees?).

And welcome from Sacramento. There are several adoption groups here in this area. I volunteer with Wine Country Greyhound Adoptions. The group is actually based in Santa Rosa but we have quite a large group of adopters in this area. We have Meet & Greets at least twice a month at different locations and would love to have you stop by.

I would love to stop by a Meet and Greet! The rescue that I had previously talked to was the Golden State Greyhound group, but I will check your group out as well— I'll try and stop by one of next month's Meet & Greets. :) How does your group ensure a good match between dog/owner?

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! I love to see such enthusiastic owners (or own-ees?).

And welcome from Sacramento. There are several adoption groups here in this area. I volunteer with Wine Country Greyhound Adoptions. The group is actually based in Santa Rosa but we have quite a large group of adopters in this area. We have Meet & Greets at least twice a month at different locations and would love to have you stop by.

I would love to stop by a Meet and Greet! The rescue that I had previously talked to was the Golden State Greyhound group, but I will check your group out as well— I'll try and stop by one of next month's Meet & Greets. :) How does your group ensure a good match between dog/owner?

All of our available greyhounds are placed with foster families so that we can learn as much as possible about their personalities, their ability to live with cats and/or smaller dogs,etc. This way we can match, as much as possible, the best greyhound to your lifestyle and preferences.

Welcome and Congrats on school. Once you have your first grey you will always think what took me so long, Our first Grey was 3 years old and she was a shy scary little girl, it took her 3 months to come to us when we called her, now she is 8 1/2 and she is still shy around strangers but loves us very much, she lets us know when she wants something and when she wants to be cuddled. We adopted a senior brood momma 18 months after our first one. We had her for 3 wonderful years. She was nine when we got her and she was a total joy, after she passed we adopted a big goofy boy who is 9 and we also had a foster for 4 months. When you decide which grey is right for you just remember we are here for you and someone will always be ready to help with advice and answers to your questions.

Just a tiny word of advice about something that might be missed. A GH can be totally cat safe inside (and there are tons of photos to prove it), but not so cat safe outside.

Also, might want to check out the various threads about food. I'm sure any help during school days will be greatly appreciated, but afterwards, you might want to transition your dog to another food.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest irrationalrat

Just a tiny word of advice about something that might be missed. A GH can be totally cat safe inside (and there are tons of photos to prove it), but not so cat safe outside.

Also, might want to check out the various threads about food. I'm sure any help during school days will be greatly appreciated, but afterwards, you might want to transition your dog to another food.

That is a great point! I actually have met many dogs who are good with cats indoors (or, rather, cats they "know") but will lunge for any other cat outside.

I will definitely consider alternative foods... as soon as I start making a salary. :P

I have another question (I don't know if I should ask this on another thread, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyways)— one of my current roommates, who I plan on rooming with next year, has a 10lb chihuahua that doesn't get along well with other dogs right away (with some time, she becomes perfectly fine with them), but generally does OK as long as the other dog doesn't react to (and amplify) her aggression (she also has stranger issues). What is the best way to deal with this when bringing home a new dog? I would certainly want to minimize stress and make sure my grey feels safe... should I keep them separated at first? Or get it "over with" right away?

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to answer your most recent question. If you haven't already, you might post in the training and behavior forum. I just wanted to offer a belated welcome to GreyTalk.

I also wanted to mention that Dr. Couto (in my opinion, the best greyhound vet ever) used to be a professor at UC-Davis. I don't know what possessed him to leave California to come to cold, icy (or hot and muggy) central Ohio but I am very thankful that he did. He has created a Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University that is quite unique. The program employs two full time veterinarians who are working on Phds. They focus entirely on greyhound health issues. They have done research into the medical idiosyncrasies of greyhounds (unique lab tests, etc.), how to handle bleeding issues, bone cancer, etc. Some of this research is done in conjunction with the local Children's Hospital. In addition they provide a weekly greyhound clinic day; free chemo drugs to any retired racer; joint studies with the Wheeling racetrack; free vet care for injured racers from the Wheeling track; free email consultations for any greyhound; and more that I am sure I am forgetting. All of this is funded solely by contributions from greyhound owners and research money. This gives you an idea of how obsessed we are with our hounds.

Dr. Couto is also in charge of oncology and hematology at the OSU vet school. My greyhound Joe was a blood donor for OSU. He lives with me and is my dog. He went into OSU every 8 weeks or so to donate blood. He unfortunately developed bone cancer. OSU did an amputation and enrolled him in several research studies. One was using Suramin in conjunction with Adriamycin. After this IV chemo he was entered into a study to determine whether Palladia will delay the growth of lung mets in dogs where there are not currently any radiologically visible mets. He is now 18 months post amp and doing well.

Here is a link:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/

Anyway, welcome to GreyTalk. Hopefully you will soon be a hound-owning member of the greyhound cult.

Jane (from central Ohio)

Guest JustGreyt05

Hey, congrats on school and on your interest in greys! I'm a third year vet student at Ohio State. Great to see fellow vet students intersted in hounds! First year, for me at least, would have been a great time to adopt a greyhound because it was some repeat of undergrad and I didn't have to study 24/7. Not sure how things are at Davis. I didn't get my dog until the end of summer between second and third year, but I'm very glad I didn't get a new dog second or third year. Our second year core classes are insane and with clinics starting third year, I can't imagine trying to get a routine down with a new dog in the house. So like I said, I think first year is a great time! Enjoy your feeding programs if you're willing to feed your dog Purina or Science Diet, and if your school has a blood donor program, greyhounds are often a big part of that so there is another thing to look into. At OSU we get free Heartgard and Frontline if our pets are in the blood donor program (my dog is not enrolled because I am wwwaaaayyyyy too neurotic. :rolleyes: ) Oh, and be prepared for your hound to be somewhat of a celebrity... so many people want to know "Is that a deer?" or "Is that one of those race dogs?" Very fun to educate others about these wonderful animals!

Guest irrationalrat

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice! Regarding my schedule — UC Davis students are on a new curriculum, so no one knows what second year is going to be like, though based on the structure I expect it will be about the same amount of work that we have now (we're taking subjects now that were originally presented in second year).

On a side note: I'm going to the Wine Country Greyhound Adoption Meet&Greet this Saturday in Sacramento — will any of you NorCal-ers be there? :)

Guest irrationalrat

Hi I'm Janet and I will be hosting the WCGA M&G on Saturday with my greyhounds George and Misty Blue!

Awesome! I look forward to meeting you and your hounds. :)

Guest irrationalrat

Hi I'm Janet and I will be hosting the WCGA M&G on Saturday with my greyhounds George and Misty Blue!

Awesome! I look forward to meeting you and your hounds. :)

Because I am silly enough not to have mentioned this earlier — the name's Millie.

I just submitted my application to WCGA today! I still need the OK from the landlord (which I mentioned in the app), who needs to have a realtor check on the state of the house (which is fine) since he lives out of state. I am coordinating a time for the realtor to stop by soon so *fingers crossed* he'll be fine with another dog in the house.