More Corn Questions

shawna

I've ordered Tractor some of the Murray's Ave cream for his corn. I've also started soaking it in Epsom salt and have kept up with the dremeling to keep it from getting outrageous, or any more outrageous. I also have a Therapaw boot, but he's managed to take it off a couple of times.

Is there any correlation between diet and corn production?

Is it possible that while we were in Florida he didn't get corns because he was running around on sand all the time and kept his paws exfoliated?

I feel bad for him.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Not a bad thought. I've often wondered that. Two of my three greyhounds had/have corns. The two got them at almost the exact same age. I live in a suburban environment and walk my pups twice a day on mostly pavement. Always made me wonder if this contributed to it. With that said, I also think there is something that makes them predisposed to the condition. My first grey had very straight back legs and a funny gait. I always thought that could be cause it as well. Boy I wish we could figure this one out.

I don't know of any correlation between corns & diet but I do agree about the surfaces they walk on. My corn dog Conor started limping very soon after I brought him home. Which leads me to believe he had them while racing but because he was always on a soft surface, they never bothered him. I had the ones on his front feet surgically removed (I really had no choice, they were so bad sad.gif) & the back ones (yes, he had them on all 4 paws) we're doing the wetting the pad/applying hyaluronic acid/corn cream routine. We're at 3 1/2 months & not seeing any change other than softer, younger looking pads. rolleyes.gif Conor's don't really grow out, they grow up into his pad. Dremeling really wouldn't do much for him.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest RNJaney09

I've ordered Tractor some of the Murray's Ave cream for his corn. I've also started soaking it in Epsom salt and have kept up with the dremeling to keep it from getting outrageous, or any more outrageous. I also have a Therapaw boot, but he's managed to take it off a couple of times.

Is there any correlation between diet and corn production?

Is it possible that while we were in Florida he didn't get corns because he was running around on sand all the time and kept his paws exfoliated?

I feel bad for him.

I am new to corns and have not yet heard about soaking them in Epsom salts as a treatment... is this just supposed to help soften them up to make hulling more affective?

Guest Geostar

I don't think there is any truth to the type of ground; rather the length of their nails..possibly. Or, it could be something like some humans get..a submerged callous..which keeps on coming up regardless of what you do. In humans, such a problem deals with how the person walks with their feet. I have such a 'problelm' on the bottom of my left foot and have had two surgeries.. It came back. Had a lot to do with the bones in my foot.

There is another thread in which I mentioned about a solution from a holistic vet. It worked on my grey.. Have anyone of you seen the note?

-star

Never thought about it but I can see how walking on hard surfaces like concrete might make corns worse -- sort of like a pearl in an oyster. Pre adoption they are on dirt, sand or grass most all the time.

I don't have a lot of advice other than don't do surgery (awful, terrible painful recovery and they just come back) and that we had luck with name brand duct tape such as Nashua or Duck.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg